The Student Room Group

My expensive pen got stolen

My Parker pen got stolen and I know the person who stole it. I told the teacher and school staff they won’t do anything about it. So can I take him to court ?
the legal route is unlikely to bring you closure. fewer than 1% of cases of theft from the person result in a conviction.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/07/fewer-1-100-theft-offences-solved-police-analysis-shows-police/
Reply 2
Court seems a bit too drastic for just a pen mate. Calmly confront the person who took your pen and ask if you can have it back. If they deny that they have it then there's nothing you can do I'm afraid. If they refuse to give it back but accept that they have it then mention it to a teacher again and see what happens. If it really means a lot to you then talk to someone with a higher status in the school to see if they can help
Original post by Jyro
Court seems a bit too drastic for just a pen mate. Calmly confront the person who took your pen and ask if you can have it back. If they deny that they have it then there's nothing you can do I'm afraid. If they refuse to give it back but accept that they have it then mention it to a teacher again and see what happens. If it really means a lot to you then talk to someone with a higher status in the school to see if they can help

You can take someone to court for spitting on you if an expensive pen was stolen then i dont see why not
Original post by Anonymous
My Parker pen got stolen and I know the person who stole it. I told the teacher and school staff they won’t do anything about it. So can I take him to court ?

go for it but doesnt it take ages to actually get a case in court. they might not take it seriusly and put you righhhttt at then end and by the time that happens.
youve left school
Reply 5
Original post by Y274
You can take someone to court for spitting on you if an expensive pen was stolen then i dont see why not

That's fair enough. I just don't know if its really worth going through a long court process for the sake of a pen but if it really means a lot to OP and is expensive then yeah you're right court might be a viable option
You've learnt an important life lesson.

Never bother with an expensive pen when a cheap Bic does an identical job.
For a pen? Get a grip lol

I give you my sympathy. my Swarovski pen got stolen. as well as my whole TB pencil case. I give up now and I just carry a pen and pencil in my blazer. anything else i borrow
Original post by Y274
I give you my sympathy. my Swarovski pen got stolen. as well as my whole TB pencil case. I give up now and I just carry a pen and pencil in my blazer. anything else i borrow

That's right. I wouldn't bring anything expensive into school.
how expensive was the pen exactly. If it wasnt over 100 pounds id say just leave it and keep confronting him/ her
Steal it back?
Reply 12
Original post by the bear
the legal route is unlikely to bring you closure. fewer than 1% of cases of theft from the person result in a conviction.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/07/fewer-1-100-theft-offences-solved-police-analysis-shows-police/

do you a list for the charge rate of ALL crimes by any chance?
Original post by ANM775
do you a list for the charge rate of ALL crimes by any chance?

ask my friend Mr G. O. O'Gle

How expensive is the pen? Is it easily identifiable and distinctive?
If you know for certain, then as suggested take it back or.
If you have proof it is yours, then make a formal complaint in writing to the headmaster backed up by a parent.
You need proof it is yours as there are many Parker pens.

Court is expensive and takes a long time. You can try if you wish, but probably not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending