The Student Room Group

what is pharmacy like?

Hi I have some questions about pharmacy course at uni?

What would the chemistry difficulty be like for someone who usually gets C's and B's at a-level?
how much chem is there?
do you have to be confident in organic chem?
what is the workload like?

what is the actual job like- is it as boring as everyone says it to be ?
what do you do in the placements?
do you do a lot of lab work?
is the maths fairly simple?

Thanks Everyone :smile:
Original post by broman12

What would the chemistry difficulty be like for someone who usually gets C's and B's at a-level?
how much chem is there?

Hello Pharmacy student here,

I am currently in second year and there is a chemistry module in both first and second year, however I find this is quite repetitive of A-level for now with the minority of content being new.
As long as you are willing to study hard to keep on top of the chemistry achieving a grade B or C wouldn't be too much of a problem.
There is organic chemistry content too so as long as you go over it then you will be okay.

At Portsmouth Uni we have visits to community pharmacy in first and second year and a hospital placement for a week in third year.
However, you can apply for your own summer placements with other providers.

There is not too many labs from my experience so far, but they are fun!
The maths is okay for me but it depends on the person, but if there is anything you find particularly hard you can always use YouTube videos to help

Hope this helps! - Eloise - Official University Rep :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep

I am currently in second year and there is a chemistry module in both first and second year, however I find this is quite repetitive of A-level for now with the minority of content being new.
As long as you are willing to study hard to keep on top of the chemistry achieving a grade B or C wouldn't be too much of a problem.
There is organic chemistry content too so as long as you go over it then you will be okay.

At Portsmouth Uni we have visits to community pharmacy in first and second year and a hospital placement for a week in third year.

The maths is okay for me but it depends on the person, but if there is anything you find particularly hard you can always use YouTube videos to help

Hi . I am also interested to know more about pharmacy. can you please provide some information on what are the job prospects and earning after graduation and in say 5 years after that. Can someone setup a pharmacy as his/her own business? if yes how much you think it will cost this type of business.?
kind regards
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep

Thank you so much! This really has cleared up my doubts! I'm also thinking of applying to portsmouth too, if you don't mind could you tell me how the uni is overall and how the course here is and what attracted you to it! Thanks again!
Thank you so much! This really has cleared up my doubts! I'm also thinking of applying to portsmouth too, if you don't mind could you tell me how the uni is overall and how the course here is and what attracted you to it! Thanks again!

No problem at all!

Academically the University itself has great resources, with a big library and access to most books you would use for Pharmacy online too, which is great for studying at home.
The location of the uni is what made me want to study here, it's so nice to be by the beach and you can just take a walk there in the sun and get some fres air if you want a study break.
There's also good nightlife in Portsmouth with clubs in the town, if you're interested in that side of things, and lots of bars and pubs in Southsea as well.

I find the course to be very interesting itself, in first year you have 6 modules covering the basics of Pharmacy which includes
- basic cells and cell systems
- basic chemistry (which is mostly A-level as I said before)
- You start to build your pharmacy knowledge - how to dispense prescriptions, learning the basics of how a pharmacy works
- Pharmacology - the action of how the drug works
- and neuroscience
You're examined predominantly with multiple choice questions to represent the Pre-Reg exam that you take after graduation, I think this is really great as it prepares you better for that exam (as it is multiple choice)
What I like about studying at Portsmouth is that each year you build upon knowledge from the previous year and it comes together smoothly.
Also during first year you get structured sessions with second year students who can help your learning and support you throughout the rest of your time at uni, which I really liked.
Most of the lectures these days are recorded as well, so if you happen to be ill and miss one you don't have to miss out on any knowledge.

For more information on the course you can search on the University website to find anymore details about the different modules etc.

Anything else you want to know just ask
- Eloise - Official Student Rep
Reply 5

how much chem is there?

Hi there!

I'm a pre-registration Pharmacist having completed my degree last year :smile:

I think the chemisry aspect really differs depending on the uni you go to, but by no means do you need to be an expert! My course wasn't very chemistry intense, we had chemistry modules in the first 2 years and then after that the chemistry was incorporated into the more clinical Pharmacy modules. For example - we learnt about a drug and then looked into the chemistry behind how it was designed / works in the body. I acheieved a B in my chemistry A level and found the Chemistry in the degree totally manageable!

The workload is pretty intense compared to most other degrees, but if you are motivated and organised it is fine. I found first year the hardest as it was difficult finding the work - life balance but you will figure it out soon enough :smile:

Im in my first year of working and its good! I'm based in a hospital and would 100% recommend going into this sector. It's so varied and you can apply a lot of your degree into practice and see the benefit you make to patients. University placements were definitely the biggest help for preparing me to work!! I started placement as soon as I began uni. We rotated around community, hospital, GP surgeries, industry and even aspetics. In first year, you mainly shadow Pharmacists to get an understanding of the role but by final year I was given my own bay of patients to look after and report back to the supervising pharmacist.

In terms of lab work, my uni did a lot in the first 2 years. We would make tablets, creams, suspensions and other different medications which was really fun and good for those who are interested in industrial pharmacy. The maths is simple once you have got your head around the basis of the type of math questions in pharmaceutical calcs.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!!
Reply 6
Original post by asullyy
Hi there!

I'm a pre-registration Pharmacist having completed my degree last year :smile:

I think the chemisry aspect really differs depending on the uni you go to, but by no means do you need to be an expert! My course wasn't very chemistry intense, we had chemistry modules in the first 2 years and then after that the chemistry was incorporated into the more clinical Pharmacy modules. For example - we learnt about a drug and then looked into the chemistry behind how it was designed / works in the body. I acheieved a B in my chemistry A level and found the Chemistry in the degree totally manageable!

The workload is pretty intense compared to most other degrees, but if you are motivated and organised it is fine. I found first year the hardest as it was difficult finding the work - life balance but you will figure it out soon enough :smile:

Im in my first year of working and its good! I'm based in a hospital and would 100% recommend going into this sector. It's so varied and you can apply a lot of your degree into practice and see the benefit you make to patients. University placements were definitely the biggest help for preparing me to work!! I started placement as soon as I began uni. We rotated around community, hospital, GP surgeries, industry and even aspetics. In first year, you mainly shadow Pharmacists to get an understanding of the role but by final year I was given my own bay of patients to look after and report back to the supervising pharmacist.

In terms of lab work, my uni did a lot in the first 2 years. We would make tablets, creams, suspensions and other different medications which was really fun and good for those who are interested in industrial pharmacy. The maths is simple once you have got your head around the basis of the type of math questions in pharmaceutical calcs.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask!!

Thank you so much! This has really helped! Yeah the lab work actually seems pretty fun from the sound of it.
what uni did you go to?
Reply 7
Thank you so much! This has really helped! Yeah the lab work actually seems pretty fun from the sound of it.
what uni did you go to?

No problem, happy to help!! I went to Birmingham University, its a fairly new course but without being bias, I really couldn't recommend it more. The course structure was very clinically centered, which meant lots of patient contact from day 1 and has really helped me from transitioning into my pre-reg year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending