The Student Room Group

TSR's One Album a Day Club

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Evil Homer
Album 11....... Isolation Heaven

I was expecting more people to join in on the Gorillaz but it matters not! We move onwards and upwards. We now move to:

Take Me To The Alley by Gregory Porter

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6cjMoruJCG0xsP8yv8ykg2?si=J77qpnJXQLWtNf7iFfoH6w

Beautiful voice and beautiful album. I especially liked Insanity, Take Me to the Alley and Don't be a Fool. The instrumentals and production were really good too and I loved how neither the lyrics nor the instrumental solos distracted from one another at all. I'd give it a 9/10.
Reply 121
Hello,

Will go about updating the scores and recommendations. Also do we want the weekends off or should I be cracking on with those days as well?

Anywayyyyyyyyyy It is

Album Number 5

Trying to mix things up again a little bit here, so I think today we are going for..........................

Malibu by Anderson.Paak

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6xNFuLOko8gjxi5kUAyGyM?si=yDsG6W8HSJuZmCH92FlTTw

Hope you guys enjoy! Let me know what you think :smile:

Wow, I forgot to review this. Might as well.

It really had its moments like Am I Wrong and The Waters but overall, it really felt overpolished and not all that unique. I prefer some of his other work like Oxnard but Malibu gets a 6 from me.
Take Me To The Alley :blow:

Holding On - A solid introduction. :coma:

Don't Lose Your Steam - Even better. :coma::coma: What a voice!

Take Me to the Alley - Calling it now, this is a 10/10. :coma::coma:

Day Dream - Nice.

Consequence of Love - Amazing. :coma::coma:

In Fashion - Even the less-amazing songs are still very easy to listen to.

More Than a Woman - Lovely.

In Heaven - Those instrumentals. :coma:

Insanity - Like the other vocalist on this one, too.

Don't Be a Fool - Top quality.

Fan the Flames - WOW. This is epic. :coma::coma:

French African Queen - If it wasn't already clear, the guy just gained a new fan! Great song to end on.

Best album so far, 10/10
Reply 123
Recommend Back to Black by Amy Winehouse

Again I wasn't a absolute huge fan hear, he sounds incredible, the music is nice, but I find it all a little backgroundy and not very interesting at all. Really struggled to keep my attention. 6/10 - Not my thing.

Demon Days by The Gorillaz

This was one of my fav albums as a kid but it actually had lots more filler than I remember. The big tracks are still absolutely top and anything with Shaun Ryder gets an added bonus point. Some of the smaller tracks are pretty good at keeping the atmosphere and I've always loved Fire Coming out of the Monkey's Head. 8/10.
Original post by SaDe7
Recommend Back to Black by Amy Winehouse

Ooooh that is a good shout might put that in the recommendation list!
I've just updated the ratings and will go through the recommendations now.

Due to some differing levels of voting we have ended up with quite a few big calls in album ratings :lol:

Prince finds himself in 4th place which is a little bit of a shocker.
Reply 127
Prince finds himself in 4th place which is a little bit of a shocker.

Well, some would say for a prince not being on the throne is rather apt :wink:
Original post by 8472
Well, some would say for a prince not being on the throne is rather apt :wink:

Second in line to two apes in a heavy zeppelin.
Album 12 - Lets continue to delve!

I cannot introduce this one as I have no idea about it, so just going to let you all get on with listening and not ramble for once!

Marianas Trench - Ever After

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/737av5XsHhJigOC64BV6IY?si=OFOZhrYsTPOHBbMaFnzSoQ

E
njoy!
Marianas Trench - Ever After... might have to do this one in parts, this is a busy evening for me. :s:

Ever After - Nice beginning. :coma: Wasn't ready for the change in the middle, though! Interesting sound.

Haven't Had Enough - I imagine I'd have really liked this 20 years ago, but my tastes have changed.

By Now - Yeah, this sounds like so many songs I played in the early 2000s. :colondollar: Not my thing anymore.

Truth or Dare - Wow, this was a real change in tone! More like the first song, definitely better. :coma: Nice transition into the next track, too.

Desperate Measures - And we're back into secondary school disco territory. :laugh:

Porcelain - Pleasant background music, but a bit too slow for me.

To be continued, time for food. :eating:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Marianas Trench - Ever After... To be continued.

Fallout - This one, I like! A bit more rock than pop. :coma:

Stutter - Really catchy. :coma:

Toy Soldiers - Not for me, this one.

B Team - Meh.

So Soon - Very emotional. :coma:

No Place Like Home - Unusual, but not unpleasant.

5/10 overall. Maybe I'm being too harsh, on them and the bands I used to listen to back in the day, but it's (largely) just not my style of music anymore.
Album 12 - Lets continue to delve!

I cannot introduce this one as I have no idea about it, so just going to let you all get on with listening and not ramble for once!

Marianas Trench - Ever After

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/737av5XsHhJigOC64BV6IY?si=OFOZhrYsTPOHBbMaFnzSoQ

E
njoy!

Bands were never my forte lmaoo but this was okay, overall a 6/10

Album 11....... Isolation Heaven

I was expecting more people to join in on the Gorillaz but it matters not! We move onwards and upwards. We now move to:

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6cjMoruJCG0xsP8yv8ykg2?si=J77qpnJXQLWtNf7iFfoH6w

I think 7/10. It was very nice to listen to, but it hasn't really stayed in my head - all the songs kinda blended together.
Ones I did remember and like were the title track and French African Queen.
Also finally a singer that's at least somewhat within my vocal range lol. Too many tenors these days :colonhash:
I would like to recommend either Origin of Symmetry by :muse: or Kid A by Radiohead
(edited 4 years ago)
Okay here we go, Ever After!

Ever After - interesting start, interesting end, maybe trying too hard or maybe there's no such thing
Haven't Had Enough - was... alright.
By Now - anthemic but I feel like I've heard it before even if I haven't. Not that interesting
Truth or Dare - WUB WUB WUB WUB
Desperate Measures - kind of ruined because I listened to the censored version oops
Porcelain - it does build up nicely
Fallout - sounds like a slightly better version of Haven't Had Enough. Hard to take the music video too seriously :P
Stutter - ooooooo nice bass in the verse. Changes around a bit, quite good.
Toy Soldiers - I like the heavy bits but there aren't enough of them
B Team - nice transition from the last song. Nice cowbell. Ending surprised me
So Soon - so this is the soft emotional piano song. Nice strings. The choir at the end is a good twist
No Place Like Home - surprised the banjo worked as well as it did. And finally the rest of the band gets to let their hair down a bit! This song pushed my score up by 1 :smile:

5/10

Was initially 6/10 then I thought "Is it really only 1 worse than the last one?"
the answer is no

in hindsight 4/10, like I don't think I'll be listening to this one again
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 137
Original post by Sinnoh
I would like to recommend either Origin of Symmetry by :muse: or Kid A by Radiohead

OOS my favourite album, and I love Radiohead
Original post by mu5er
OOS my favourite album, and I love Radiohead

It is a bit throwing people into the deep end though, I think Black Holes and Revelations is a better introductory one
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 139
Original post by Sinnoh
It is a bit throwing people into the deep end though, I think Black Holes and Revelations is a better introductory one

Yeah good point, or maybe even absolution

Quick Reply

Latest