The Student Room Group

Why do people want to become teachers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Heads of departments are on pretty good money.

That’s a small majority of teachers.
Reply 21
Original post by CartoonSoldier
main reason people become teachers because:
they are passionate about their subject
to make a different to kids lives

and often, meanwhile, disrespecting their own lives- no work-life balance. Playing the, i am "a better teacher than you" game, while the headteacher appears only at break times and staff meetings! lol. The most disrespected "profession" in the UK for sure!
Heads of departments are on pretty good money.
:toofunny: Which Christmas cracker did you get that one from? :tongue:

Seriously though middle leadership roles include a significantly higher workload without the same proportional increase in wages.
Original post by mgi
and often, meanwhile, disrespecting their own lives- no work-life balance. Playing the, i am "a better teacher than you" game, while the headteacher appears only at break times and staff meetings! lol. The most disrespected "profession" in the UK for sure!

Looool what are u on about?
Original post by 04MR17
:toofunny: Which Christmas cracker did you get that one from? :tongue:

Seriously though middle leadership roles include a significantly higher workload without the same proportional increase in wages.

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/teachers-salary-and-teaching-benefits/teachers-pay-scale-salary

Looks pretty good to me.
Which section are you looking at with middle management in mind?:holmes:

Also, the most important paragrapph on that page...
Schools now have more freedom to develop their own pay policies to attract and retain the teachers that have the greatest impact on their pupils’ learning. So what you’re paid will be linked to performance.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes but it doesn’t take into account the hours of work they do at home at 9 o’clock at night marking books. They do a lot more than the hours of school time.

That's no one's problem lol that's like paying people for commuting (though I do believe attendance policies should be more relaxed especially in consideration OF the commute).
Original post by Kitten in boots
Your rather limited grasp of labour economics would lead one to conclude that you are either in a low paid job or unemployed.

Everyone knows I'm a grafter. And I'm talking about hierarchy, not economics. And it is a fact that teachers rank in DfE like sales associates in a retail company. Also, you have no idea what my education is. I had to drop out of uni because of financial reasons, but I did succeed majority of the time on my Business Management BSc course. Plus, it's the quite obvious truth. Teachers get paid less than every other rank at schools and definitely boards and the ministries, I'm highly inclined to believe. If they weren't, then I don't know why people are griping that their pay is low in the first place.
@Dunnig Kruger...im not on about Heads. They have a different, higher title and I'm sure higher pay, than the basic classroom teacher that we all are discussing.
Reply 29
Original post by CartoonSoldier
Looool what are u on about?

What am i on about? lol! In summary: teaching in secondary schools is a crap job!
Original post by Bang Outta Order
@Dunnig Kruger...im not on about Heads. They have a different, higher title and I'm sure higher pay, than the basic classroom teacher that we all are discussing.

I don't know about you, but if I were to go into teaching then I would aspire to become a head of department within a few years of starting in this profession.

Because any job that I do, I do to the best of my abilities. And I have no fear of taking on responsibilities.

Thinking about all the heads of department that were at mysecondary school, I'm confident that I could do at least as well at the admin and management aspects of the job as the lot of them.

The pay that heads of departments receive would be an incentive for me. And would attract me to becoming a secondary school teacher.

It's quite simple. My answer in response to the original post and thread title is: the pay.
Original post by 04MR17
Someone's got to make the teenagers less annoying?:erm:

We can only ask so much of busy roads :s-smilie:
Reply 32
I don't know about you, but if I were to go into teaching then I would aspire to become a head of department within a few years of starting in this profession.

Because any job that I do, I do to the best of my abilities. And I have no fear of taking on responsibilities.

Thinking about all the heads of department that were at mysecondary school, I'm confident that I could do at least as well at the admin and management aspects of the job as the lot of them.

The pay that heads of departments receive would be an incentive for me. And would attract me to becoming a secondary school teacher.

It's quite simple. My answer in response to the original post and thread title is: the pay.

Lool! The take home pay that heads of dept get for the work that the good ones do is a laughable joke! Good luck! And Bangouta order is known for his unintelligible thinking!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 33

Oh. You are back again! You were sorely missed. Didn't you get really angry about a tsr race debate a few days ago? Are you ok now?
Reply 34
Everyone knows I'm a grafter. And I'm talking about hierarchy, not economics. And it is a fact that teachers rank in DfE like sales associates in a retail company. Also, you have no idea what my education is. I had to drop out of uni because of financial reasons, but I did succeed majority of the time on my Business Management BSc course. Plus, it's the quite obvious truth. Teachers get paid less than every other rank at schools and definitely boards and the ministries, I'm highly inclined to believe. If they weren't, then I don't know why people are griping that their pay is low in the first place.

"Everyone knows I'm a grafter" We have never met you?
A lot of teachers fail at what they wanted to initially do, at least that was the case at my school.
Reply 36
Original post by NotNotBatman
A lot of teachers fail at what they wanted to initially do, at least that was the case at my school.

No. They get deluded by lies and find out when they join, how bad it is and how awful too many parents and headteachers are!
Original post by mgi
What am i on about? lol! In summary: teaching in secondary schools is a crap job!

you must have had a crap experience in secondary school. Well not all schools are the same as the one you went to pal
Original post by mgi
Lool! The take home pay that heads of dept get for the work that the good ones do is a laughable joke! Good luck! And Bangouta order is known for his unintelligible thinking!

Do you think that secindary school teacher heads of dept should get paid as much as Premier League footballers?

How much do you think they should earn?

What other jobs do you suggest that, for example a graduate in English should aim for instead?
I'm sure many PE, art, etc teachers failed going pro

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending