The Student Room Group

Advice on entry to a medical degree with little/no formal qualifications

Any advice on this would be hugely appreciated as i'm struggling to draw any meaningful conclusions from what i can find online already-

Basically, a chronic illness caused me to spend the majority of my years as a teenager/young adult in hospital. I was unable to take my GCSEs and didn't study for A levels at all. I'm just now (age 23) on the mend and have been giving a lot of thought to what i want to do with my life now that i'm not permanently tethered to a hospital bed. To the surprise of all who know me, i want to go back, but hopefully as a doctor this time. i received nothing but exemplary care while i was sick, i wouldn't be alive today if not for the NHS, and it would be an honour to one day provide that care for others.

I know it's not going to be easy. I know people with perfect school records still get rejected and i know it'll be a hard battle convincing universities that i'm a better candidate than those people, but i'm ready for the challenge. Before getting sick i was at an amazing school on an academic scholarship and was predicted mostly A*'s and A's at GCSE so academically i think i should be up to it, i'm just really unsure as to what route i should take as even access to medicine courses require GCSE's and i have none. Would i be better off studying both my GCSE's and A levels at a college or would universities view that as strange to do so late in life? is an access course a better option? i've seen, for example, KCL require 39 distinctions in an access course for a 'typical offer' but to get an offer at all seems like a bit of a lottery. I'm prepared to jump through whatever hoops necessary to give me the best chance at successfully getting into a medical degree, i just need some help figuring out what my best path to take would be?
thankyou in advance :smile:
Your best option is probably to email the medicine admissions people at a couple of universities and ask them what they would be looking for in someone in your situation. You're unlikely to find generic advice which fits your situation because it's so unusual. Whatever you do will be viewed as strange, There is no way round that. It's also not in itself a bad thing.

Getting an offer for medicine is always a bit of a lottery. There won't be an option where if you just make the right choices you can bypass the lottery aspect of it. You probably know that, but a lot of people do seem to think that all they have to do is decode the clues to change the odds just for them to a near-certainty, and that isn't how the system works.
Original post by AShaw0
Any advice on this would be hugely appreciated as i'm struggling to draw any meaningful conclusions from what i can find online already-

Basically, a chronic illness caused me to spend the majority of my years as a teenager/young adult in hospital. I was unable to take my GCSEs and didn't study for A levels at all. I'm just now (age 23) on the mend and have been giving a lot of thought to what i want to do with my life now that i'm not permanently tethered to a hospital bed. To the surprise of all who know me, i want to go back, but hopefully as a doctor this time. i received nothing but exemplary care while i was sick, i wouldn't be alive today if not for the NHS, and it would be an honour to one day provide that care for others.

I know it's not going to be easy. I know people with perfect school records still get rejected and i know it'll be a hard battle convincing universities that i'm a better candidate than those people, but i'm ready for the challenge. Before getting sick i was at an amazing school on an academic scholarship and was predicted mostly A*'s and A's at GCSE so academically i think i should be up to it, i'm just really unsure as to what route i should take as even access to medicine courses require GCSE's and i have none. Would i be better off studying both my GCSE's and A levels at a college or would universities view that as strange to do so late in life? is an access course a better option? i've seen, for example, KCL require 39 distinctions in an access course for a 'typical offer' but to get an offer at all seems like a bit of a lottery. I'm prepared to jump through whatever hoops necessary to give me the best chance at successfully getting into a medical degree, i just need some help figuring out what my best path to take would be?
thankyou in advance :smile:

Its going to be hard for any course to take you on with absolutely no proof of academic potential, as you say! Medicine is a very intense, very academic course.

It is absolutely not be viewed as 'strange' to take GCSEs/A-levels later in life. It might be expensive though... I am unsure if there is any kind of help you can get with the cost of education if you missed it when you were younger... :dontknow:

And it looks like you've looked into access courses, foundation years etc already. Contact them directly if there is anything unclear about their requirements, or if you just want advice from them.

I'll also ask.... why medicine? You were cared for by many roles other than doctor. Now admittedly, entry to those would also be dependent on at least some qualifications, but why not a nurse or pharmacist or physio or dietitian etc? Have you looked into these roles at all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending