The Student Room Group

hair dye

when u dye your hair using them colour mix bottle packs it always says 'do not store' onece oped ie throw away but im guessing this is more for selling purposes. is it possible to re use the mixed dye as ive still got loads left and if i throw away it will be a waste
Reply 1
I wouldn't risk it if I were you....if it went wrong u certainly couldn't complain! But I've never treid it........have u already mixed them ? If you have I wouldn't reuse them, but if you haven't then you should be okay
Reply 2
alio
when u dye your hair using them colour mix bottle packs it always says 'do not store' onece oped ie throw away but im guessing this is more for selling purposes. is it possible to re use the mixed dye as ive still got loads left and if i throw away it will be a waste

i tried that but nothing happened as it was all really dried up prolly coz it was in summer
Reply 3
k@tieH
I wouldn't risk it if I were you....if it went wrong u certainly couldn't complain! But I've never treid it........have u already mixed them ? If you have I wouldn't reuse them, but if you haven't then you should be okay

yea its mixed ive just used it it seems a really bad waste though as it cost £10 and ive only used 1/5 of the stuff due to my short hair lol.
Reply 4
£10 for hair dye??
I buy mine in the sales. Once I bought a ton of Herbal Essences for 67p each from Boots.
Reply 5
Does anyone know any good unatural colours (pinks/blues/purples/bright reds) that won't fade fast?
Or a way of doing it that makes the dye last?
Reply 6
Luize
Does anyone know any good unatural colours (pinks/blues/purples/bright reds) that won't fade fast?
Or a way of doing it that makes the dye last?

Whatever you do dont buy colour shots.. they come out random colours, and fade megga quick..
I did mine purple, and it came out bright pink and had all but gone within 2 weeks.
Reply 7
alio

You can't store it because the chemical ingredients become unreactive after a while. Don't ask me WHY, that's just what it said on some hair dye I had once.
Reply 8
alio

It's not a selling purpose. It's because of the breakdown of the chemicals. It's no good after a while - and you wouldn't want to use it on your hair.
Reply 9
I forgot to throw some hair dye away and left the bottle on the side and went out of the room for the evening.. when I came back, it had grown in volume, oozed out of the bottom and trickled all over my stuff. So yeah, throw it away!
Reply 10
F. Poste
I forgot to throw some hair dye away and left the bottle on the side and went out of the room for the evening.. when I came back, it had grown in volume, oozed out of the bottom and trickled all over my stuff. So yeah, throw it away!

That happened to me, and it wasnt even my air that got dyed.. but my friend and he left it on the windowsill, and it all oozed down my wall onto my pillow while i was sleeping :mad:
Oh yeah - hair dye has hydrogen peroxide in it (or something similar), right? So yes it would break down after a while.
Reply 12
isnt Hydrogen peroxide only in blonde dye?
Reply 13
t0mmie
isnt Hydrogen peroxide only in blonde dye?

Hydrogen peroxide is the bleach in blonde dye. But other dye still has chemicals (which is why it smells so bad) so you should throw it away.

If you want cheap (but still good) hair dye, go to Wilkos. Or Asda/Tesco etc sometimes reduces some, but usually only in certain colours/makes at a time. I dyed my hair red on Thursday just because it was reduced to £2.
Reply 14
You cant use hair dyes that long after they've been mixed they simply do not work. And I agree-£10 on hair dye?! What you using?
Reply 15
you can't save it. for a couple of years ago it was on the news that a bottle had exploaded because the girl had tried to save it. since then it says on some bottles (some brands) that you can't save it cause it is dangerous and might expload.
alio

Don't mix it. Your hair is too beautiful to add unknown chemicals like that to it. You're worth much better. In fact have you considered getting your hair coloured professionally? Often the effect lasts longer, as well.
Reply 17
I wouldn't risk it - if it's bright coloured stuff then it;s normally ok cos it;'s just stain but if it's stuff that's meant to look natural then the dye is a lot more complex and often seperates out and just goes plain NASTY

Latest

Trending

Trending