The Student Room Group

Benefits

I’m 18 years old, wanting a part time job, currently in full time education at college. My mother says if I get a part time job it will affect or stop her benefits. Is this true?
(edited 4 years ago)
Yes, it will affect her benefits if you stop being a full time student.
If your mother is still receiving child benefit, it will stop if you leave full time education.
If she gets the 25% sole occupancy council tax discount, that will stop if you give up full time education.
But the law only requires your mother to notify the DWP and local authority of the relevant facts that she is aware of.

If you are not receiving any benefits, you are not required to notify anyone that you have a part time job.
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, it will affect her benefits if you stop being a full time student.
If your mother is still receiving child benefit, it will stop if you leave full time education.
If she gets the 25% sole occupancy council tax discount, that will stop if you give up full time education.
But the law only requires your mother to notify the DWP and local authority of the relevant facts that she is aware of.

If you are not receiving any benefits, you are not required to notify anyone that you have a part time job.

Even if I stayed in full time education? Like I had the part time job and stayed at college?
Original post by KLL4527
Even if I stayed in full time education? Like I had the part time job and stayed at college?

If you stayed in full time education, a part time job would only be an issue if you had a joint bank account with your mother.
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
If you stayed in full time education, a part time job would only be an issue if you had a joint bank account with your mother.

I have my own bank account, my mother has her bank account benefits go into her own.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending