The Student Room Group

Extended Degree/Foundation for Sciences (MPharm) in Hertfordshire Uni Advice?

So i have received an unconditional offer from the University of Hearts for an Extended degree for medical sciences... i am over the moon because i still have an opportunity to study into Mpharm
However i have a few questions....

1: What are the lectures times and days? (specifically in the Oakland's Campus)
I am currently have a good part time job and i be devastated to leave due to clashes with the lecture times
2: Is it hard by any chance or a breeze?
I have done science A levels (Chem/Bio) but is the extended degree as hard as A-Levels?
3: Student experiences?
I am curious to know anyone who has done an extended degree there and is now a qualified pharmacist. And to know their experiences, struggles and how the extended year has benefited them.
Thanks
Original post by Juniper Plant
So i have received an unconditional offer from the University of Hearts for an Extended degree for medical sciences... i am over the moon because i still have an opportunity to study into Mpharm
However i have a few questions....

1: What are the lectures times and days? (specifically in the Oakland's Campus)
I am currently have a good part time job and i be devastated to leave due to clashes with the lecture times
2: Is it hard by any chance or a breeze?
I have done science A levels (Chem/Bio) but is the extended degree as hard as A-Levels?
3: Student experiences?
I am curious to know anyone who has done an extended degree there and is now a qualified pharmacist. And to know their experiences, struggles and how the extended year has benefited them.
Thanks

Hello @Juniper Plant

1. It's hard to say. The timetables won't have been made yet, but I would expect 2-5 days a week depending on how spaced out your timetable is. I would consider discussing with your manager if it would be possible to rearrange your shift in future, just in case, but explain that it's still unknown as of yet.

2. Given your A-Level background I wouldn't expect it to be too hard in your first year or so, and from there it will gradually progress in difficulty - you won't be thrown in at the deep end, and if you feel you are struggling, our lecturers are always happy to help students!

3. As an engineering student, I'm not sure I can answer that! You can however talk to Noor, one of our Pharmacy students through UniBuddy!
Original post by HertsExRep
Hello @Juniper Plant

1. It's hard to say. The timetables won't have been made yet, but I would expect 2-5 days a week depending on how spaced out your timetable is. I would consider discussing with your manager if it would be possible to rearrange your shift in future, just in case, but explain that it's still unknown as of yet.

2. Given your A-Level background I wouldn't expect it to be too hard in your first year or so, and from there it will gradually progress in difficulty - you won't be thrown in at the deep end, and if you feel you are struggling, our lecturers are always happy to help students!

3. As an engineering student, I'm not sure I can answer that! You can however talk to Noor, one of our Pharmacy students through UniBuddy!

Thanks! this really helped
i have one last question tho?
are applicants applying for an extended degree still eligible for student finance? the government website states to contact the university in regards to the recognition of the course? can students going through an extended degree to enter an undergraduate course eligible to apply for student finance or would they have to apply for a loan through an external company or is there any other alternative in relation to this...
Thanks
Reply 3
Thanks! this really helped
i have one last question tho?
are applicants applying for an extended degree still eligible for student finance? the government website states to contact the university in regards to the recognition of the course? can students going through an extended degree to enter an undergraduate course eligible to apply for student finance or would they have to apply for a loan through an external company or is there any other alternative in relation to this...
Thanks

Hey did you get the funding? And did you also get into the pharmacy course?
Original post by Spla917
Hey did you get the funding? And did you also get into the pharmacy course?

I didn’t apply for maintainable loan as i didn’t need it and yeah i got 90% average, i found the extended year easy compared to the A-levels so i am in my first year of pharmacy, i would have applied to a better Pharmacy school like UCL, as my average was high however i stuck with the University of Hertfordshire :smile: hope this helps
Reply 5
I didn’t apply for maintainable loan as i didn’t need it and yeah i got 90% average, i found the extended year easy compared to the A-levels so i am in my first year of pharmacy, i would have applied to a better Pharmacy school like UCL, as my average was high however i stuck with the University of Hertfordshire :smile: hope this helps

Wow congrats🥳 what grades did you get before applying to the foundation course?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6

Hi, I’ve been accepted for the extended degree for sciences. I wanted to ask in more detail what campus you went to, and how the teachers were? What precisely did you learn for the course? And what modules did you pick? Thank you
Reply 7
Original post by CandiiCG
Hi, I’ve been accepted for the extended degree for sciences. I wanted to ask in more detail what campus you went to, and how the teachers were? What precisely did you learn for the course? And what modules did you pick? Thank you

Hii, I’ve also been accepted into this - are you looking to go into Mpharm? lmk if anyone replies!! tyy
Reply 8
Original post by Sumaxah27
Hii, I’ve also been accepted into this - are you looking to go into Mpharm? lmk if anyone replies!! tyy

Yh that’s right, I haven’t received a reply from her actually, what campus are you gonna be on?
Reply 9
Yh that’s right, I haven’t received a reply from her actually, what campus are you gonna be on?

I’m gonna be living at home but I think most lessons will be at NHC? have you received your timetable yet because I haven’t and idk if that’s for everyone else
Reply 10
Original post by Sumaxah27
I’m gonna be living at home but I think most lessons will be at NHC? have you received your timetable yet because I haven’t and idk if that’s for everyone else

Oh I’ll be at Oaklands, I haven’t received my timetable but I was told there was two induction days on the 13th and 15th.
Reply 11
Oh I’ll be at Oaklands, I haven’t received my timetable but I was told there was two induction days on the 13th and 15th.

Yeah I’ve seen letters for the induction days too.

Latest

Trending

Trending