The Student Room Group

do higher entry requirements mean anything

what i mean by the title is despite warwick being ranked ‘better’ than cardiff usually cardiff had slightly higher entry requirements for my course? what does this mean about the course itself (if it means anything at all)
Original post by astrostial
what i mean by the title is despite warwick being ranked ‘better’ than cardiff usually cardiff had slightly higher entry requirements for my course? what does this mean about the course itself (if it means anything at all)

Rankings mean nothing and vary between different tables. Go where you will be happiest.
Original post by swanseajack1
Rankings mean nothing and vary between different tables. Go where you will be happiest.

This is true. Also keep in mind that higher entry requirements means the other students there will have achieved those requirements, so the course may be geared towards that.
Reply 3
Entry requirements are a filter. Lots of mediocre courses have high entry requirements because the course/ uni is very popular. Thus that uni is in the privileged position of setting high entry requirements as a means of filtering out the students. Taking the two unis you mentioned - Warwick and Cardiff as examples. Cardiff is a vibrant city, the capital of Wales so there is a lot going on. They don't need to try too hard to attract students simply because the city is so appealing. Warwick, a top university a few miles away from Coventry, a city which does not have the same appeal as Cardiff city. That being said, I think you can count on one hand the number of courses to Warwick where you don't need to get AAA to get in.
Reply 4
Its all about marketing and 'positioning'.

AAA, or whatever, doesnt mean its any 'better' than another course asking for BBB - and it certainly doesnt mean that you will enjoy the course or like being at that Uni any more than any other.

Go to Open Days, listen to the course presentations, ask questions and make up your own mind if its right for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending