The Student Room Group

Am I prepared for university?

Am I prepared for university if I’ve done 2 Extended certificates and an A level? I just feel nervous that I’ve done too vocational of courses to be ready and able at uni. The degree subject I’ve chosen is the one I’ve done at A level. Am I being overly insecure?
Original post by Anonymous
Am I prepared for university if I’ve done 2 Extended certificates and an A level? I just feel nervous that I’ve done too vocational of courses to be ready and able at uni. The degree subject I’ve chosen is the one I’ve done at A level. Am I being overly insecure?

Hi there!

I’m Pip, a third year TV production student.

Honestly, I don’t think anyone is ever 100% prepared for Uni! Everyone is a little worried about something, and that’s okay. In terms of your qualifications, I think you’re more than ready, I did an A level and a Double Cambridge diploma and I haven’t ever regretted that! It’s more about what you’ve learnt from the course rather than what the course was.

What are you studying? I hope this helped. 🙂

Pip

Hi,

It is completely normal and okay to feel a bit out of your depth when starting university. What will you be studying?

The best bit about first year is that everyone comes from a variety of backgrounds (academic and personal) so they try get everyone up to the same level by the end of your first year. There might be some reading on your university websites course that they recommend if you want to read around your subject but there is no expectation (unless the university has said it to you) to know much about the subject.

I hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Hi,

As others have said, it's entirely normal to not feel prepared. I would posit that as long as you meet the course requirements and you feel ready to go, then you're prepared! Nobody is going to judge you for qualifications you do or don't have, I'd be surprised if it came up more than once. Once you're on the course, you're set, no need to stress about qualifications. You got this!

Courtney H
Reply 4
Original post by BU Student Rep
Hi there!

I’m Pip, a third year TV production student.

Honestly, I don’t think anyone is ever 100% prepared for Uni! Everyone is a little worried about something, and that’s okay. In terms of your qualifications, I think you’re more than ready, I did an A level and a Double Cambridge diploma and I haven’t ever regretted that! It’s more about what you’ve learnt from the course rather than what the course was.

What are you studying? I hope this helped. 🙂

Pip

Thanks for the reply. I’ve chosen politics, which I did at A level and enjoyed, but I’m not certain whether experience in essays in one subject would allow me to be equipped for study it at university. I believe deep down that I’m probably just overthinking things but I can’t shake the thought that I could struggle.

Hi :h: I did a BTEC extended diploma before I began university and I'm now about to enter 3rd year. Remember that you met entry requirements to get into uni so I think you're probably more prepared than you think. All the best with everything! :h:

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending