The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask a Warwick Student!

Scroll to see replies

I'm an American student who received a MORSE BSc offer I'm considering as I wait on US colleges. Academically, the program sounds perfect given my interests but I do have some concerns. A few questions I have:

1. It looks like Warwick draws a good number of international students. Do you find many Americans on campus?
2. While American unis offer cafeterias/dining plans, Warwick is self-catering. Do students ever struggle first-time shopping/feeding/cooking for themselves?
3. Perhaps my biggest concern being across the ocean as an international student is a feeling of isolation first year. How close is the student community and do you find it easy to meet friends through societies, accommodation, and courses?
4. Final question - if I'd like to visit Warwick prior to making a decision, what is the best way to visit campus and get a feel for the university, student life, academic life, career prospects (inside and outside the UK), etc?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I've applied to study Computer Science at Warwick and I was wondering: are there many students that come off as elitist? Honestly, it's something that put me off applying to many of the Russell group universities and I was wondering what kind of impression the Warwick community gives off.
Original post by KingPiEta
I've applied to study Computer Science at Warwick and I was wondering: are there many students that come off as elitist? Honestly, it's something that put me off applying to many of the Russell group universities and I was wondering what kind of impression the Warwick community gives off.

I don't think so in Computer Science, but I'm sure the story is very different in finance / accounting / law. There's a bit of a reputation for those subjects, but that'll be the same anywhere. :yep:

Generally I don't get that vibe, but it does depend on who you surround yourself with - I don't surround myself with flashy elitist people :lol: it won't be as bad as Excetahh though. :smile:
Original post by parmezanne
I don't think so in Computer Science, but I'm sure the story is very different in finance / accounting / law. There's a bit of a reputation for those subjects, but that'll be the same anywhere. :yep:

Generally I don't get that vibe, but it does depend on who you surround yourself with - I don't surround myself with flashy elitist people :lol: it won't be as bad as Excetahh though. :smile:

That makes sense, thanks for the response. The idea of pretentious people is probably worse in my head anyway.
Does Warwick's slow response rate affect how easy it is to get specific accommodation, considering that it's first-come first-serve? I am also wondering what the disadvantages are of waiting until just before the deadline to firm a university.
Original post by KingPiEta
Does Warwick's slow response rate affect how easy it is to get specific accommodation, considering that it's first-come first-serve? I am also wondering what the disadvantages are of waiting until just before the deadline to firm a university.

This is the first year that Warwick have done any accommodation first-come first-serve, and it's not clear yet whether that's just for returning students or also for new first years, so there's no way to tell how it would impact things.

If they keep it the same as normal for first years, then there is no benefit (at least for Warwick) to rushing your decision, since everyone has equal chance of getting one of their top accommodation choices. Therefore you should take as much time as you need to make the right choice since it's the next 3+ years of your life.

If they do change to first-come first-serve then that may change things, but most people end up pretty happy with their accommodation anyway (most major issues I've heard are with flatmates rather than the halls themselves), so I would still give it as much time as you need.
Original post by Interea
This is the first year that Warwick have done any accommodation first-come first-serve, and it's not clear yet whether that's just for returning students or also for new first years, so there's no way to tell how it would impact things.

If they keep it the same as normal for first years, then there is no benefit (at least for Warwick) to rushing your decision, since everyone has equal chance of getting one of their top accommodation choices. Therefore you should take as much time as you need to make the right choice since it's the next 3+ years of your life.

If they do change to first-come first-serve then that may change things, but most people end up pretty happy with their accommodation anyway (most major issues I've heard are with flatmates rather than the halls themselves), so I would still give it as much time as you need.

Thanks for your response. You're right, firming the right university is more important than getting ideal accommodation, so I'll just see what I end up with.
anyone who has studied management? what is it like? what parts do you dislike about the course? how is it in terms of spring weeks/ internships/jobs?
Hi, I've got an offer for MSc in Cybersecurity Engineering at Warwick and I had a few questions for students currently there or graduated ones.

1. Which residence halls are best for in campus accommodation? How is the life at the campus and living off campus, which is better? (I've read that Coventry isn't a very nice/interesting place but on what terms exactly?)
2. How is the employability for warwick graduates overall and specially for Cybersecurity? (also for engineering or compute science courses)
3. How much is the lingering possibility of recession affecting job opportunities right now? (I understand that possibility of recession affects everyone but some universities still do better than other, so in that case how does Warwick compete?)
4. Overall how is the experience living in the UK and Warwick? (This question is specifically for international students)
5. If you could give some unasked advice based on your experience to someone who's just starting their education at warwick, what would you say?

Thank you to all those who giving their inputs.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kauko16
Hi, I've got an offer for MSc in Cybersecurity Engineering at Warwick and I had a few questions for students currently there or graduated ones.

1. Which residence halls are best for in campus accommodation? How is the life at the campus and living off campus, which is better? (I've read that Coventry isn't a very nice/interesting place but on what terms exactly?)
2. How is the employability for warwick graduates overall and specially for Cybersecurity? (also for engineering or compute science courses)
3. How much is the lingering possibility of recession affecting job opportunities right now? (I understand that possibility of recession affects everyone but some universities still do better than other, so in that case how does Warwick compete?)
4. Overall how is the experience living in the UK and Warwick? (This question is specifically for international students)
5. If you could give some unasked advice based on your experience to someone who's just starting their education at warwick, what would you say?

Wow that's some slander against cov! I'll answer your questions as a first-year maths student (can't say anything about your MSc soz).
1. In terms of campus accommodation, it really depends on your budget. I'm living in Whitefields (cheapest one) and it's liveable, all of them are- however I would definitely care about the location of each, especially as it is a journey to get from the accommodation to lectures in some places - in terms of this, I would recommend choosing one of the accoms that is on campus and not miles away (this is an exaggeration but also not e.g. Sherborne). In terms of off campus, prices for "student accommodation" off campus is very high, although if you're living with others and instead renting a flat then it's much cheaper. Coventry has most things that a small city has so you shouldn't worry about it being boring/nice, you'll find enough restaurants and other establishments to fulfil anything you need!
2&3. A few companies have stopped doing internships, e.g. google and others have stopped hiring graduates, that affects all unis. In terms of Warwick, you really shouldn't worry about it affecting employability much, Warwick is well known for their STEM courses and especially their maths and computer science departments so it looks good on a CV. In terms of employability, there are many career events at Warwick (I go to around 2 a week) that companies host, so that should give you a bit of an idea about how much companies value us (yay!)
4. It's the same experience that "home" students get. I'm currently sharing a flat with 4 international students on campus and its great, a few of my friends are also international students so I don't think there is much difference. Some things may be a culture shock, but I wouldn't imagine it feeling any different than going on a holiday- and then staying there for a loonnng time.
5. Time management is a difficult thing, there are going to be many things that you want to spend your time on and many of these will be important to you and there’s a good chance you will get overwhelmed - and that's ok! It's inevitable that some things will go not according to plan in your first year (I may have a few things to say about that...) but you just need the motivation to prioritise some things over others at certain times (especially when coursework is due) but also feel relaxed to push things back a bit. You can plan a lot about uni, but not everything, so don't worry about what is going to happen, and instead focus on what is happening- also plan ahead so you don't stay up till 6am doing course work...
Original post by _gcx
I'm a maths student at Warwick and I've just finished my first year. (Warwick first year exams were cancelled!) I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the university, maths at Warwick, or university life in general!

Also answering questions here:

I AM GROOT 1 - LLB Law (First Year)

parmezanne - History and Sociology (First Year)

This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universites, please check out the main list of threads:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Spoiler

Hiya I'm looking to ask a previous year Math student at Warwick, what date has the last summer math exam date been typically? I am wondering if I can book something for the 20th of June. Thanks
Original post by Kauko16

1) I lived in Jack Martin my first year and I can honestly say I had a blast, it was literally a couple of minutes away from central campus and two mins away from Rootes Grocery(although Rootes is expensive, it's convenient for your essentials). For JM you get en suites and a decent-sized (on the small end) room. My flatmates were great and I still meet up with them loads this year as well. I feel like I got pretty lucky with my experience but I would defo recommend Jack Martin, I think it's slightly more on the pricier end but for the location, it's definitely worth it. For living off campus, there are a few options, most people either go to Cov, Canley or Leamington Spa. You're right about Cov not being a great place to live in, I don't know many people that live there, but I know quite a few that live in Canley and it's great to commute to campus since you can just walk or cycle. I live in Leamington and although the commute is rough(usually around 45 mins by bus) literally most of the Leamington population is just students and it's also a nice place to live(provided you live up North). There's also a library and plenty of cafes and restaurants there and clubs like Neon and Smack. Regarding the commute, I actually found that this year, because I've had to commute, it makes me more productive since I have to wake up earlier and plan out my day and spend more time on campus in the library etc rather than being able to just wake up a couple of minutes before a seminar/lecture and just turn up on time and then just head back to my room and do nothing. It's difficult to explain but there's more of a routine when you're commuting if that makes sense but that's just me personally and idk whether it's the same for everyone. Hope that helps, I do econ so I can't really help much with the Cybersecurity questions lol. In terms of general advice, I would say just get stuck into as many activities, societies and clubs as you can during first year because that is when you'll have the most time; try to stay away from Rootes apart from shopping for essentials like bread or milk, otherwise, it becomes a really costly addiction(that I still haven't recovered from); and try to stay up to date with content during the term instead of trying to catch up later because it's pretty tough when you approach finals. Hope that helps!
Reply 452
Original post by OnlyTheQuack
Wow that's some slander against cov! I'll answer your questions as a first-year maths student (can't say anything about your MSc soz).
1. In terms of campus accommodation, it really depends on your budget. I'm living in Whitefields (cheapest one) and it's liveable, all of them are- however I would definitely care about the location of each, especially as it is a journey to get from the accommodation to lectures in some places - in terms of this, I would recommend choosing one of the accoms that is on campus and not miles away (this is an exaggeration but also not e.g. Sherborne). In terms of off campus, prices for "student accommodation" off campus is very high, although if you're living with others and instead renting a flat then it's much cheaper. Coventry has most things that a small city has so you shouldn't worry about it being boring/nice, you'll find enough restaurants and other establishments to fulfil anything you need!
2&3. A few companies have stopped doing internships, e.g. google and others have stopped hiring graduates, that affects all unis. In terms of Warwick, you really shouldn't worry about it affecting employability much, Warwick is well known for their STEM courses and especially their maths and computer science departments so it looks good on a CV. In terms of employability, there are many career events at Warwick (I go to around 2 a week) that companies host, so that should give you a bit of an idea about how much companies value us (yay!)
4. It's the same experience that "home" students get. I'm currently sharing a flat with 4 international students on campus and its great, a few of my friends are also international students so I don't think there is much difference. Some things may be a culture shock, but I wouldn't imagine it feeling any different than going on a holiday- and then staying there for a loonnng time.
5. Time management is a difficult thing, there are going to be many things that you want to spend your time on and many of these will be important to you and there’s a good chance you will get overwhelmed - and that's ok! It's inevitable that some things will go not according to plan in your first year (I may have a few things to say about that...) but you just need the motivation to prioritise some things over others at certain times (especially when coursework is due) but also feel relaxed to push things back a bit. You can plan a lot about uni, but not everything, so don't worry about what is going to happen, and instead focus on what is happening- also plan ahead so you don't stay up till 6am doing course work...

Hey @OnlyTheQuack! Thank you for the thorough reply. I was looking at Whitefields Halls - among how many people were the common places like bathroom and kitchen shared with? Also, do you have any guess on how much it would cost for a room while sharing a flat with other people?
Original post by Marky_1805
1) I lived in Jack Martin my first year and I can honestly say I had a blast, it was literally a couple of minutes away from central campus and two mins away from Rootes Grocery(although Rootes is expensive, it's convenient for your essentials). For JM you get en suites and a decent-sized (on the small end) room. My flatmates were great and I still meet up with them loads this year as well. I feel like I got pretty lucky with my experience but I would defo recommend Jack Martin, I think it's slightly more on the pricier end but for the location, it's definitely worth it. For living off campus, there are a few options, most people either go to Cov, Canley or Leamington Spa. You're right about Cov not being a great place to live in, I don't know many people that live there, but I know quite a few that live in Canley and it's great to commute to campus since you can just walk or cycle. I live in Leamington and although the commute is rough(usually around 45 mins by bus) literally most of the Leamington population is just students and it's also a nice place to live(provided you live up North). There's also a library and plenty of cafes and restaurants there and clubs like Neon and Smack. Regarding the commute, I actually found that this year, because I've had to commute, it makes me more productive since I have to wake up earlier and plan out my day and spend more time on campus in the library etc rather than being able to just wake up a couple of minutes before a seminar/lecture and just turn up on time and then just head back to my room and do nothing. It's difficult to explain but there's more of a routine when you're commuting if that makes sense but that's just me personally and idk whether it's the same for everyone. Hope that helps, I do econ so I can't really help much with the Cybersecurity questions lol. In terms of general advice, I would say just get stuck into as many activities, societies and clubs as you can during first year because that is when you'll have the most time; try to stay away from Rootes apart from shopping for essentials like bread or milk, otherwise, it becomes a really costly addiction(that I still haven't recovered from); and try to stay up to date with content during the term instead of trying to catch up later because it's pretty tough when you approach finals. Hope that helps!

Thanks @Marky_1805 for the detailed reply. I have the same question for you, how much it would cost for a room while sharing a flat with other people? Also I think the residence you mentioned - Jack Martin - is not available for postgraduate students.
Original post by Kauko16
Hey @OnlyTheQuack! Thank you for the thorough reply. I was looking at Whitefields Halls - among how many people were the common places like bathroom and kitchen shared with? Also, do you have any guess on how much it would cost for a room while sharing a flat with other people?

Thanks @Marky_1805 for the detailed reply. I have the same question for you, how much it would cost for a room while sharing a flat with other people? Also I think the residence you mentioned - Jack Martin - is not available for postgraduate students.

In terms of the kitchen - 12 people. It doesn't get crowded often however there is not a lot of fridge/freezer space for each person. Out of the whitefields postgraduate flats I've seen (some are designated for only postgrads) they are much cleaner than the undergraduate ones. In terms of toilets, there is a seperate toilet room (with a sink) and a shower room (with a sink). Each pair is shared between each floor which has 6 people. If you were to live nearby in Canley and share a flat, you could probably get it to around 100£/w (this would include better resources than at whitefields though!).

Renting in coventry/lemington goes for anywhere from 70-200£ when renting a house/flat with others.

Hope this helps!
Reply 454
Hello, im an international student and will be joining warwick in liberal arts dept for postgrad. I am looking for ideal accomodation for international students that is closer to my department and classes. Ideally ensuite. Any help would be appreciated. thankyou!
Original post by SHA1415
Hello, im an international student and will be joining warwick in liberal arts dept for postgrad. I am looking for ideal accomodation for international students that is closer to my department and classes. Ideally ensuite. Any help would be appreciated. thankyou!

Hi, if you're interested in off-campus accommodation, I have a room at The Oaks for next year that I need a replacement tenant for. The accommodation is £202/wk (bills included) for 45 weeks, or £198 for 51 weeks, which is cheaper than a few of the on campus en-suite accommodations and has free gym, study spaces, cinema/game rooms. It's about 20 minutes from central campus and from Cannon Park. Deposit is £250 (refunded at the end of tenancy). My room is bronze en-suite, shared kitchen.
Is anyone here a Graduate Entry Medicine student at the University of Warwick? I'd love to know more about your clinical placements and patient contact in Years 1 & 2. I'd also love to know more about your surgical placements.
Reply 457
Hi!
I am trying to decide whether to firm my offer for Physics at Warwick.

Any opinions/observations about the physics department?

Is the Leamington commute a nightmare? Realistically how long does the bus take in the morning rush hour?

What is living in Canley like? Any nice private halls local to the uni? Are they ALL international students? (No issue with international at all, but would prefer not to be only non-international.)

In the first year, if you wanted to go out in the evening to a pub or similar, where would you go, are there bars on campus?

How likely are you to get a room in on-campus halls after the first year?

Are there any good indie/alternative club nights/bands playing anywhere?

Original post by zcapp
Hi!
I am trying to decide whether to firm my offer for Physics at Warwick.

Any opinions/observations about the physics department?

Is the Leamington commute a nightmare? Realistically how long does the bus take in the morning rush hour?

What is living in Canley like? Any nice private halls local to the uni? Are they ALL international students? (No issue with international at all, but would prefer not to be only non-international.)

In the first year, if you wanted to go out in the evening to a pub or similar, where would you go, are there bars on campus?

How likely are you to get a room in on-campus halls after the first year?

Are there any good indie/alternative club nights/bands playing anywhere?

1) I don't study physics at Warwick, but I think the department is generally well-regarded. The department building is not exactly pretty though to be fair.

2) I don't live in Leamington this year (but will next year). The commute is not great. The main problem being that the busses get full early in South Leamington, and then fail to pick more people up on the way. This is improving though, and the university is working with the bus companies to fix these issues (to my knowledge). Unfortunately, leamington is quite far away (by distance) so does take a little while to commute to campus but it depends where you live - maybe 20-35 minutes if you take the U1/U2/U3.

3) I have lived in Canley for a couple years. It's a generally nice place to live. Contrary to popular belief, it's perfectly safe (in my opinion). There are lots of very nice halls in Canley, close to campus, such as The Oaks and Vita - though these are very expensive compared to jointly renting a house in the local area with other students. Canley has the advantage over other student areas such as Bristol / York / London ect., of actually being pretty reasonably priced if you rent a student house with others. Canley has a very strong concentration of international students in my experience, but there are obviously also domestic students as well - it really depends where you live in Canley.

4) There are a few good places on campus. The Dirty Duck is the campus pub, and the Terrace Bar is the campus bar. Honestly not bad places at all - particuarly if you live on campus. Reasonably cheap and decent places. Off campus, there's not much - there is a pub called The Phantom Coach pretty close to campus which is OK, but nothing special imo. You'd need to commute into Earlsdon for the nearest Spoons :/. Ultimately, Coventry has a pretty dead nightlife.

5) I'm not 100% sure on this. It's certainly possible - but I don't know how likely it is - sorry!

6) Eh, not really? Perhaps there is and I haven't found them yet! But like I mentioned before, the night life in Coventry is not good. It's reasonably better in Leamington, but not many 'alternative' venues in the sense you might get in other cities such as York or Exeter.

Hope this helps!
Original post by _gcx
I'm a maths student at Warwick and I've just finished my first year. (Warwick first year exams were cancelled!) I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the university, maths at Warwick, or university life in general!
Also answering questions here:

I AM GROOT 1 - LLB Law (First Year)

parmezanne - History and Sociology (First Year)

This AMA is part of the 'Ask a University Student 2.0' initiative. If you want to find out more about other courses or universites, please check out the main list of threads:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6431108

Spoiler

What is the stance on students taking their cars?

Quick Reply

Latest