The Student Room Group

Aspirations Blog

Hiya!

I'm starting this little blog as a way to keep track of what's going on in regard to my grades currently, my uni application and just a few general life updates. Hopefully, this'll serve to motivate me to study a little more, and procrastinate a little less ;D

Right now, I'm a year 13 student, studying the IB Diploma with Chemistry, Biology and Geography at HL and Spanish B, English Lit A and Mathematical Studies at SL. At this point I've finished all my core subjects (EE, CAS and TOK) and I'm just finishing off the last of my coursework and IA's before my May 2020 exams.

I'm currently in the process of applying for medicine with the followings stats:
GCSEs: 7A* and 4As
AS and A2-Levels: A and A* respectively
UCAT: 2890 and SJT Band 2
Predicted IB: 40 pts with 667 at HL, 577 at SL (including 2 Core Points)

Although I am doing the IB in sixth form, I have also done my AS and A2 levels in Persian as I am bilingual and so I've got a bit of an odd mix here but it is what it is aha! ‾\_(ツ)_/‾

I applied to Edinburgh, Barts, Bristol and KCL for medicine, and so far have been rejected from Edinburgh pre-interview and received an offer (766 at HL with 35pts overall) from Kings 🎉. On hold from Bristol, having done my interview in December, and I'm waiting on Barts post-interview too :smile: My fifth option is Biomedical sciences at Sheffield, which I've received an offer for, but with a bit of luck I'll have two medicine offers to firm and insure.

It's a tough process applying to medicine, especially when your friends around you have all got their offers and are sorting out accommodation etc already, but things will work out eventually and until they do, I'll be posting on here.

I don't expect anyone to be reading this, but if you do, I hope my little updates on the application process, on the IB, on sixth form generally, will be helpful :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Today's been a little hectic; my Maths IA and English Coursework have been sent back with feedback on the same day and I've got to get my corrections done by tomorrow for my teachers. A little stressful, especially as my maths involves sourcing my raw data which no longer exists on the websites I used originally but I'll figure something out.

I've also got a mock Chemistry Paper 3 tomorrow, which is essentially data-based questions and the Option. We've done Option D: Medicinal Chemistry, which I was delighted about initially, but dear god it's a content heavy topic.

This is going to be a very very long evening ahhh. Better get started! x
Finished my maths corrections, onto English next!
English Essay done!

I guess I can finally get to the Chemistry revision now. I'm a little worried there's not enough time to cover everything, especially since it's such a huge topic but fingers crossed I'll get more done than expected.
Felt a little ill today so I muddled through the chemistry paper as best as I could but it definitely wasn’t my best performance and that’s okay! An off day never hurts anyone :smile:
In other more exciting news, I’ve got an offer from Bristol!! 6,6,6 at HL with 36 pts overall, tricky but I think I can do it!! It’s definitely my favourite and I’m delighted :smile:))
Just heard back from my last uni! Offer from Barts, with 38 pts and 666 at HL :smile: I remember I was quite happy with how the interview went at a time and I'm buzzing now, especially since my interviewers were a little on the strict side.

And with that, my medicine application cycle is over!! I just need to get the grades now...
Just firmed Bristol, and insured Kings :smile: need to study hard to get there now!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
In other news, this week I did my Spanish B oral exam - I think it went okay, definitely better than my mock in any case, wherein I froze for a solid minute. That's one quarter of my grade down - 75% to go!
The coronavirus is really changing things at the minute. So many people aren’t coming to school anymore, most likely isolating or social distancing away from everyone.

Not that coming to school would help much. Three of my teachers so far have announced they’re staying home because of the higher risk the virus poses to them. It’s so important they stay home and look after themselves but school is just a chaotic mess
We’re all a little worried too, because unlike A-level students, our IB exams have no chance of being delayed or postponed because of the virus.

The IB hasn’t even cancelled the May 2020 season for the Chinese or Italian students- come what may we have to sit our exams.

Which is fine if there was a certainty about that, but if school shuts down or if the country goes into lockdown like Italy has, then we physically cannot get to our exams.

What happens then? Do we automatically fail our diplomas? What about our Uni offers?

I’m sure everything will resolve itself in the end but I’m not a fan of this lack of clarity at the minute.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending