The Student Room Group

Should I change degrees to get into data science?

Hi,
I am considering going into data science after my current undergraduate degree, psychology, which involves statistics learning the programming language, R. However, I am thinking of changing my degree to a joint degree in business and taking new data science classes available from the business school. Changing degrees would allow me to know at least three programming languages upon graduation, compared to one currently. I would need to take an extra year of school to switch degrees, and I am wondering if you think it is a wise idea to get into the field? I study in the UK and financially taking another year of my undergraduate degree wouldn't be an issue, but I am wondering if it would be massively more beneficial career wise (to take various data science classes and learn several programming languages compared to only taking two or three classes learning one language.) Thank you!
Businesses in the computing sector don't really care how many programming languages you know, they care whether you know the specific one they use - and even then they may be just as happy for you to learn it on the job, depending on the particular context. Moreover, they will probably be more interested in seeing you do quality work in a single programming language, as evidenced by relevant work experiences and placements, and self directed projects you have documented on something like gitHub, than anything else. I also don't really think business will be any better of a background for data science than psychology, since you will still probably have approximately the same mathematical background.
Original post by artful_lounger
Businesses in the computing sector don't really care how many programming languages you know, they care whether you know the specific one they use - and even then they may be just as happy for you to learn it on the job, depending on the particular context. Moreover, they will probably be more interested in seeing you do quality work in a single programming language, as evidenced by relevant work experiences and placements, and self directed projects you have documented on something like gitHub, than anything else. I also don't really think business will be any better of a background for data science than psychology, since you will still probably have approximately the same mathematical background.

Thank you so much for your comment, it is really helpful. Do you know where I could gain experience alongside or outwith university for data science? I am going to apply to be a volunteer research assistant, but I am unsure how else.
Original post by stephlmx
Thank you so much for your comment, it is really helpful. Do you know where I could gain experience alongside or outwith university for data science? I am going to apply to be a volunteer research assistant, but I am unsure how else.

@Blue_Cow or @shadowdweller might be best positioned to offer advice on where to start looking for work experience opportunities while you're at uni in relation to data science or computing more generally. Things like internships/work placements in the sector over the summer (or even potentially other) holidays, a year in industry (either formally as part of your course, or if you find a good opportunity but your uni doesn't have a formal YINI programme you may be able to discuss suspending/interrupting your studies for a year for that) or similar. Obviously with your background though, you may have slightly more limited range of options in the computing sector...look for internships and suchlike in data science roles, or roles adjacent/related to that area, and see how many you meet the criteria for on paper at least.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
I'd be more inclined to do the new degree if it was maths/ comp sci than business studies.
Original post by stephlmx
Hi,
I am considering going into data science after my current undergraduate degree, psychology, which involves statistics learning the programming language, R. However, I am thinking of changing my degree to a joint degree in business and taking new data science classes available from the business school. Changing degrees would allow me to know at least three programming languages upon graduation, compared to one currently. I would need to take an extra year of school to switch degrees, and I am wondering if you think it is a wise idea to get into the field? I study in the UK and financially taking another year of my undergraduate degree wouldn't be an issue, but I am wondering if it would be massively more beneficial career wise (to take various data science classes and learn several programming languages compared to only taking two or three classes learning one language.) Thank you!

Data Science is more of a postgraduate thing. Yes, a module or two during your undergraduate degree might be interesting, but it won't really help you break into data science as a career. If it's bog standard business analysis/business intelligence engineering you want to get into rather than pure data science (I'm saying this because you want to change to a joint business degree), then that's different.

I'd suggest staying in your current degree, save yourself the year and perhaps do some research into postgrad programmes in data science. How much maths is in your current psych degree?

Thanks for the tag @artful_lounger
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
Data Science is more of a postgraduate thing. Yes, a module or two during your undergraduate degree might be interesting, but it won't really help you break into data science as a career. If it's bog standard business analysis/business intelligence engineering you want to get into rather than pure data science (I'm saying this because you want to change to a joint business degree), then that's different.

I'd suggest staying in your current degree, save yourself the year and perhaps do some research into postgrad programmes in data science. How much maths is in your current psych degree?

Thanks for the tag @artful_lounger

I think broadly I'd agree with this - you'd already be taking another year to switch degrees, so personally I'd say stick as is, and use that extra year for postgraduate instead! Also generally speaking you'd be better off having a depth of knowledge in one programming language rather than a breadth of knowledge in several; you'll be able to pick up others more easily anyway, once you have a strong grounding in the first.

In terms of gaining experience, I agree with artful_lounger around taking up an internship over the summer, or taking a year in industry if that's an option to you. Personally I went for the latter, and found it tremendously helpful :yep:

You will likely be more limited in the roles you can apply for given you're not currently doing a technology degree, but you should still be able to find available roles. I'd suggest having a look here as a starting point, and then looking further afield. If you're struggling to find anything then give me a shout and I can share some other sources :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending