The Student Room Group

Live off benefits or work?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by londonmyst
Thanks for the insults.:ciao:
I have advised on the benefits system, means assessed/non-means assessed benefits and the old 'passporting benefits' system.
I don't feel like I'm above anyone.
Nor do I feel entitled enough to voluntarily burden the taxpayer with my rent and living expenses when I have other options available to me.
I work seven days a week to pay my bills, fund my postgrads and volunteer with charities that support the survivors of rape and honour abuse.

My uncle was beaten into permanent disability rescuing a schoolgirl from a convicted paedophile, left unable to work and in agony for almost a decade.
He was orphaned as a child, grew up without access to a regular supply of hot meals and never elected to live off the welfare state.
Even when he was brain damaged, unable to walk and dying.

So are we supposed to applaud him? This just sounds like unnecessary stress + pride, soz not soz
Original post by nathan_nacu
So are we supposed to applaud him? This just sounds like unnecessary stress + pride, soz not soz

He's dead and buried, I doubt he's bothered what anyone thinks of him.

Yes.
Saving a screaming schoolgirl from being raped by a convicted paedophile was unnecessary and led to a lot of stress and devastation for him.
His life would have been a lot easier if he had just minded his own business and walked away.
*shrug* I happily claim UC when it suits me, as others have said it can get pad for many things. Frankly I think I do plenty enough to justify occasional coasting.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Why why why would you choose universal credit. No pension other than basic. No sense of worth. Not use to society. Basically an oxygen thief. Challenge me on that. My taxes are paying turn you to do sweet fa

Small price to pay for freedom.

Yes.
Saving a screaming schoolgirl from being raped by a convicted paedophile was unnecessary and led to a lot of stress and devastation for him.
His life would have been a lot easier if he had just minded his own business and walked away.

Not sure if I’m reading this wrong but are you saying he shouldn’t have done anything? Surely this isn’t what you’re saying???? I’d hope to think the sound minded adult would intervene if a child was in danger.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
But why would you waste a gap year. I am in Estonia at the moment but have just come from Latvia where jobs are going begging even if you don't speak the language.

When I had my gap year I went to France. God go and do chalet work in a ski resort. Learn a language in Colombia do not wasteit

What if you don't have money to go abroad?
I think you’re wasting your potential by not being productive , the world is big and there’s plenty out there to explore !
I (personally) would go to work.

With claiming UC comes a lot of stress, the constant meetings you have to attend does get in the way of other plans, and it's time-wasted.

You should sort your CV out and get a good part time job instead.
That way you'd have free time to do anything else you want too.

Alternatively, you could do both if you're eligible for UC!

Use your gap year wisely. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Not sure if I’m reading this wrong but are you saying he shouldn’t have done anything? Surely this isn’t what you’re saying???? I’d hope to think the sound minded adult would intervene if a child was in danger.

My uncle did what he believed was right, against the advice of his friends who all ran away.
He freed the schoolgirl and she escaped.

But he paid a heavy price, was left permanently disabled and his life was ruined.
The convicted paedophile re-offended whilst on bail, got sentenced to under 2 years and re-offended almost immediately upon release from prison.
(edited 4 years ago)
Have you worked before?

I'd make the most of your gap year and get some experience under your belt. Graduating uni without work experience becomes a scary prospect when you're competing with people with high grades and work experience. (Assuming you're at/planning to go to university)
(edited 4 years ago)
My uncle did what he believed was right, against the advice of his friends who all ran away.
He freed the schoolgirl and she escaped.

But he paid a heavy price, was left permanently disabled and his life was ruined.
The convicted paedophile re-offended whilst on bail, got sentenced to under 2 years and re-offended almost immediately upon release from prison.

But he atleast saved that one child, your uncle is a hero I’m sad you don’t think so.
But he atleast saved that one child, your uncle is a hero I’m sad you don’t think so.

Agreed :smile:

Yes.

No, i was referring to how if he just got some benefits his life would’ve been easier and it was probably his pride holding him from using them, i refer not to the situation that left him disabled
Reply 33
The little bit more not exactly be worth it

Why?

Are you think, have really bad interpersonal skills or both?

I can try and simplify the questions if they are too difficult for you to understand.
Reply 34

I believe in the British welfare system as a safety net only, for those uk citizens who are most in need.
Not choosing to live off the welfare state as a matter of reflex, family tradition or personal pride.

So you wont apply to claim state pension if you become eligible for it then?
hi i am new here
Original post by Quady
So you wont apply to claim state pension if you become eligible for it then?

No.
Within my family tree that is something of an established tradition.
Should I live off universal credit or work and get a little bit more?

I trust that you are trolling. Anyone who is able to work should work. Why should others work to keep you? The definition of a parasite is something (one) who lives off others without giving anything back. And, the only good parasite is a dead parasite!
Should I live off universal credit or work and get a little bit more?

If you stay on benefits there will come a time in your life where you will wake up completely paralysed with misery. It is the one of the most commonly asked questions: "What is the meaning of life". The answer is actually very simple: Responsibility. That you are responsible for yourself, that you are responsible to put your own roof under your own head, that you can look back in your life and say "I did this". A sense of purpose. If you live off the state forever I cannot even describe how empty you will be when you reach your 40s. You will want to die. I am not exaggerating. A sense of purpose is something that every human being desires. It is the core of who we are as a species.

Make the right decision and get your a** to work.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Weeping_Angel
"What is the meaning of life". The answer is actually very simple: Responsibility.

So the meaning of life responsibility?

Care to explain what responsibilities coral has? What responsibilities to locusts have? How about pandas?

Is the meaning of life not accountability?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending