The Student Room Group

Transfer to RG Uni with Foundation Year AND Bad A-Levels

Hey,

Results day gave me the worst shock of my life with CCD :frown: but I managed to get onto the Business Course at Sussex:smile: with a foundation year and I was wandering if there are any top unis that will consider a transfer into the first year without considering my A-levels:s-smilie:.

THANK YOUUUUU!:h:
Original post by Dx_ana
Hey,

Results day gave me the worst shock of my life with CCD :frown: but I managed to get onto the Business Course at Sussex:smile: with a foundation year and I was wandering if there are any top unis that will consider a transfer into the first year without considering my A-levels:s-smilie:.

They’ll always consider your A levels. Your UCAS application has to include your full educational history.

If this is something that you want to do then get a move on. You need to ring universities that you’re interested in tomorrow to ask if your Sussex foundation year will be considered acceptable for first year entry. And then get your ucas application including ps and a reference from Sussex finished and submitted by 6pm next Wednesday.
Original post by Dx_ana
Hey,

Hi there,

I think the only way you could get a solid and reliable answer would be to contact the admissions departments for the Russell Group universities you'd be interested in and ask them. They can give you reliable answers regarding whether or not they'd consider you with your A-Level results and a foundation year. Other than that, another option could be to take a gap year and re-sit your A-levels and re-apply to Russell Group unis, as most universities are fine with re-sit results.

However, Sussex is still an amazing university so you shouldn't feel disappointed. Going to a Russell Group uni isn't everything and doesn't necessarily give you a better education than other unis - it all depends on what you put into your studies.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a third year Natural Sciences student
Original post by Dx_ana
Hey,

Yes some unis except some foundations as entry instead of A-levels, you will need to contact the admissions tutor (in the department the course offered that you want to do is in) for each uni you want to apply to. Then you need to submit a ucas application (and get a reference, when I applied with an FY to other unis they specified that it needed to be from my university personal tutor)

A note on the RG thing, as someone who went to a RG you will find if you go there that as soon as you are in 2nd year they start telling you that RG doesn't mean much to most employers and doesn't help with the job search in most cases (which is true). Don't transfer to an RG because you think the teaching or employment prospects will be better as chances are they won't be (unless you want to go into IB in which case you need to transfer to a targer or semi target uni). Employment prospects hinge on your ability to write applications, perform company tests, interview well, have done a relevant summer internship and be able to draw on your experiences of it etc etc
Original post by Dx_ana
Hey,

Hey, basically confirming what everyone else has said but I think you should be fine to transfer into first year if you finish this year with good results, that's what I'm going to do with psychology and when asking uni's like uni of manchester, nottingham etc they all said that they will consider people with foundation years on a case by case basis. Obviously they will look at your a levels but if you have good results from your foundation year then maybe they'll let you off, could always say you had 'personal circumstances'. But also like everyone's said, don't transfer just because it's a rg uni, make sure you genuinely prefer the course, place, modules etc Good luck x
Do unis accept foundation years easily? and which unis do it?
Original post by harris358
Do unis accept foundation years easily? and which unis do it?

Sometimes. It depends on the foundation year and the university.

Freestanding international foundation years are the least accepted.
Original post by PQ
Sometimes. It depends on the foundation year and the university.

Freestanding international foundation years are the least accepted.

I probably might do the Aston uni foundation year or Swansea Uni foundation year for engineering
Original post by harris358
I probably might do the Aston uni foundation year or Swansea Uni foundation year for engineering

It’s much cheaper and wider accepted to resit your A levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending