The Student Room Group

I am really panicking

I am really struggling on what I should do.

I am currently in uni studying pharmacy but I honestly don't know if I like the course anymore. I am very science driven and pharmacy is quite clinically dominant in comparison to actual science. I chose pharmacy because I thought it was a transferrable degree that isn't predominatly based on a career as a community pharmacist.

Well I was wrong. Apparently pharmacy doesn't even pay that well and apparently its a mudane profession from what I have researched online.

I applied to ucas to study mechanical engineering because I am also good at maths. Apparently its a very transferrable degree and it pays better than the average pharmacist.

I wanted to get into patent law or software engineering but apparently these professions are really hard to get into and I can't find any information regarding internships or summer schemes at all.

I am really panicking and its really taken a toll on my mental health. I am literally anxious everytime I think about this dilemma.

I don't know what to do.

I am currently in first year.
Original post by Anonymous

I am currently in uni studying pharmacy but I honestly don't know if I like the course anymore. I am very science driven and pharmacy is quite clinically dominant in comparison to actual science. I chose pharmacy because I thought it was a transferrable degree that isn't predominatly based on a career as a community pharmacist.

Well I was wrong. Apparently pharmacy doesn't even pay that well and apparently its a mudane profession from what I have researched online.

I applied to ucas to study mechanical engineering because I am also good at maths. Apparently its a very transferrable degree and it pays better than the average pharmacist.

I wanted to get into patent law or software engineering but apparently these professions are really hard to get into and I can't find any information regarding internships or summer schemes at all.

I am really panicking and its really taken a toll on my mental health. I am literally anxious everytime I think about this dilemma.

I don't know what to do.

It sounds like you don't want to commit to any one thing: "I chose pharmacy because I thought it was a transferrable degree" / "I applied to ucas to study mechanical engineering ... Apparently its a very transferrable degree".

You're also keen to avoid potential issues: "apparently its a mudane profession" / "I wanted to get into patent law or software engineering but apparently these professions are really hard to get into".

If you try to find a degree which is entirely flexible / transferrable, and which has a clear and easy career path, you're going to struggle.

So set all those criteria aside. What do you want to do? What do you enjoy doing?
Original post by Anonymous #1

I don't know what to do.

Maybe make a pros and cons list of your different options and speak to someone you can trust to give you advice.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
It sounds like you don't want to commit to any one thing: "I chose pharmacy because I thought it was a transferrable degree" / "I applied to ucas to study mechanical engineering ... Apparently its a very transferrable degree".

You're also keen to avoid potential issues: "apparently its a mudane profession" / "I wanted to get into patent law or software engineering but apparently these professions are really hard to get into".

If you try to find a degree which is entirely flexible / transferrable, and which has a clear and easy career path, you're going to struggle.

So set all those criteria aside. What do you want to do? What do you enjoy doing?

Why will I struggle?

Also,

I like a range of things.

I had a phase where I liked coding - I used to be a developer in lua, python, html and css. Thats why I though of software engineering.

I have a passion for chemistry, maths and law.

So I thought maybe patent law would be good to get into.

I chose pharmacy because I thought it was a well paid career and it linked into chemistry.

I am now going into Mech Engineering because its transferrable and it can get me any 1 of those careers

Quick Reply

Latest