The Student Room Group

volunteering help!

I am currently in my first year of sixth form, and I need to start volunteering but the problem is I don't know what to volunteer for! I'd like to study criminology and sociology at Lancaster university but I don't know of any relevant volunteering/ work experience. please help.
I’m guessing you’re 16? A lot of jobs require you to be 18 even to volunteer.
It doesn’t necessarily have to be anything related to your future career aspirations. Volunteering shows you are willing and committed to giving up your free time to help others.
Could you look into Police Cadets? Or even local care homes/charity shops. Again I’m pretty sure the 18 year old rule comes in for the latter 2 but it’s worth an ask.
Hi! I'm in a similar situation, I volunteer since like November at Oxfam (you can volunteer there from the age of 14 though it's not really relevant to criminology or to sociology). I'm currently studying law, criminology and psychology and it's really hard to find work experience that's relevant to those subjects however you can talk to someone at your college to help you or you can contact places yourself. Hope it works out for you!
Original post by Glazednessa
I am currently in my first year of sixth form, and I need to start volunteering but the problem is I don't know what to volunteer for! I'd like to study criminology and sociology at Lancaster university but I don't know of any relevant volunteering/ work experience. please help.

Hi there,

Vinspired.com has volunteering opportunities aimed at young people, as young as 14. So on here you can find organisations who might be willing to take you on. You could also try do-it.org and charityjob.co.uk/volunteer-jobs for other volunteering opportunities.

In terms of roles related to those subjects, you could look at organisations that support victims, or support ex-offenders and rehabilitation, or you could look at community or youth organisations. However, doing any kind of volunteering is going to be beneficial and will give you good experience so it's important to keep an open mind. And, if you're still in sixth form, you've got plenty of time to gain relevant experience.

Hope this helps, best of luck - Mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending