The Student Room Group

muslim and started drinking alcohol - am I a bad muslim?

Scroll to see replies

hey, your prayers are invalid for 40 days after consuming alcohol, but don't feel bad, no ones perfect, everyone has their own journey, you will find what's best for you, also people who are telling you omg ur this and that let them be, you will find yourself within religion when its your time, hope everything goes well
Reply 161
Original post by londonmyst
No, it's not a universal belief among all followers of islam.
It is a universal fundamentalist interpretation found amongst islam's fundamentalist groups.
Plenty of fundamentalist christians say the same thing about the bible ascribing authorship to the holy spirit and describing the bible as infallible, inerrant and the literal word of God to be interpreted literally for all time.

Most followers of islam do acknowledge that the islamic book of scripture was written out by human scribes not God/islam's prophet and only compiled into a single text after the death of islam's prophet.
Many openly state that the transcription process was far from perfect, some shia sects allege that verses supportive of their ideas were deliberately removed during the transcription process and there are all sorts of complaints in relation to translated versions.

Indeed, and similar claims have been made about the Bible of which numerous versions also exist!
Original post by Amiimle
Not a bad thing at all, just liver cancer inducing!

I doubt occasional drinking will cause liver cancer, unless he's an alcoholic who's refusing to get treated
Reply 163
Don't worry. Everyone feels like that.
Eventually you'll die so don't live at all

Eventuall you'll die in an accident so don't go out at all

Eventually you'll be offended so don't talk at all
Original post by Anonymous
eventually you'll drink and have sex so don't drink at all
wow the only problem here is you ruining your liver or whatever to fit in. if you’re gonna do that then at least ENJOY IT and not do it to fit in
also u clearly don’t have strong faith. alcohol and eating pork is one of those sins that muslims completely stay away from! sex yeah shisha definitely haram relationships course but god forbid they drink a bit of wine
Reply 167
Original post by StormyWeather16
No offense, but it's not your place to say that. Trying to go into someone else's religion is a big no-no

No offense, but it's not your place to say that. Trying to go into someone going into someone else's religion is a big no-no

That doesn't appear to make any sense - care to elaborate?
Original post by IH8Studying
wow the only problem here is you ruining your liver or whatever to fit in. if you’re gonna do that then at least ENJOY IT and not do it to fit in

Ruining their life to fit-in with Muslims or other students?
Original post by RogerOxon
Ruining their life to fit-in with Muslims or other students?

other students of course
Reply 171
There's nothing wrong with free speech, but you should study these things before debating them. I don't mean that in a rude way, I'm just saying because I get tired of people giving their opinions and interpretations, saying there's no logic, when they've not studied the religion properly.

With all due respect, it is often the religionists who are ill-informed or misrepresenting or using spurious interpretations. Pretty much any contentious issue in scripture will have a whole variety of modernist, revisionist interpretations that require reams of intellectual gymnastics and a catalogue of logical fallacies in order to change the original meaning of a passage to something more acceptable to modern society.
Original post by supergrad
You're getting advice from a lot of non-muslims encouraging you on this path..

I doubt that anyone would encourage drinking to excess, or if you don't enjoy it. What I would encourage is to live a decent life, and do things that are fun. Islam looks anti-fun.

If you are living in accommodations, move back with you parents/family

Accommodation - no 's'.

2) Try to join your university islamic society, you will find in ISOC some of the most genuine and caring people who are willing to give their time and listen when you need.

Insulating yourself from anyone that is different is not a way to have an inclusive society.

4) Keep praying.. , there is a clear line between the muslim and the non-muslim and that is the prayer... although you will not get the reward for it; praying will make sure that you don't get it counted as 'not done' and you don't get lazy with regards to your responsibilities.

Praying is proven to achieve nothing.

5) This should have been first but ask Allah for His Help and for His Mercy to be guided to the straight path and to give you the strength to step away from this disease. See this as a way to get closer to Allah.

May Allah have mercy on you.

Isn't he the one that set this "test" in the first place? He's evil.
Reply 173
Original post by laughinglad999
l could tell if you smoked puff by the look of your face and your teeth and the way you talked

No you couldn't.
other students of course

I disagree.
Original post by RogerOxon
I disagree.

well that’s shocking... not 🙄
well that’s shocking... not 🙄

Shock me - type a capital letter! :smile:
no, no one knows. it's said the better Muslim is the one who says Assalamu alaykum first. one of the signs of near judgement day is that people like us will drink alcohol and do a lot of other bad things. the prophet said the signs are there for us to be cautious not to let it happen.A SOLITION: for your alcohol drinking is, there was once a sheikh who would solve everything by praying two rakat. so once a man came up to him and told the sheikh that I smoke too much. the sheikh replied first commit that you will pray two rakat everytime after you smoke. even if you have wudu do wudu again. so the man prayed like 10 rakat the first day, then 8 then slowly to 2 then none. the man came back to the sheikh and told him that everytime he wants to smoke shaytaan says dont smoke. why? because shaytaan hates it when we pray to Allah. another man came up to him and said I look at woman too much. the sheikh told him the same procedure. it worked and he went back to the sheikh and told him that everytime he hears the womans footsteps coming. shaytaan says don't look. because shaytaan hates prayer a lot. a person heard this advice and he couldn't wake up for fajr so he said before he slept that wallahi if I dont wake up for fajr I will pray 100 rakat. and shaytaan woke him up for fajr. he did t even miss a single prayer. see how we can use shaytaan lol.
so drinking is a very big sin. it's said your Deen will go far away.. the Qur'an says in explanation toxicants ( such as alcohol and drugs) have good in them BUT have more bad then good so therefore it is haram.
in the day of judgement we will be asked for the good things we have done as well as the bad things and the sins that Allah has forgives but those forgive. sins will not effect your place in that day.
if a person commits sin and each time he commits a sin a bottle would be placed on earth. then he commits so many that they cover the earth and even more that the bottles go on top of each other then reaches the skies. if he asks for forgiveness once all his sins would be forgiven.
Allah the .most merciful and kindness.
always ask allah. he will guide you.
it is a test and Allah will not give you something which you cannot handle. You are capable of handling it.
be better Muslim insha'Allah
see you in jannah ,yh?
Original post by mgi
Indeed, and similar claims have been made about the Bible of which numerous versions also exist!

Yes.
Describing their book of religious scripture as infallible, inerrant and the literal word of God to be interpreted literally for all time is the hallmark of religious fundamentalism- for all religions and religious sects.

I've seen 31 different english language bible translations and have 5 of them.
Fundamentalist christians tend to only classify the King James Version of the bible as inerrant and infallible.
While jehovah's witnesses have their own New World Translation of the bible that rejects the trinity and trinitarian associated ideas.

No intrinsic link between the two.

Iondonmyst
No, it's not a universal belief among all followers of islam.
It is a universal fundamentalist interpretation found amongst islam's fundamentalist groups.
Plenty of fundamentalist christians say the same thing about the bible ascribing authorship to the holy spirit and describing the bible as infallible, inerrant and the literal word of God to be interpreted literally for all time.

Most followers of islam do acknowledge that the islamic book of scripture was written out by human scribes not God/islam's prophet and only compiled into a single text after the death of islam's prophet.
Many openly state that the transcription process was far from perfect, some shia sects allege that verses supportive of their ideas were deliberately removed during the transcription process and there are all sorts of complaints in relation to translated versions.

Rubbish. For all intents and purposes it most certainly is a universal belief among Muslims that the Quran is the perfect, timeless and immutable word of God.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending