The Student Room Group

Course advice

Hello,

I am just after advice so I can make the right move.

I am hoping to return to study after being a full time mum for 6 years. I am keen to study phsycology and have been looking at arden university as its part time and home study.

I have a previous degree in an unrelated subject but I have no psychology experience.

I have had the masters recommended to me but I am in doubt as to weather this is suitable with no prior knowledge or not? Do any of you know if it is suitable?

I will be looking at gaining experience along the way in a voluntary role.

Would the masters and voluntary experience be what I need to gain employment or am I being naive? I aim to go into clinical phsycology as I have suffered with anxiety myself I am keen to understand and help others.

Should I just do a degree level and the voluntary?

Thank you in advance
(edited 4 years ago)
1) what did you study at undergrad?
2) you can do a masters conversion in psychology which might make more sense than a BSc in psych - some ask for a science undergrad but check with institutions first
3) I would try and get paid experience in a relevant role such as assistant psychologist as supervised by a clinical psychologist as opposed to voluntary roles which is more HCA based and not really counted as 'relevant experience' when it comes to applying for the DClinPsych
Original post by Noodlzzz
1) what did you study at undergrad?
2) you can do a masters conversion in psychology which might make more sense than a BSc in psych - some ask for a science undergrad but check with institutions first
3) I would try and get paid experience in a relevant role such as assistant psychologist as supervised by a clinical psychologist as opposed to voluntary roles which is more HCA based and not really counted as 'relevant experience' when it comes to applying for the DClinPsych

Hello,

Thanks for advice I did my degree in graphic design graduated in 2006. Yes the uni have said I can get on their conversion course.

Is it possible to get that kind of paid work without experience though?
Original post by Carbellapatford
Hello,

Thanks for advice I did my degree in graphic design graduated in 2006. Yes the uni have said I can get on their conversion course.

Is it possible to get that kind of paid work without experience though?

Ok, then I would for sure go with the masters conversion as opposed to an undergrad.

Can't comment on paid experience as I never went down the clinical route I'm afraid. Check out clinpsy.org.uk
Thank you, that's very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending