The Student Room Group

mum demands kids clothes have with ‘boys’ and ‘girls’ labels be scrapped

Scroll to see replies

This survey seems questionable. There is no link to the actual questions asked or methodology (and nothing on the onepoll website either). The jobs the children picked actually seem very accurate - most hairdressers and nurses are women, while most builders, engineers, footballers etc. are men. I'm suspicious of the conclusion that they think each sex "can't" do other jobs, merely that they tend not to.
Original post by chazwomaq
This survey seems questionable. There is no link to the actual questions asked or methodology (and nothing on the onepoll website either). The jobs the children picked actually seem very accurate - most hairdressers and nurses are women, while most builders, engineers, footballers etc. are men. I'm suspicious of the conclusion that they think each sex "can't" do other jobs, merely that they tend not to.

True. But it is about aspiration. If you only believe you can be a hairdresser then that is all you will aspire to be.

You don't need fancy scientific tests. Just ask any young kid. I taught about periods this week. The girls were horrified at the thought that a man might be teaching such a subject. Why is that?
Original post by ByEeek
If you only believe you can be a hairdresser then that is all you will aspire to be.

I don't believe this. I don't think girls "only believe they can be a hairdresser".
I don't believe this. I don't think girls "only believe they can be a hairdresser".

This was never suggested. But in a survey of children, girls tend to identify careers such as hairdressing as their only options. Similarly boys limit themselves to perceived male jobs like firefighters or police etc etc.

If you don't believe me, ask a good handful of kids for yourself? And then push the envelope and ask girls if they can be firefighters. You will be rather depressed especially if you ask kids from areas of the country where aspirations are low.
I don't know it is hard on the one hand why are we pandering to the snowflakes and the minority so much with everything in life. But on the other hand if a man/male wants to wear women's clothes why can't they women do it without any issue.

But you have to ask yourself if your partner decided they wanted to wear to the opposite sexes clothes tomorrow would you be accepting of it and allow them to do it? or would you leave them for it? I think that there is double standards with stuff like this, some people will say and argue for banning girls/boys/men's/women's clothes but in reality would they really be?
This gender neutrality of children is quite possibly the creepiest stuff that you can do openly and legally.
Original post by ByEeek
This was never suggested. But in a survey of children, girls tend to identify careers such as hairdressing as their only options. Similarly boys limit themselves to perceived male jobs like firefighters or police etc etc.

If you don't believe me, ask a good handful of kids for yourself? And then push the envelope and ask girls if they can be firefighters. You will be rather depressed especially if you ask kids from areas of the country where aspirations are low.

This is what you and the survey are suggesting!

I have children and I have talked to many about career plans (I do career talks at schools). I simply don't believe that boys and girls don't think they can do certain jobs. What the survey is probably getting at (although as I mentioned no link to methods or questions is given), is that boys and girls prefer different jobs, and they mainly see adult men and women doing certain jobs.
Reply 107
What the survey is probably getting at (although as I mentioned no link to methods or questions is given), is that boys and girls prefer different jobs, and they mainly see adult men and women doing certain jobs.

It's not a survey, it's an exercise on how to create divisions between boys and girls and exploit it for some form of purpose.
This is what you and the survey are suggesting!

I have children and I have talked to many about career plans (I do career talks at schools). I simply don't believe that boys and girls don't think they can do certain jobs. What the survey is probably getting at (although as I mentioned no link to methods or questions is given), is that boys and girls prefer different jobs, and they mainly see adult men and women doing certain jobs.

Of course. My kids at home prefer the food they know they like. They don't like food they haven't tried which is illogical.

I don't have any stats but I would hypothisise that on the whole kids end up in similar job roles to their parents and also by gender.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending