The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Is Warwick boring?

It is almost results day, and I think I will be a lot less upset if I don't get AAA if I find out more about Warwick.

One of my main concerns is that it is not in a city. I really like shopping and going to concerts... do people at Warwick find it difficult to do these things? I think Birmingham is the closest place that bands tour at, is the journey there easy?

Do you think that the university is kind of isolated? (just the impression I got).

I am looking for honest oppinions please :smile:

Just so you know... I really liked Warwick and wanted to go there, until I wen't to Bristol and realised the benefits of a city.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I live in a town right near Warwick uni. The bus is around £1.50- £3.00 to get places. The campus is basically in Coventry which is ok for shopping. Leamington is good for a night out. Birmingham isn't too far away on the train either. It seems quite quiet as a campus uni but it is supposed to be pretty good.

My mum used to be a proffessor at Warwick but now she works at Bristol. I'd say Bristol seems more fun - it is a beautiful city.

What do you want to study?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Psychology 2008!

I love both places; but I don't in the slightest regret going to Warwick for university.
Reply 3
Amy***
I live in a town right near Warwick uni. The bus is around £1.50- £3.00 to get places. The campus is basically in Coventry which is ok for shopping. Leamington is good for a night out. Birmingham isn't too far away on the train either. It seems quite quiet as a campus uni but it is supposed to be pretty good.

My mum used to be a proffessor at Warwick but now she works at Bristol. I'd say Bristol seems more fun - it is a beautiful city.

What do you want to study?

Psychology :p:
I know in league tables many Warwick departments do better than Bristol departments, but Warwick Psychology does not seem to do too well (this is also reflected in their offers). I deffinately got the feeling I prefered the Bristol department on the open day too, which confirmed my suspicions. And as you say, Bristol seems more "fun".

However, I do prefer Warwick's societies... so that is a plus if I end up going there :wink: Also it does slightly better in overall league tables than Bristol, so it will give the illusion that I am smarter than I am if I get in (I presume the Psychology dept has one of the lowest entry requirements on average - although I was given an offer above the usual offer).

I wish I knew the reason for being given a higher offer than the "norm" by both unis... I would have been cool as a cucumber on results day if they had. It is either private school, or my poor AS chem grade (although chem is easily the hardest A-level imo!). /rant :yep:
Reply 4
I heard it's a bubble, but I also hear that the SU is amazing so it makes up for it. And that clubbing in Leamington/Coventry is great on Student Nights :]
Reply 5
its good uni
Reply 6
Y'anami!
I heard it's a bubble, but I also hear that the SU is amazing so it makes up for it. And that clubbing in Leamington/Coventry is great on Student Nights :]

I was not given the opportunity to have a positive impression of the SU at the open day... thanks to a disasterous talk given by the head of the SU (not sure his official title - but he represented the students). It was complete FAIL. Nothing worked, and everyone walked out. It was pretty funny to watch the public humiliation, but was lame that I did not get to hear about the SU. :p:
Reply 7
Queen Alice
I was not given the opportunity to have a positive impression of the SU at the open day... thanks to a disasterous talk given by the head of the SU (not sure his official title - but he represented the students). It was complete FAIL. Nothing worked, and everyone walked out. It was pretty funny to watch the public humiliation, but was lame that I did not get to hear about the SU. :p:

What exactly happened? Was he just really boring?

I heard something similar happened at the American Studies department open day, the head of the department being very rude or something like that.
Queen Alice
It is almost results day, and I think I will be a lot less upset if I don't get AAA if I find out more about Warwick.

One of my main concerns is that it is not in a city. I really like shopping and going to concerts... do people at Warwick find it difficult to do these things? I think Birmingham is the closest place that bands tour at, is the journey there easy?

Do you think that the university is kind of isolated? (just the impression I got).

I am looking for honest oppinions please :smile:

Just so you know... I really liked Warwick and wanted to go there, until I wen't to Bristol and realised the benefits of a city.

Hi, yes, that's one thing that put me off choosing Warwick. There's no doubt Warwick is an excellent uni but the campus is in the middle of nowhere and the nearest city is Coventry which to be frank is a complete dump. The nearest city with decent nightlife is Birmignham which is quite a distance.

The location of the campus means that you really need a car if you live off campus. Some people may disagree but my friend stuided at Warwick and lived in Leamington Spa and said it was a nightmare getting to and from Leamington and the campus and vice versa especially in the monring when you have to leave your house/flat no later than 7.45am for a 9am lecture to get to the bus stop and then more or less have to fight othere students to get a bus to the campus. If you don't get a bus by abotu 8.15am, you're gonan be late for your 9am lecture. I certainyl didn't want to go through that.

For these reasons, I didn't choose Warwick, however, as I said it's a great and repuatable university.
Reply 9
hey ive got an offer from warwick and bath. i can choose one as i was a foundation yr student at bath and im already a registered student there.

bath is more beautiful compared to coventry and is safer. so i dont know which one to go. ill do politics which is much better at Warwick but i love Bath as a city and im afraid ill be extremely bored in Warwick for 3 yrs:frown:

so would you decide according to the rankings or the city?
Reply 10
ipeque
hey ive got an offer from warwick and bath. i can choose one as i was a foundation yr student at bath and im already a registered student there.

bath is more beautiful compared to coventry and is safer. so i dont know which one to go. ill do politics which is much better at Warwick but i love Bath as a city and im afraid ill be extremely bored in Warwick for 3 yrs:frown:

so would you decide according to the rankings or the city?

One of my friends from Bath uni came to visit me at Warwick a year ago, he absolutely loved the place and still mentions how much he liked it. From the looks of it Bath looks far better than Coventry but according to him, the Warwick campus is way better than Bath's.

Believe me you will definitely not be bored at Warwick, it's just a myth.
Reply 11
cool! same thing happened to my friend who went to visit his cousin in warwick this year and he said its not boring there. apparently SU is great, and i think warwick is just the right place for my course but the fact that everyone keeps on saying its boring annoys me.

do u study at warwick? which course? how is sports there?
Its not boring but you do have to make an effort to ensure that it isn't boring. Sometimes I get a bit frustrated by the small town life but getting bored can happen anywhere. I'm bored right now despite having a major city on my doorstep simply because there is nobody to enjoy it with. I'd rather be back at uni in a bubble.
Reply 13
ipeque
cool! same thing happened to my friend who went to visit his cousin in warwick this year and he said its not boring there. apparently SU is great, and i think warwick is just the right place for my course but the fact that everyone keeps on saying its boring annoys me.

do u study at warwick? which course? how is sports there?

Yeah it really annoys me too, I'm having the time of my life here and pretty much everyone else I know here feel the same way. And this is the case bearing in mind that this uni is filled with Londoners (who, I imagine, have high standards when it comes to social life!).

Yeah I study maths at Warwick, pretty hard but good fun! Sports facilities are really good: great gym, olympic sized swimming pool, a number of football and rugby pitches, a bear rock climbing facility, loads of different sports clubs...But I don't think many universities can compare to Bath when it comes down to sports facilities, my friend even ended up training with the national rugby team and got tackled by Phil Vickery! But it seems as though we do have some of the best sports facilities in the country.

happydinosaur
Its not boring but you do have to make an effort to ensure that it isn't boring. Sometimes I get a bit frustrated by the small town life but getting bored can happen anywhere. I'm bored right now despite having a major city on my doorstep simply because there is nobody to enjoy it with. I'd rather be back at uni in a bubble.

Yeah same here, three months of holidays is just too long. I wish I was back at uni despite knowing that I'll be a finalist with all the exam stress that it implies!
Reply 14
that's great ! thanks :biggrin:
my offer is not unconditional anyway, right now i wanna go warwick but theres a chance that i might get rejected.. my offer was AAB and i got ABB, missed an A with 2% and the other one with 4%. i was told unis usually wait until the alevel results are out and see how other offer holders did.. is that true? do u think i can still get in?
Reply 15
ipeque
that's great ! thanks :biggrin:
my offer is not unconditional anyway, right now i wanna go warwick but theres a chance that i might get rejected.. my offer was AAB and i got ABB, missed an A with 2% and the other one with 4%. i was told unis usually wait until the alevel results are out and see how other offer holders did.. is that true? do u think i can still get in?

Considering how narrowly you missed out on the offer, I reckon there's a good chance they'll let you in. But then again, it will also depend on how narrowly other applicants missed out on their offer.
Reply 16
i thought so.. thanks again :smile:
Reply 17
ipeque
i thought so.. thanks again :smile:

No problem :smile:

If you do end up coming to Warwick I would recommend choosing Rootes as your first choice accommodation, it's great!
Reply 18
Krush
What exactly happened? Was he just really boring?

I heard something similar happened at the American Studies department open day, the head of the department being very rude or something like that.

I don't remember it too well... but I think the microphone broke, and then the powerpoint presentation stopped working, and he forgot what he was meant to say so kept repeating himself.
I did'nt like him very much, no idea who voted for him :no:
Reply 19
Queen Alice
I don't remember it too well... but I think the microphone broke, and then the powerpoint presentation stopped working, and he forgot what he was meant to say so kept repeating himself.
I did'nt like him very much, no idea who voted for him :no:

Lol was it Joe Kirby?? Cos yeah he is a complete idiot, what you gotta realise bout SU elections is noone cares, i think less than 20% of people voted last year. He basically got elected because he had the most friends/was the best looking guy so all the girls voted for him..

In terms of Warwick, tbh if you like varied nightlife/social life go to Bristol. Warwick you go to halls (go to Rootes do not even think about it), get your friendship group and from then on your social life is centred around that. In the clubs after about a year you can recognise about 60% of people and everyone sort of knows everyone in the friend of a friend way. Its awesome in some ways and not in others (especially if you have a tendancy to do embarrassing things when drunk..)

Latest