The Student Room Group

Banking fraud

Hi,

So im in a bit of a dilemma.
I recently booked a holiday with my friends, travelling out in about a week’s time. Everything has been booked, both the hotel and train tickets from my card. However, i didn’t realise the dates clash with my partner’s mother’s birthday :/

Previous years we’ve always celebrated together so he’d really like me to be there and asked if i could perhaps change the dates or cancel and re-book at another time. Im not getting a refund from my hotel as it has a no cancellation policy.
This may sound a little naughty but he’s asked me to call the bank and tell them i didnt make the transactions so they refund me 😬 i really wnat to go on this holiday and cant be bothered with the hassle of cancelling plans and ruining it for the rest, but i also dont wsnt to break his heart in doing so.
So I want to ‘pretend’ i actually called the bank to report it as fraud but they didnt refund me as they said it was a genuine transaction...
So does anyone know how the fraud department in banks work? What the process is for investigating and what i could tell my partner the reason for the fraud rejection is?

If it helps, i paid via debit card and online on my phone. I have used this phone to purchase stuff previously and i have also used my card to purchase stuff since!

Thank you in advance (i know its an awkward one)
Reply 1
You shouldn’t pretend you never booked the flights or the hotel, that’s even worse. You should either go on your holiday with your friends, or not go, suck up that you’ve lost some money and celebrate your mother in law’s birthday. You can’t attempt to do a bit of both.
Reply 2
Original post by Deggs_14
You shouldn’t pretend you never booked the flights or the hotel, that’s even worse. You should either go on your holiday with your friends, or not go, suck up that you’ve lost some money and celebrate your mother in law’s birthday. You can’t attempt to do a bit of both.

I think they just want to know how to lie to their partner and then go on holiday, not cancel the bookings by talking to the bank.

I'd help but I have no idea. Good luck OP.
Original post by Deggs_14

Sorry i dont think my question is very clear. I don't want to pretend i didn't book the hotel/flight, because i did. But i want to pretend i called my bank to request a refund (Eventhough i wont), but i want to give him a reason as to why it was rejected in case he asks. So like, maybe the fact the bank tracked my IP address and said i have purchased from this ip address before? (I dont know if this is something they do btw, its just an example).
prob better standing up to your partner rather than the whole 'downward spiral of lies thing'

His heart will be broken if you don't attend his mummy's birthday? every year? Total wet.
Original post by Piruleta1995
Sorry i dont think my question is very clear. I don't want to pretend i didn't book the hotel/flight, because i did. But i want to pretend i called my bank to request a refund (Eventhough i wont), but i want to give him a reason as to why it was rejected in case he asks. So like, maybe the fact the bank tracked my IP address and said i have purchased from this ip address before? (I dont know if this is something they do btw, its just an example).

Wouldn't you in said hypothetical situation then get in trouble of the bank by lying? If they could find out it was a genuine transaction?
Also as far as I am aware they wouldn't do a refund....
this is the kind of cover up that could be straight out of The Worst Week of My Life

just tell your boyfriend you can't really afford to lose all this money or work out what you want to do most
So you haven't lied to the bank yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending