The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Is Politics at Exeter competitive?

Is politics at Exeter a really competitive course? I’m just interested in knowing if I have a chance.
Original post by Greywolftwo
Is politics at Exeter a really competitive course? I’m just interested in knowing if I have a chance.

I dont know, but I suspect its mostly grade driven. if you meet their requirements on the website you'll most likely get in, if you dont then probably not.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
I dont know, but I suspect its mostly grade driven. if you meet their requirements on the website you'll most likely get in, if you dont then probably not.

I was speaking to my careers adviser and he’s seen someone get in with ABB, the requirements are AAA
Original post by Greywolftwo
I was speaking to my careers adviser and he’s seen someone get in with ABB, the requirements are AAA

It changes each year and it will largely depend how the cohort do as a whole, but i would assume if you get AAA in decent subjects you'll almost certainly get in and if you miss slightly there is likely some flexibility.
I am currently studying it with IR and the course hasn't been in clearing for the past two years
also depends how strong your application is overall and whether there are any mitigating circumstances
Reply 6
Original post by rnv
also depends how strong your application is overall and whether there are any mitigating circumstances

At this rate I’m not so sure about uni at all.
Hello @Greywolftwo,

I received an offer from Exeter for Politics in 2018, asking for ABB. My GCSEs were debatably good but I was in no way an exceptional student. Didn't really know anything about politics and just made up a load of rubbish for my personal statement. I got in with no trouble so I think it is possibly one of Exeter's least competitive courses. It even went into clearing that year.

If you want to know about how competitive universities and their courses are, as well as compare to see whether you have strong GCSEs in COMPARISON to other people that hold offers from the course, the freedom of information site can give you all of those details. Remember everything is relative to the cohort in that year, so whether you get an offer will be largely to do with the academic achievements of the other people applying. For example, you could have straight As but if all the other applicants have straight A*s youll be in a bad position. I highly doubt this would be the case though as social sciences is often considered a less competitive subject. :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Hello @Greywolftwo,

I received an offer from Exeter for Politics in 2018, asking for ABB. My GCSEs were debatably good but I was in no way an exceptional student. Didn't really know anything about politics and just made up a load of rubbish for my personal statement. I got in with no trouble so I think it is possibly one of Exeter's least competitive courses. It even went into clearing that year.

If you want to know about how competitive universities and their courses are, as well as compare to see whether you have strong GCSEs in COMPARISON to other people that hold offers from the course, the freedom of information site can give you all of those details. Remember everything is relative to the cohort in that year, so whether you get an offer will be largely to do with the academic achievements of the other people applying. For example, you could have straight As but if all the other applicants have straight A*s youll be in a bad position. I highly doubt this would be the case though as social sciences is often considered a less competitive subject. :wink:

Thanks a lot! Very reassuring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending