The Student Room Group

Prepare for A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Long-term illness. I've had to do them in one year, whilst only at school three days a week - Hence my older age :smile:
i don't know the boards for my subjects, so, can i really do anything? & i haven't decided on my subjects yet either for defiant
jelly1000
I haven't done anything yet, I'm going away next week & when I come back I'm going to order my History textbook off Amazon & read it sometime over the summer. [The History teacher asked us to/I actually find reading History textbooks interesting.]

oh which textbook is it? im on AQA and think it will be a great help! x
Reply 43
Original post by LittleMissTwinkle
i don't know the boards for my subjects, so, can i really do anything? & i haven't decided on my subjects yet either for defiant

I hope you would know if you were doing humanities or sciences, so either read a bunch of classics and develop a passion for literature and the arts by going to museums and just exploring around subjects. If you are interested in history, law or politics, go buy a copy of the Economist and see how far you can get through it. It's difficult reading, but every article is well written and will improve your reading and writing skills as well as your world knowledge.
If you're doing sciences, I would buy a subscription to a science magazine, like Popular Science if you want lighter reading or Science Illustrated for tougher topics. There are always loads of illustrated scientific encyclopaedias lying around in charity shops, and I personally find it fascinating just to read through them.
This sort of stuff will give you a leg up with general understanding of topics and you'll become enthusiastic about learning before you know it!
If you really aren't sure about anything, just brush up on things that you didn't really get at GCSE! This will undoubtedly help you in the long run.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 44
Haha I didn't think to check the dates of this thread.. oops
how can u get to know what exam board i will be doing and what parts i will be studying in sixth form?? ( my sixth form is beal high school and im external)
Original post by Jizzabelle
I'm studying for A-levels now and I'm in year ten..I think I'm a bit overenthusiastic! But what you're doing now you've finished school is a good idea I reckon :smile:.
I think it's great that you have such an obviously good work ethic but I will suggest that you don't do this anymore. Apply the preparation-activities to your GCSE studies and not something you haven't began. I am like you, very overenthusiastic, thinking about Degree and A-Levels when I was in year 9/10! However, take it from me that this preparation really will not benefit you. GCSEs want to test specific things and you will just loose marks if you go into things on the A-Level syllabus' because they're not relevant to that course. Furthermore, I'm not sure how you can prep this early on because you don't know your subjects for certain nor your exam boards at AS and they will all be different... Not to mention that you may be subject to reforms by then and things may have changed so you could and probably will anyway, end up wasting ALL of your time. Not to mention that the exam boards used could change by then. It's not unheard-of. Overall: study for what you're sitting!Good luck with your GCSEs :smile:
I've started reading some of my set texts for English Literature and some history books but I don't know how to prepare for Philosophy or Biology
Didn't realise CGP did "headstart" books, do they do all subjects ?

Original post by tomster
Has anybody started to prepare for A-levels in September?

I've just been going over Biology, Chemistry and Maths for about a hour a day, but thats because i've broke my wrist and have little else to do. The CGP "Head start" books have been a real help, as they recap all the necessary GCSE modules that will be used in more depth at A-level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending