The Student Room Group

Planning for the upcoming exam.

Hello Everyone,

So I will be sitting for the AS exams this May. I have taken Physics, Chemistry and Maths (Edexcel). With less than two months left I'm getting quite worried mainly because I have quite a few things left unfinished. I have only finished Physics unit-1 and Chemistry unit-1 Past papers once. I haven't touched any of the other past papers. I still haven't done Moments and Vector from M1, Differentiation and Integration from P2. In P2 three of the chapters are half done (Algebra, Coordinates and Trigonometry) and I haven't even touched Physics and Chemistry Unit-3. I know this might sound crazy to all the good students here but I really want to get good grades even though I'm in this situation. Everyone around me keeps saying that it's impossible to get A if you're not a really good student which is making me even more nervous. I'm clocking in 12 to 14 hours every day in my studies. I honestly don't know what else to do. Sometimes I feel like all my efforts will go in vain.

I really need help to sort out things. Am I studying enough or do I need to study even more? Please give me some tips on what my priorities should be and how I can use the time I have left on my hand the best way possible. I really want to get an A on all my subjects.

Thank you.
You are putting in enough hours. Just make sure you are studying correctly- not just reading over notes, but doing lots of exam style questions. Also make sure you take regular breaks so you do not burn out too soon because you still have 2 months which is a pretty good amount of time left. (I do my A-Levels in 2 months and haven’t finished some of the courses yet 🤷*♀️) also, ignore those saying it’s impossible to get an A unless you are a good student- as long as you put the work in (which you seem to be doing) you should be completely fine.
I would suggest timetabling what you still need to get done to make sure you cover everything you want to and still have time to look after yourself (which is the most important thing). I’m sure you will get the A’s you want, hope this helps a bit. Good Luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by scarletdental19
You are putting in enough hours. Just make sure you are studying correctly- not just reading over notes, but doing lots of exam style questions. Also make sure you take regular breaks so you do not burn out too soon because you still have 2 months which is a pretty good amount of time left. (I do my A-Levels in 2 months and haven’t finished some of the courses yet 🤷*♀️) also, ignore those saying it’s impossible to get an A unless you are a good student- as long as you put the work in (which you seem to be doing) you should be completely fine.
I would suggest timetabling what you still need to get done to make sure you cover everything you want to and still have time to look after yourself (which is the most important thing). I’m sure you will get the A’s you want, hope this helps a bit. Good Luck!!

Thank you for your advice. I will keep them in mind and continue on with my studies.
It sounds like you are working very hard. My tip would be to just focus on doing your best from today on as you are doing now, and don't worry that you started studying late.

I will give you some tips that helped in my experience. I know this is hard to do when you feel very hurried and nervous, but try to take short breaks, doing things that relax you deeply for about 15 minutes for every 45 minutes of studying. Completely forget about studying, dont think about it at all. Then, when you start studying again, your brain will absorb things much, much better. In my experience it is better to do less hours, but study really deeply and be in focus when you are studying. How long you can focus is different for every person.

Another tip is to test your progress. This is the only way you will know if you are studying enough, and what grade you can expect. For example, if you study one module for 3 hours in one day, take another 1 hour just to test your knowledge and see what you do or don't understand. There are a lot of videos and people online who will help you with things you don't understand.

Good luck, keep going!!
Reply 4
Original post by wiktoria_imrak
It sounds like you are working very hard. My tip would be to just focus on doing your best from today on as you are doing now, and don't worry that you started studying late.

I will give you some tips that helped in my experience. I know this is hard to do when you feel very hurried and nervous, but try to take short breaks, doing things that relax you deeply for about 15 minutes for every 45 minutes of studying. Completely forget about studying, dont think about it at all. Then, when you start studying again, your brain will absorb things much, much better. In my experience it is better to do less hours, but study really deeply and be in focus when you are studying. How long you can focus is different for every person.

Another tip is to test your progress. This is the only way you will know if you are studying enough, and what grade you can expect. For example, if you study one module for 3 hours in one day, take another 1 hour just to test your knowledge and see what you do or don't understand. There are a lot of videos and people online who will help you with things you don't understand.

Good luck, keep going!!

Thank you for taking the time to give me all the good advice. I will definitely work accordingly and try my best!

Quick Reply

Latest