The Student Room Group

NEED HELP on 3rd A level Choice ( want to do medicine)

I know it’s sooo competitive for this course but I’ve always had an interest for science but I know loads of people take 4 sometimes even 5 a levels but I really just want to take 3 so I can really secure good grades in them.
I’m going to take chemistry, biology and not fully sure on 3rd and the deadline for most sixth forms is this month! I also don’t really want to make it even harder with maths or physics even though I know they’re good subjects, and I just don’t enjoy them as much.

So I’m thinking of doing Psychology, ecomomics or history?? Any thoughts on a better one? I only take history out of these for gcse and I’m good at it and enjoy it but I think the other 2 also look very interesting and I just really don’t know what’s a better choice? Any advice would be good thanks x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustsomeEmmahelp
I know it’s sooo competitive for this course but I’ve always had an interest for science but I know loads of people take 4 sometimes even 5 a levels but I really just want to take 3 so I can really secure good grades in them.
I’m going to take chemistry, biology and not fully sure on 3rd and the deadline for most sixth forms is this month! I also don’t really want to make it even harder with maths or physics even though I know they’re good subjects, and I just don’t enjoy them as much.

So I’m thinking of doing Psychology, ecomomics or history?? Any thoughts on a better one? I only take history out of these for gcse and I’m good at it and enjoy it but I think the other 2 also look very interesting and I just really don’t know what’s a better choice? Any advice would be good thanks x

If you are 100% medicine, then the next A level should ideally one you enjoy, but also the one you can get the highest grade in with least effort.
Do some research and see which interests you. They are all fine and it wont make any difference. Economics and Psych have some maths in and History has massive volume, so dont do the latter unless you enjoy it.
I was in the same situation last month, I picked History because I enjoy it really and I feel as if I can get the highest grade in it. Good luck !
Original post by 999tigger
If you are 100% medicine, then the next A level should ideally one you enjoy, but also the one you can get the highest grade in with least effort.
Do some research and see which interests you. They are all fine and it wont make any difference. Economics and Psych have some maths in and History has massive volume, so dont do the latter unless you enjoy it.

Thank you! I really needed this kind of boost because I definitely feel I should do the subject I enjoy.
Original post by aisha.mussa
I was in the same situation last month, I picked History because I enjoy it really and I feel as if I can get the highest grade in it. Good luck !

Yea it’s a hard decision because everyone says it determines your future kind of and luckily I’ve got a week left to decide but I’m hoping I leave with no regrets, and thank you!
Yea it’s a hard decision because everyone says it determines your future kind of and luckily I’ve got a week left to decide but I’m hoping I leave with no regrets, and thank you!

Hi Emma.

- If dead set on medicine, bio, chem and one other is absolutely fine for anywhere except Cambridge, as you say. In fact having maths does not correlate with offers more than other subjects.
- If considering other options then things like maths are very facilitating.
- You do not need to take 4 or 5, as you say. In fact most medicine applicants to Oxford only do 3. https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
- Getting AAA minimum, ideally higher, is absolutely vital for medicine. That is priority number 1.

Between the 3 you mention above... that is up to you. Best of luck.
Original post by nexttime
Hi Emma.

- If dead set on medicine, bio, chem and one other is absolutely fine for anywhere except Cambridge, as you say. In fact having maths does not correlate with offers more than other subjects.
- If considering other options then things like maths are very facilitating.
- You do not need to take 4 or 5, as you say. In fact most medicine applicants to Oxford only do 3. https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
- Getting AAA minimum, ideally higher, is absolutely vital for medicine. That is priority number 1.

Between the 3 you mention above... that is up to you. Best of luck.

Thank you so much, and I’m not sure if I fully understood the data but out of the 3 subjects I was thinking about is history seen to have a higher success rate?
Thank you so much, and I’m not sure if I fully understood the data but out of the 3 subjects I was thinking about is history seen to have a higher success rate?

History is well respected and fine as it is a facilitating subject (even though its not p[opular to use the term) its also going to be on everyones preferred list when sorting out A levels they like. Yoour danger will be interest in the subject and then volume, neche imo work hard on it in year 3 and finish early because Y13 will be busy enough. Get your nea out oif the way before the start of Y13.
I would say Economics it’s basically a more simple version of maths. Also pick at least on subject you know you can secure good grades in easily it’ll reduce work load
Reply 9
Mathematics if you want to do medicine.
Many people apply with Psychology or Geography. Both are sometimes classed as a science but they key issue is something you will enjoy and excel in

The success rate for history was 39.2%, versus 38.8% for maths (i.e. no different).

These are just correlations though. It won't tell you what the cause is.
Original post by Deggs_14
Mathematics if you want to do medicine.

Nope. See above.
Reply 12
PSYCHOLOGY. i took psychology along with biology and chemistry. not only was it my highest grade and the easiest subject (A* with not much effort) it was also in my opinion very related to medicine (may be dependant on the exam board) but ours had us learn of medicines and disorders that were very real and understandable explanations for them. i was in your very position and the best choice i made was to pick it.
Original post by 999tigger
History is well respected and fine as it is a facilitating subject (even though its not p[opular to use the term) its also going to be on everyones preferred list when sorting out A levels they like. Yoour danger will be interest in the subject and then volume, neche imo work hard on it in year 3 and finish early because Y13 will be busy enough. Get your nea out oif the way before the start of Y13.

Yea I’m already so stressed just thinking about them and the fact I’m being so indecisive isn’t helping

Hi, I have also applied for medicine this year and I am soooo happy with my 3rd A level choice. I study A level Accounting and if you enjoy learning about processes you will really enjoy the subject!! All you have to do is learn where to put the numbers according to rules. You dnt have to be good at maths either. As well as this, accountant make better chemists than chemist (I am quoting my chem teacher) because we also learn analytical skills for the essay questions. there is also an ethics part in accounting which you can mention in interviews. the subject also help me to complete an EPQ to the best of my ability because I have become really good at analysing and thinking laterally.
I have to put a lot of effort to achieve high grades in bio and chem but with accounts once you learn in you will get the marks (not much application needed)
GOOD LUCK DECIDING XXX
Original post by nexttime
The success rate for history was 39.2%, versus 38.8% for maths (i.e. no different).

These are just correlations though. It won't tell you what the cause is.

Ok thank you, I really need take time and think about the positives and negatives of each one
Psychology
Original post by swanseajack1
Many people apply with Psychology or Geography. Both are sometimes classed as a science but they key issue is something you will enjoy and excel in

Yes thanks! let’s just hope it all works out in the end
Yea I’m already so stressed just thinking about them and the fact I’m being so indecisive isn’t helping

Not sure why?
Be well organised- work hard- do bio and chem- do the 3rd as suggested- keep on top.
Maths, my friends who want to do medicine have this combination. But only do it if you enjoy it and can secure a good grade in it as that’s important in alevels. Also, as you are wanting to do medicine, in uni your course will cover mathematical skills so the alevel maths will help you. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest