The Student Room Group

Discrimination on Chinese students

I heard that some UK unis have started to discriminate Chinese students after the UK virus outbreak. I am from HK and due to be in the 2021 entry, so do you think I will be ok?
Original post by 8013
I heard that some UK unis have started to discriminate Chinese students after the UK virus outbreak. I am from HK and due to be in the 2021 entry, so do you think I will be ok?

Discriminate in what way? Give examples.

You will be fine as virus is likely have passed or there should be a vaccine by then.
Original post by 8013

I don't believe that discriminate is the right word to be used in this context based on the seriousness impact that corona virus is posing globally, which is definitely not unjust distinguish to be made at this point in time. I would rephrased it as rejected rather than discriminated.
Uni's are starting to consider what they will do if Chinese applicants cannot meet their offer conditions in time, but it's not making any difference to the offer making process.
Reply 4
I saw in the news that Chinese students in Southampton and Portsmouth were being shouted and hit at.
I am so worried that I may also be treated like this when I get to UK for uni. Will it actually happen for Chinese students in the 2021 entry?
Original post by 8013
I saw in the news that Chinese students in Southampton and Portsmouth were being shouted and hit at.
I am so worried that I may also be treated like this when I get to UK for uni. Will it actually happen for Chinese students in the 2021 entry?

I think by 2021 most of these extreme examples of behaviour will have died down. Whilst any kind of physical or verbal abuse is of concern, they are generally over reported given the size of the student population.

University campuses and the surrounding areas are typically very tolerant of overseas students. In my local area it was common to see students with medical masks even before the coronavirus outbreak for example.

I would not let this change your plans as people are likely to be acting a lot calmer in a years time.
The people in UK are generally

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending