The Student Room Group

2009 applicants - does anyone get this?

basically since wanting to study medicine i realise now that i want to be a doctor so much that there isnt a day that goes by when i dont think about uni or medicine? I just find the whole notion of it really weird and im trying not to think about applying until results day but it always creeps back into my mind. It's really scaring me now aswell and im wondering if anyone else gets it and im not the only one?

Scroll to see replies

I get that, but with theoretical physics :p:

A lot of people i know who want to do medicine are very driven and talk about it a lot so i don't think you're in a minority
Reply 2
i have the same with pharmacy i know how you feel, i'm just praying that i get the grades for as right!
I'm a 2008 applicant, and at least in my experience, anxiety is something you'll have to learn to live with for the next few months.
What you want to do now is to prepare a noteworthy personal statement. If you do so (or if you are lucky) chances are you'll get interviews and offers sooner and end your waiting in a shorter time.
Reply 4
I get it, but sadly not with the subject I'm actually studying.
Reply 5
Just grab a drink, put the radio on, sit back and chillax. That should sort out your problems. :p:.
im not applying to medicine but i know how you feel. esp now its summer and i have nothing to do i spend all my time looking at unis, courses, nightlife, societies... its taking up nearly all of my thoughts (prob as i am trying to get over the person that used to be in my head all the time). Quite weird really. I just want the next year to fly past, even though i knw i will lose tons of friends, have to move back to the uk (from borneo, even though i love it here)

so no you arent the only one
Reply 7
You're not alone....I get that with Law...and because I really want to go to Warick Uni I also think about that.
It's quite scary sometimes because it heightens my fear of failure because I will be absolutly gutted if I can't get in (sounds slightly sad i know).

:smile:
Reply 8
I get it with languages; yay for conjugating irregular verbs!

... I'm such a geek... :smile:
Reply 9
i know the feeling :biggrin:, it terible sometimes i just get an overwhelimg sense that im not good enough and wont get in.

but i will not let that phase me becuase im sure that there is nothing else id rather do with the rest of my life

i mean i'v had some doubts and looked at other things but after looking through all Science based courses at uni and what careers they lead to i keep finding the same answer.

Medcine is For Me, and so if i dont get in first time round ill just try again, and again, and again!!!

As long as you have the determination and persistance to get into medical school and carry the same philosopy through your degree a great medic will be the result of that hard work.
Reply 10
jjkkll - i always get the feeling that im not good enough to get into medicine aswell and the thoughts of failure seem to occupy my mind quite a lot. i also looked through science based courses on ucas but nothing really appeals to me and its weord because ive had a lot of family experiences of medicine and its just feels like i have some sort of connection with it - like it's my destiny. my tuotor keeps telling me that i shouldn't think about it so much but i really cant help it and that it what scares me
Reply 11
sd91
jjkkll - i always get the feeling that im not good enough to get into medicine aswell and the thoughts of failure seem to occupy my mind quite a lot. i also looked through science based courses on ucas but nothing really appeals to me and its weord because ive had a lot of family experiences of medicine and its just feels like i have some sort of connection with it - like it's my destiny. my tuotor keeps telling me that i shouldn't think about it so much but i really cant help it and that it what scares me

i cant get it out of my mind either and i cant wait till results day as that day is make or break for my 2009 application.

and alot of the time i keep thinking that mabey im going into medicine for the wrong reasons like im not going into medicine because i want to care and help for people, well that make up some of my motives but if my only motives were helping people then id become a nurse or and aid worker.

im going into medicine becuase i will be able to save people lives, and making a difference in just one persons life is by far the most rewarding thing anyone can do within a scientific field, in my opinion, yes you could aregue that you make a differnce in pharmacology and in other areas of research, but sometimes it may take years to get any results or publicly useable products, but in medicine YOU can see the results of your actions imediately.:yep: :woo: :woo: :biggrin: :biggrin:

and the fact that im gonna get my UKCAT results before my AS results makes me even more anxious and then that other Hurdle the BMAT, which on first impressions felles easier but you can get some beastly questions.
Reply 12
i feel like as if im going to burst!!!!
arrgh!! i want to do medicine so bad, but i feel as if i wont be able to put everything relevant on my PS! i cant even fill a page!! :s-smilie:
>.<
im even more like this now im back from work (at a hospital)..
Reply 13
i know exactly what you mean. sometimes i wonder what will happen if i find the degree really really difficult but actually applying seems to occupy my thoughts most at the moment. maybe the fact that we think about it so much is why we think we aren't good enough or are going into it for the wrong reasons? ive decided to do my ukcat after results day - less stress and more time to prepare in my opinion but at least you will get yours out of the way quickly. ive only chosen 2 unis which im definitely aplying to so ill wait and decide on the other 2 after results day but i cant decide whether to apply to ucl - one of the reasons for hat is because of the bmat - ive heard people come out crying because it's so hard
Reply 14
i have the oppossite problem - my ps is way too long and in too much detail but ive got so much bloody a2 biology c/w to do that i havent had the time to redraft my ps atm
I get that too, don't worry. It's now getting to a point where I'm obsessed to an unhealthy level:P

Hopefully with fingers crossed we get in! (If I do; it'll be in 2009 as well:biggrin:)
Reply 16
my tutor said " if you think about medicine so much it is going to drive you crazy - it's really not healhty for you" but i dont think teachers generally see it from our view. if we can get our passion across in the ps the med schools should be able to see that - if i dont get in i really dont know what i wil do
Reply 17
sd91
i know exactly what you mean. sometimes i wonder what will happen if i find the degree really really difficult but actually applying seems to occupy my thoughts most at the moment. maybe the fact that we think about it so much is why we think we aren't good enough or are going into it for the wrong reasons? ive decided to do my ukcat after results day - less stress and more time to prepare in my opinion but at least you will get yours out of the way quickly. ive only chosen 2 unis which im definitely aplying to so ill wait and decide on the other 2 after results day but i cant decide whether to apply to ucl - one of the reasons for hat is because of the bmat - ive heard people come out crying because it's so hard

i dont think ill cry after the BMAT, but i think iv made my mind up about where im applying based on two things:

1. Course Type and Style.
2. Location & Atmosphere.

the only one i may change is Imperial if i Do Stupidly well on the UKCAT.

what A Levels are you doing? and what results have you got so far? and What did you get at GCSE? (if you dont mind me asking)
Reply 18
sd91
i have the oppossite problem - my ps is way too long and in too much detail but ive got so much bloody a2 biology c/w to do that i havent had the time to redraft my ps atm

lol i meant they wont allow me to even fill a page! (so i cant.. )
i could go on and on and on about everything to do with me, but no it has to be short and to the point. well what if i like beating around the bush a little... :/
Reply 19
no i dont mind. im doing bio, geography and chem at a2 and psychology as. my results have been rubbish so far. i have had extenuating cirucumstances - i was recovering from glandular fever when i took my first lot of AS exams so i got ABCC in my first lot of exams but i did 2 retakes in june so hopefully that will push my grades up. my gcses were 1A* 7As 2Bs. academically im not the srongest applicant but my tutor reckons i should get AAB at the end of A2 - ill have a clearer mind and be more focused. what about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending