The Student Room Group

Is it worth replacing high mileg calipers at 200k miles when doing brake discs/pads ?

My car is at around 193,500 miles. The front brake pads and brake discs will be replaced within the next 2 - 3 weeks.
I have driven almost 60,000 miles in this car and I have had it almost 3 years and the front calipers have been totally fine.

However, as the front brakes discs and pads will be replaced soon, is it worth replacing the calipers too as I assume they are the original ones and if so they have covered almost 200,000 miles so not sure how much life is left in them.
Not long ago the rear caliper piston on my car seized. this is what has got me thinking about changing the front , also I could sell the calipers that are on it now as they are totally fine so it would be as though I was only buying 1 new caliper as the money I make selling the old 2 calipers will cover the cost of one of the new calipers.

what ya'll think ?
200,000k miles.

Change the whole damb car :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Cleverboy1991
My car is at around 193,500 miles. The front brake pads and brake discs will be replaced within the next 2 - 3 weeks.
I have driven almost 60,000 miles in this car and I have had it almost 3 years and the front calipers have been totally fine.

However, as the front brakes discs and pads will be replaced soon, is it worth replacing the calipers too as I assume they are the original ones and if so they have covered almost 200,000 miles so not sure how much life is left in them.
Not long ago the rear caliper piston on my car seized. this is what has got me thinking about changing the front , also I could sell the calipers that are on it now as they are totally fine so it would be as though I was only buying 1 new caliper as the money I make selling the old 2 calipers will cover the cost of one of the new calipers.

what ya'll think ?

Why replace something that isn't broken when it's trivial to replace when it does break?
Original post by IWMTom
Why replace something that isn't broken when it's trivial to replace when it does break?

As I said the rear caliper piston seized a few months ago, luckily I was right near home if not I would have been stranded and had to get it towed.
If the front caliper piston does the same and I am away from home I would be stranded. it's called preventive maintanance
Original post by PizzaBoi
200,000k miles.

Change the whole damb car :biggrin:

what does ''damb'' mean ?
Reply 5
Original post by Cleverboy1991
As I said the rear caliper piston seized a few months ago, luckily I was right near home if not I would have been stranded and had to get it towed.
If the front caliper piston does the same and I am away from home I would be stranded. it's called preventive maintanance

Preventative maintenance prevents things breaking - changing the caliper doesn't prevent anything breaking.

Changing a timing belt at the correct interval is preventative maintenance. Changing a brake caliper is not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending