The Student Room Group

What Americanisms do you really dislike?

Scroll to see replies

None. I'm more annoyed by people bothered by such inconsequential bull****.
Original post by kkboyk
Fuel efficiency being in mpg instead of l/100km

Not an Americanism - the US and Imperial gallons are different.
The introduction of 'Majors and Minors' into British University degree courses.
i agree. it is the US Government and their foreign policy.
All bashing and invading other countries (Iraq etc) And then stealing other country resources. Such as oil.

To make themselves as the Great number 1 in the world.

Putting up sanctions if they think that they are losing their competitive advantages. Technological advances. And stopping other countries pipelines.
Original post by NotNotBatman
None. I'm more annoyed by people bothered by such inconsequential bull****.

yess
I like this thread - one irritating thing is when people in service industries say "have a nice day" - they never used to do that and it's so insincere. I always feel like replying Well my dog just died but ok
when they're sooooooooo loud and over-the-top about everything
I wasn't sure about "catch feelings" to start with, but I quite like it now.
Reply 28
I love Americanism. It just makes the English language so much simpler to use and understand. Their accent is also fab.
That's one of the main reasons I think they have been leading the world. Focusing on more important things than accent and language lol.
Not gonna lie when I see brits using "y'all" I wanna strangle them
Original post by TreeFellOnMe
Not gonna lie when I see brits using "y'all" I wanna strangle them

i see it used online in a jokey way! fortunately i've never heard it in real life...
Original post by Deggs_14
Oh my goodness so many!
Spellings. Why do we now see every British supermarket spelling yoghurt as yogurt. People saying the word movie when it should be film. People saying “can I get” in a coffee shop instead of “please may I have”. Upwards inflection is so annoying and cringe. And the American past participle of the word “get”. I never use get, I use other words like have, be, receive, acquire, etc instead.
And worst of all, the dreaded word “like”, used as a sentence filler. I hate Americanisation and cultural infiltration of the American language upon the U.K. our language is slowly dying and it pains me :frown:

Upward inflection is common in the Welsh accent.

I agree with the rest of your post though. Although I think “please may I have” is more associated to class.
Original post by Andrew97
Halloween is something that irritates me.

Not a fan of Black Friday, it makes no sense for us as we don’t have thanksgiving the day before.

Black Friday for us has always been the last major night out before Christmas. It’s sad that it’s been replaced with the American custom.

One of my worst Americanisms is when people say “take out” rather than “take away”.
Nothing
Reply 34
Oh my goodness so many!
Spellings. Why do we now see every British supermarket spelling yoghurt as yogurt. People saying the word movie when it should be film. People saying “can I get” in a coffee shop instead of “please may I have”. Upwards inflection is so annoying and cringe. And the American past participle of the word “get”. I never use get, I use other words like have, be, receive, acquire, etc instead.
And worst of all, the dreaded word “like”, used as a sentence filler. I hate Americanisation and cultural infiltration of the American language upon the U.K. our language is slowly dying and it pains me :frown:

Lol "please may I have" 🤣. I have more important things to do.
"from the get go" :angry::angry:

"i could care less " :angry: :angry: :angry:
I actually like most of them, and even use some such as 'movie' and 'elevator'.
Reply 37
Original post by A_J_B
Lol "please may I have" 🤣. I have more important things to do.

Do you? I believe a few manners go a long way.
Reply 38
Do you? I believe a few manners go a long way.

I just think its a bit unnecessary really. If you are polite and friendly does that matter that much?
But hey, people definitions of manners are different.
Original post by the bear
"i could care less :angry: :angry: :angry:

I was going to say none but then I saw this. I'll never understand why they say that.

Quick Reply

Latest