The Student Room Group

Struggling to get a job

Hi, I’m a first year at college and I’m really struggling to get a job at the minute. I’ve never been employed, have zero work experience/references so you can understand why I’m having such a hard time getting one. It seems like every job I’ve applied to that clearly states “no experience” ends up rejected or ignored. It’s frustrating, I’ve been applying for jobs since the start of July and haven’t received a single interview. All my friends seem to have jobs now and I feel like it’ll be good for me to get one as well, since it’s good for when I go to Uni where I’ll actually require some experience. Are there any tips you can give me as to where to find jobs that hire my age bracket [16+] and how to market myself better? I know I have to just keep trying... but with every rejected application I feel it in my soul lol. Sorry if I come off as entitled or self-loathing.. I’m frustrated.

Scroll to see replies

Mcdonald's always hire, its actually nice I loved working there when I was 16 because everyone is between the ages of 16-30 mostly, lots of people from college work there. Met most of my long term friends and my current partner there

Im 20 now.
Original post by Anonymous
I know I have to just keep trying... but with every rejected application I feel it in my soul lol. Sorry if I come off as entitled or self-loathing.. I’m frustrated.

I have a suspicion that they only want to hire people from poorer backgrounds, I know this is defeatist but it seems that way from my perspective...please don't blame yourself, and of course try the suggestions from other people on this thread, hopefully you can dis-prove my theory or find a boss without this mind-set
Reply 3
Workings a mugs game I've been on the dole ever since I turned 18 and am living the dream. Get up when I want, do whatever I want all day and when pay day comes in I can get drunk without having to worry about work the next day.

Don't worry so much about getting a job.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MrRossL
Workings a mugs game I've been on the dole ever since I turned 18 and am living the dream. Get up when I want, do whatever I want all day and when pay day comes in I can get drunk without having to worry about work the next day.

You want to be ashamed of yourself I hope this is a troll response

[edited]
It is, his other posts include him saying his friends a muslim and hes wiped his backside with the Quran, and wishing that everyone he hates gets cancer. Hopefully you will be banned
(edited 4 years ago)
that is disgusting lol
Reply 6
Original post by carleymariex

Why should I be ashamed? Its my life, I'll do what I want. Working isn't for me so not going to depress myself just to fit in with the opinions of the working class.
Reply 7

[edited]
It is, his other posts include him saying his friends a muslim and hes wiped his backside with the Quran, and wishing that everyone he hates gets cancer. Hopefully you will be banned

That did happen though people like you are so annoying it's either your way or you scream troll. We're all different. Grow up.
Original post by MrRossL
That did happen though people like you are so annoying it's either your way or you scream troll. We're all different. Grow up.

Why should the tax payer support you though? consider that you contribute nothing to society apart from being lazy lmfao
Reply 9
Mcdonald's always hire, its actually nice I loved working there when I was 16 because everyone is between the ages of 16-30 mostly, lots of people from college work there. Met most of my long term friends and my current partner there

Im 20 now.

Haha I did apply there but I got rejected (not surprised)
I have a suspicion that they only want to hire people from poorer backgrounds, I know this is defeatist but it seems that way from my perspective...please don't blame yourself, and of course try the suggestions from other people on this thread, hopefully you can dis-prove my theory or find a boss without this mind-set

I am from a poorer background :frown: it is hard
Original post by dontrevise
Why should the tax payer support you though? consider that you contribute nothing to society apart from being lazy lmfao

exactly. Im all up for supporting those in society who need it. But if your fully able and know full well you're just sitting on your arse to get from the system - why should I have to go and work 14 hour shifts at the hospital to support these people. Id rather give my money to disabled social care, refugees or the like. Not people who watch television all day
Have you been involved in any clubs etc?
My first CV was boosted by my extra curricular activities which showed I worked well in a team etc.
With regards to references, ask a teacher at your college.
I am from a poorer background :frown: it is hard

it is hard for everyone regardless of background, there are not a lot of jobs available due to robots at self-checkout etc

are you in a big city location? if so, have you tried asking at restaurants? either front of house or in the kitchen (much harder work)

if you're willing to work outdoors, have you thought about casual work on construction sites? (if you're male they will accept you but you need your own safety boots)

they should hire you because you're under 25, remind them you are a bargain and a good worker:

Year 25 and over £8.21
21 to 24 £7.70
18 to 20 £6.15
Under 18 £4.35
Apprentice £3.90
Reply 14
Hi, I’m a first year at college and I’m really struggling to get a job at the minute. I’ve never been employed, have zero work experience/references so you can understand why I’m having such a hard time getting one. It seems like every job I’ve applied to that clearly states “no experience” ends up rejected or ignored. It’s frustrating, I’ve been applying for jobs since the start of July and haven’t received a single interview. All my friends seem to have jobs now and I feel like it’ll be good for me to get one as well, since it’s good for when I go to Uni where I’ll actually require some experience. Are there any tips you can give me as to where to find jobs that hire my age bracket [16+] and how to market myself better? I know I have to just keep trying... but with every rejected application I feel it in my soul lol. Sorry if I come off as entitled or self-loathing.. I’m frustrated.

Have you talked with your friends about how they found their jobs and what they did on their applications?

There are lots of factors as to why you may not be successful. There's plenty of good advice on the TSR Careers and Jobs Forum, and you need to consider:

1. Are you applying for appropriate jobs?
2. Is your CV and covering letter right for the job, and do you tailor them for each occasion?
3. As Anonymous #3 says, include extracurricular activities that show you can work in a team, use your initiative, take responsibility, eg prefect, mentor, team sports, uniformed organisations such as cadets, volunteering. None of these have to relate directly to any job you want, but they will highlight certain personal qualities.
Original post by Surnia
Have you talked with your friends about how they found their jobs and what they did on their applications?

There are lots of factors as to why you may not be successful. There's plenty of good advice on the TSR Careers and Jobs Forum, and you need to consider:

1. Are you applying for appropriate jobs?
2. Is your CV and covering letter right for the job, and do you tailor them for each occasion?
3. As Anonymous #3 says, include extracurricular activities that show you can work in a team, use your initiative, take responsibility, eg prefect, mentor, team sports, uniformed organisations such as cadets, volunteering. None of these have to relate directly to any job you want, but they will highlight certain personal qualities.

it is hard for everyone regardless of background, there are not a lot of jobs available due to robots at self-checkout etc

are you in a big city location? if so, have you tried asking at restaurants? either front of house or in the kitchen (much harder work)

if you're willing to work outdoors, have you thought about casual work on construction sites? (if you're male they will accept you but you need your own safety boots)

they should hire you because you're under 25, remind them you are a bargain and a good worker:

Year 25 and over £8.21
21 to 24 £7.70
18 to 20 £6.15
Under 18 £4.35
Apprentice £3.90

Have you been involved in any clubs etc?
My first CV was boosted by my extra curricular activities which showed I worked well in a team etc.
With regards to references, ask a teacher at your college.

Thank you for all your help so far! I've been taking all this advice and today I just received a confirmation for a telephone interview for a job!! I'm super grateful. Thank you everyone!
Reply 16
Good luck
Reply 17
Thank you for all your help so far! I've been taking all this advice and today I just received a confirmation for a telephone interview for a job!! I'm super grateful. Thank you everyone!

Yay! Good luck!

And, if things don't work out this time, remember what you did with your application to get the interview, and the kind of questions you can expect to be asked, and use that experience for next time :crossedf:
Reply 18
Original post by Surnia
Yay! Good luck!

And, if things don't work out this time, remember what you did with your application to get the interview, and the kind of questions you can expect to be asked, and use that experience for next time :crossedf:

Thanks! Also did you use my code ^_^

fingers and toes all crossed for you
good luck with the interview prep, and remember there will be other interviews, they are checking you're a good fit with them and you get the chance to check they're a good fit with you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending