The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

The 3 year minimum isn't arbitrary if you are aiming for a named honours degree, but if you are aiming to study for 2 years without any breaks at all and come out with a pretty incoherent 300 point degree then maybe it can be done.

February starts after level 1 tend to finish in October due to exams so there would be some overlap. And the OU can refuse to register you if they think your plans are insane (although if you told them you had already studied at university level you'd probably get away with it).

Other than that there's the general question of why you'd actually want to do it.

But you might well be right there, it doesn't appear impossible.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 41
(although if you told them you had already studied at university level you'd probably get away with it).

Maybe this is why i have never had any trouble in registering for courses over 120 credits, as i already had a masters and doctorate from a B&M uni before starting with the OU. But they have never asked for proof of this!

study for 2 years without any breaks at all and come out with a pretty incoherent 300 point degree

Well it doesn't sound like much fun, and i certainly wouldn't do it - but i seems to be an option for someone who just needed any degree for immigration purposes.

February starts after level 1 tend to finish in October due to exams so there would be some overlap.

This is actually what made me think of it. My last year was 135 credits from oct-july (inc a residential course), but then i had a 6 month gap (july to feb) before i could do any other courses on my named degree plan. So after mooching about a bit, i found a good few short courses that start oct/november and will be finished in feb.

I am only studying for fun, but even so they are things i'm interested in (applied psych and autism) AND related to my linked qualifications (psych/life sciences), so are just a nice bonus :smile:
The OU is flexible.

My aunt has an MBA from the OU, I was astonished when she told me that she obtained that from scratch in only 4 years.

I'm not sure what way she worked it but she most definitely did more than 120 credits a year. She did 540 credits in total for an equivalent of 135 credits a year. She was a stay at home mum at the time and so it was what she was doing full-time.
Reply 43
Original post by *Elbereth*
I don't understand what you mean by random subject?

There isn't a 'quickest one'. They all amount to 300 credits for an ordinary degree which takes a minimum of three years study as you can take no more than 120 credits per year.. By ordinary I mean without honours, as you are saying that is what you want to do.

360 credits to get a degree with honours, its not 300. Unless someone proves me wrong :smile:
Reply 44
I imagine you don't have hobbies/time off when you do 120 credits a year. I'm apprehensive about doing 90 a year, although I have to I think because of these new BS rules.
Reply 45
Just reading your post and I have to disagree with you. At present I am working through my Open degree and it is a degree without honours (unawarded). I have the option of topping up after 300 credits to make it honours, and have a choice of which I can claim. Only possible to attend just the 1 award ceremony obviously. Everything has changed now since transitional changes came into force. For clarification yes it is a degree without honours and if you scored poorly on courses it will not show etc bla bla bla you still get ba or bsc et without honours or extra 60 points at level 3 will give it to you with classification of your degree. Hope this clears it all up as at present I am working through my degree with the Open University.
I realise this is an old thread. Just wondered how you got on: Where you chose to study and what subject? Thanks :-)
Shortest bachelor available for you would be to take a Bachelor's degree in Philosophy from the University of London International Programme,
which is only 2 years long. I have no experience studying with them, but there's quite a few Bachelor degrees with that Uni that if you do not have the minimum requirements [A-levels], you can take a foundation 1 year course, and then with that certificate, they will minus 1 year from your bachelor degree allowing you to complete the degree in the same time as everyone else.

This was confirmed to me by the admissions team.
Reply 48
Hi may I ask did u do the degree in the end? Which one and how long did it take? I find myself asking the same question.

Latest