The Student Room Group

how long is the journey you guys are making to uni for?

how long would you travel to uni for
Depends, are you talking about commute? I'd hate to live more than 30 mins away if I was commuting everyday (although I'm lucky that my college doesn't have any accommodation more than 25 mins from the college.)

If I'm living at uni, I would travel any distance within the UK if I was on a lease that allowed me to stay in the vacations. Having to move in and out each term (as I currently do)? Probably not more than 5hrs either way. I currently live about 3 hours away by car, which is nice because it means moving in and out isn't too much of a hassle, but my parents can't surprise me with a visit.
Original post by Anonymous
how long would you travel to uni for

Hey !

If I’m walking it takes me about 30 minutes to get to Uni and when I go to placement it takes me an hour. Personally, I would not want to be travelling for more than 2 hours to get to Uni, as I feel like this would take a lot of my time.
However, this is completely different for everyone, I have friends who commute to Uni from other cities and find the journey a great way to catch up with work.

Zaira 😊
If you’re looking for a benchmark it really depends. Some people I know have a five minute walk to uni and some travel almost two hours. For example, my commute to uni is usually two hours total from walking out the door to arriving at uni. My time on the train and underground is around one hour forty minutes total both ways. I know one or two people with a similar commute and I’m not sure if anyone trave,s further but if you’re looking for a max time distance this seems to be around that limit.

Ultimately it does depend on what you can manage and what suits you best. I’m quite used to commuting through high school and find it more affordable than renting out. So figure out what fits your priorities best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending