The Student Room Group

Is Diagnostic Radiography appropriate for me?

Fill Fill Fill Fill Fill Fill
(edited 4 years ago)
can't see your post, sorry
Reply 2
Original post by KyleH123
can't see your post, sorry

Hello, it is up now.
Original post by Sweet Corn
Hello,

Hi again! The physics is not too mathsy if that makes sense, and a number of people in cohort have not come from a physics-heavy background (myself included! I only got a C in maths!). The lecturers (at cardiff & exeter) are great and are more than happy to help outside of lecture time - both of the unis i attended (probably any uni you go to will) run a maths class (usually weekly).

In terms of the biology, this would come into the anatomy & physiology but you may find it easier as it's easier to relate to your placements. Anatomy and physiology is more memorising than learning to a degree. I did an access course, and am now 3rd year. I personally wouldn't say it's harder, but there might be more content to learn (But you get way more time to learn it than access). Send me a PM with your email address and I'll see what I can do about the past papers :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey! I’ve found the the anatomy and physiology is very heavy. I’d say it’s about the level of A level. I think people struggle more with how much there is to learn rather than what they have to learn (if that makes sense). In terms of physics, I got an A at GCSE and find the level expected fine. Lecturers should help you if they know you struggle. However physics is the module that the most “fails” came from, as I think people just struggled to grasp it. It’s worth going to open days of several unis as they all do it differently. Some teach anatomy, some it’s self taught. Some unis are very physics heavy and some aren’t. It’s not the exact same methods and content at every uni that offers the course. Good luck!! I’m a second year and absolutely love it xx
Reply 5
Original post by KyleH123
Hi again! The physics is not too mathsy if that makes sense, and a number of people in cohort have not come from a physics-heavy background (myself included! I only got a C in maths!). The lecturers (at cardiff & exeter) are great and are more than happy to help outside of lecture time - both of the unis i attended (probably any uni you go to will) run a maths class (usually weekly).

In terms of the biology, this would come into the anatomy & physiology but you may find it easier as it's easier to relate to your placements. Anatomy and physiology is more memorising than learning to a degree. I did an access course, and am now 3rd year. I personally wouldn't say it's harder, but there might be more content to learn (But you get way more time to learn it than access). Send me a PM with your email address and I'll see what I can do about the past papers :smile:

Original post by Popserin
Hey! I’ve found the the anatomy and physiology is very heavy. I’d say it’s about the level of A level. I think people struggle more with how much there is to learn rather than what they have to learn (if that makes sense). In terms of physics, I got an A at GCSE and find the level expected fine. Lecturers should help you if they know you struggle. However physics is the module that the most “fails” came from, as I think people just struggled to grasp it. It’s worth going to open days of several unis as they all do it differently. Some teach anatomy, some it’s self taught. Some unis are very physics heavy and some aren’t. It’s not the exact same methods and content at every uni that offers the course. Good luck!! I’m a second year and absolutely love it xx

Thank you both for your input.

Popserin, from what you typed here and Kyle your response to Hazzabear in your own thread, this degree does seem like it will be too difficult for me.

How come 2nd and 3rd year is more difficult even though 2nd year is usually minority exams and 3rd year is no exams?

Popserin, from what you typed here and Kyle your response to Hazzabear in your own thread, this degree does seem like it will be too difficult for me.

How come 2nd and 3rd year is more difficult even though 2nd year is usually minority exams and 3rd year is no exams?

2nd year at Cardiff had some tough exams. 3rd year has dissertation and a few essays simultaneously
Reply 7

There are still exams in these years at my university, again it hugely depends on which uni you are looking at. The content steps up a level, there’s an expectation that you build on knowledge learned in first year. And also remember, exams can be easier than essays/dissertations depending on how you learn best!

Before you write it off completely I really suggest going to open days, I found that every university I visited had a different examination structure!
Reply 8
I’m not a diagnostic radiographer (doing a different AHP degree) but I do know that if the job you’re training for contains significant elements that you’re bad at or don’t like then you’re probably not going to enjoy it that much or be that good at it.

Someone on my course was terrible at the bread and butter side of things and somehow managed to scrape through. She was asking questions in final year that even first years would have not needed to ask. Her clinical skills are terrible and she did not find work in the NHS. She did find work in the private sector and the company has a terrible reputation. She graduated with a third (barely) and to this day I don’t know why she carried on with the degree. I have little doubt she’s going to make an appalling clinician who cuts corners to avoid doing the things she simply cannot do and I have serious concerns about the people under her care. She repeatedly said she thought the theory was pointless and I know for a fact she’s not keeping up with the evidence base.

If you feel any misgivings about your subject, please think twice before going for it. If you think your issues with the subject could be dealt with, get some help now. Don’t assume that the issues will go away when you get on the course or on the job.
Reply 9
Original post by giella
I’m not a diagnostic radiographer (doing a different AHP degree) but I do know that if the job you’re training for contains significant elements that you’re bad at or don’t like then you’re probably not going to enjoy it that much or be that good at it.

Someone on my course was terrible at the bread and butter side of things and somehow managed to scrape through. She was asking questions in final year that even first years would have not needed to ask. Her clinical skills are terrible and she did not find work in the NHS. She did find work in the private sector and the company has a terrible reputation. She graduated with a third (barely) and to this day I don’t know why she carried on with the degree. I have little doubt she’s going to make an appalling clinician who cuts corners to avoid doing the things she simply cannot do and I have serious concerns about the people under her care. She repeatedly said she thought the theory was pointless and I know for a fact she’s not keeping up with the evidence base.

If you feel any misgivings about your subject, please think twice before going for it. If you think your issues with the subject could be dealt with, get some help now. Don’t assume that the issues will go away when you get on the course or on the job.

That is quite a story. What Allied Health Profession do you work?

Edit.. to be honest I thought about your post and it is not actually helpful really. The other answers helped me in some way. I do not mean to be rude to you though, I am sure you wanted to help.

If any other people who have studied or are currently studying diagnostic radiography (please state what year you are in) sees this post, I am still interested in seeing your responses. Please give me some insight.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
I gave you advice to look into getting some help with issues you’re having with studying before you go any further with this career path. Those issues are not going to magically resolve. That’s pragmatic advice. You’re essentially saying that you only want to hear unconditional positive encouragement. Which means you’re not really open to much that would be of any practical value.
Reply 11
Original post by giella
You’re essentially saying that you only want to hear unconditional positive encouragement.

I did not mean that. Now you are being especially unhelpful.

I am not going to respond to you any more, this is not the point of this thread.

I am still looking specifically for opinions from diagnostic radiographers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
I think I’ve given you quite a lot of help. If you ever reach the level of maturity required to complete a healthcare related degree you’ll realise how much you were offered and simply refused to take.
Original post by giella
I think I’ve given you quite a lot of help. If you ever reach the level of maturity required to complete a healthcare related degree you’ll realise how much you were offered and simply refused to take.

Slightly uncalled for, I dread to think what your patients must think if you speak to them like that. All you’ve done is **** off a member of your course and probably put this person off studying. I’ve managed to provide advice without it being “unconditional positive encouragement”. Somewhere in your initial response is some advice but it’s hidden amongst moans and *****ing, not quite the point of the thread.
Reply 14
Original post by Popserin
Slightly uncalled for, I dread to think what your patients must think if you speak to them like that. All you’ve done is **** off a member of your course and probably put this person off studying. I’ve managed to provide advice without it being “unconditional positive encouragement”. Somewhere in your initial response is some advice but it’s hidden amongst moans and *****ing, not quite the point of the thread.

*Claps*

Very well written.

I tried to thumbs you up but have already done so too recently (so it won't let me).

Only thing that I really disagree with about your post is the first word (the word "slightly").

Thank you again for the diagnostic radiography insight that you provided me with before.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by giella
I gave you advice to look into getting some help with issues you’re having with studying before you go any further with this career path. Those issues are not going to magically resolve. That’s pragmatic advice. You’re essentially saying that you only want to hear unconditional positive encouragement. Which means you’re not really open to much that would be of any practical value.

Dear giella,

I want to say sorry about our unhappy exchanges before.

I have now decided by myself that studying Diagnostic Radiography is not an appropriate, pragmatic thing for me to do. It is not realistic. I will not be studying it. I am horrible at exams any higher than GCSE level. That is the plain, real truth.

Your advice does make sense, you must understand that since I was really interested in studying that subject it would be hard for me to swallow. I am sure that you understand already.

It was not helpful for you to type this, though:
Original post by giella
Which means you’re not really open to much that would be of any practical value.

And then to type about my maturity.. those words were not constructive for the purpose of this thread. Those words did let you down.

Hopefully me and you are okay, though. What Allied Health Profession do you work as?
Radiographer here

Bad news is that they will definitely have elements of AS level Chemistry, Biology and Physics (depending on University). Perhaps check every uni to see who has the least.

Good news is that I only had one module in first year and I found it to be easier than A-levels due to the multiple choice nature of the exam. After 1st semester there was no more pure science; it then became about how to use radiation in clinical practice. The further you progress in the profession, the less you will need to understand how electrons interact with human tissue. You just need to understand how to operate the machines and acquire images. Many radiographers will not like that I said that haha but I stand by it.

I graduated 3 years ago and would struggle with A-level sciences now. Therefore, it does not form an integral part of the profession afterwards unless you choose to go into academia I guess.

Final note: radiography will be a horrible waste of your time if you are not passionate about it. Not only does it sound like you are going to have to push yourself academically, but the salary will not compensate for a lack of passion. I currently work in industry and am earning more than most in the NHS. However, I am still working alongside idiots (that don't even have a formal qualification to their name) on the same salary. If you are doing it for the glory then remember that the general public will perceive you as a nurse.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi

What tips can you give to someone who is struggling with the physics? Any books/revision tools that can help? Is it really just A Level stuff? Studying at BCU. Any help is appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending