The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i know the nhs fund the tuition fees for the 5th year and then when we start working, as long as we earn over £15,000 we start paying the loans back
Reply 41
jjkkll
im sure the NHS pay our loans when we start working for them???

anyone like to confirm or contradict this????!!!

they do? i thought we just paid back when we got paid.....
but i have to check with my government first,, haha
Reply 42
Yup, I know the feeling, whenever I think about A2 results day (and therefore Medicine or vis versa) I get what I like to call a "wave of fear" come over me - i hope someone else knows what I'm talking about?

jjkkll
i should get ABBb at AS and my predicitons will be AAA for A2. and i WILL get AAA at A2
my GCSE results are 3A*s 1A and 5B's and 3C's, the weakest of any medical applicant i know.

jjkkll you sounds pretty similar to me, I got 1A*1A 7Bs and 1C at GCSE, ce in Jan AS modules and abbbc at AS and am predicted AAAb for A2 (+ an extra AS) EXCEPT I think I'm in an even worse position because I only have Chem to AS! So you've definately not got the weakest academics.
Reply 43
jjkkll
im sure the NHS pay our loans when we start working for them???

anyone like to confirm or contradict this????!!!

A contradiction, sadly.

They do currently pay tuition fees when you reach Year 5 (+Year 6 if applicable) though - not sure how Top-up fees might will alter things.
& they give you a means tested bursary again when you reach Year 5 (+Year 6 if applicable) - although this actually leaves quite a few people worse off, because they're means tested as being entitled to nothing and the student loan is cut because you're eligible to apply for the bursary!

It can be a pretty expensive degree to do... which is why current students are getting peeved about the axing of free accommodation in the first year & the fact that lots of us will be in unbanded posts because of the EWTD - so earning just the basic salary = more and more interest accumulating on that student loan!
Reply 44
crackerbox
Yup, I know the feeling, whenever I think about A2 results day (and therefore Medicine or vis versa) I get what I like to call a "wave of fear" come over me - i hope someone else knows what I'm talking about?

jjkkll you sounds pretty similar to me, I got 1A*1A 7Bs and 1C at GCSE, ce in Jan AS modules and abbbc at AS and am predicted AAAb for A2 (+ an extra AS) EXCEPT I think I'm in an even worse position because I only have Chem to AS! So you've definately not got the weakest academics.

deos this mean you have already applied to medicine 2008 entry??

if so how did you do?
Reply 45
ah no, I will be a first time medicine applicant this Sep. but got 5 offers from Imperial, Bristol, Bath, Warwick and Birmingham for Biology in 2007. I don't expect quite the same result for medicine though :tongue:
Reply 46
yep know the feeling very well:biggrin:
Reply 47
b9muslove
yep know the feeling very well:biggrin:

you putting your interest in piano and your certification in your PS?

im sure iv asked you this before but ill ask again

have you recived any results for any of your AS modules yet? eg if you sat any in jan?
sd91
(my grades and the bmat is the main reason putting me off applying. im also worried that ill get a 2.2 on the iBSc or wont be able to hack it).
haven't looked at it in ages, but they used to show what percentage of intercalating students get what grade in each subject. May give you an indication of how likely/ unlikely an event it is.
Reply 49
jjkkll
you putting your interest in piano and your certification in your PS?

im sure iv asked you this before but ill ask again

have you recived any results for any of your AS modules yet? eg if you sat any in jan?

Yeah i've written about piano in my first draft of my personal statment, although i need to write what i've gained from it, and i don't really know what i've gained from it lol, i just like playing the piano:p:

Yeah got A's in my Jan modules for bio and chem, and a C, 1 mark off a B in critical thinking, which i was proud of seeing as i detest critical thinking so much :p: How did you do?
Reply 50
b9muslove
Yeah i've written about piano in my first draft of my personal statment, although i need to write what i've gained from it, and i don't really know what i've gained from it lol, i just like playing the piano:p:

Yeah got A's in my Jan modules for bio and chem, and a C, 1 mark off a B in critical thinking, which i was proud of seeing as i detest critical thinking so much :p: How did you do?

terrible, i was an asssssssss from spetermber till march, i diddnt work hard enough, and revised last minute :frown:

Bio - C - 56/90
Chem - C -62/90 1 mark from a B
Physics - C 59-60

:frown: - butt i pulled my act together for the june exams and worked my ass off!!!!

:biggrin: if i get ABB/BBB @ AS overall i will get predicted AAA/AAB

what are your pedictions likely to be?x
Reply 51
jjkkll
terrible, i was an asssssssss from spetermber till march, i diddnt work hard enough, and revised last minute :frown:

Bio - C - 56/90
Chem - C -62/90 1 mark from a B
Physics - C 59-60

:frown: - butt i pulled my act together for the june exams and worked my ass off!!!!

:biggrin: if i get ABB/BBB @ AS overall i will get predicted AAA/AAB

what are your pedictions likely to be?x

I'm sure you've done fine!! Well, i'd really like to get predicted AAAA for my A Levels, i don't think my teachers would be mean enough to predict me lower than AAAB or AABB as then it would be highly unlikely that i would get an offer from any of my uni's:s-smilie:

Have you started writing your PS? I think mine sounds awful at the moment lol
Reply 52
b9muslove
I'm sure you've done fine!! Well, i'd really like to get predicted AAAA for my A Levels, i don't think my teachers would be mean enough to predict me lower than AAAB or AABB as then it would be highly unlikely that i would get an offer from any of my uni's:s-smilie:

Have you started writing your PS? I think mine sounds awful at the moment lol

i have actually, its almost all written up, just need more details about W/Exp ect and im going on certain nhs traning courses like First aid and CPR, Food standards and Infection corntrol which i also need to include once i do them.

but iv done my intrests bit and school participation. and my conclusion.

i just need to add stuff, then it gonna need rewording :biggrin:

i doubt yours is awful how much you done?

also the hardest part is tyring to make it original and not Clichéd
Reply 53
jjkkll
i have actually, its almost all written up, just need more details about W/Exp ect and im going on certain nhs traning courses like First aid and CPR, Food standards and Infection corntrol which i also need to include once i do them.

but iv done my intrests bit and school participation. and my conclusion.

i just need to add stuff, then it gonna need rewording :biggrin:

i doubt yours is awful how much you done?

also the hardest part is tyring to make it original and not Clichéd

i've tried so hard not to make it cliched, but somethings i need to get across can't help but sound cliched! Well i've got just over a page, so it needs cutting down, and i still haven't fitted in all my work experience and what i've gained from it, and still have more work experience to complete during the summer! Oh dear..:s-smilie:
Reply 54
b9muslove
i've tried so hard not to make it cliched, but somethings i need to get across can't help but sound cliched! Well i've got just over a page, so it needs cutting down, and i still haven't fitted in all my work experience and what i've gained from it, and still have more work experience to complete during the summer! Oh dear..:s-smilie:

soo much to do, and need to be better than 12,000 or so other applicants.

who all have AAB + predictions!!

how am i gonna cope!!!??!!??!!!???!!!??!!!??!!!??
Reply 55
jjkkll
soo much to do, and need to be better than 12,000 or so other applicants.

who all have AAB + predictions!!

how am i gonna cope!!!??!!??!!!???!!!??!!!??!!!??

Well you sound really dedicated, so just get that across at your interviews, and you'll be fine, that's what i plan to do if i get interviews...:tongue:
Reply 56
b9muslove
Well you sound really dedicated, so just get that across at your interviews, and you'll be fine, that's what i plan to do if i get interviews...:tongue:

big IF

and how did you get the sense of my dedication??
Reply 57
jjkkll
big IF

and how did you get the sense of my dedication??

well from you've pretty much done your PS, which is much more dedicated than me! Although i am very lazy:p:
Reply 58
b9muslove
well from you've pretty much done your PS, which is much more dedicated than me! Although i am very lazy:p:

TBH im the lazyest person your likely to meet in your life time, but appying to medicine has given mee a very strange Drive which im so unused to.

i usually sit around doing nothing nothing at all :biggrin:
Reply 59
jjkkll
TBH im the lazyest person your likely to meet in your life time, but appying to medicine has given mee a very strange Drive which im so unused to.

i usually sit around doing nothing nothing at all :biggrin:

Well i should have started learning my driving theory weeks ago, still haven't quite managed to start that! So yeah i should prob get off TSR and do some learning..like that's going to happen:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending