The Student Room Group

Is a nursing degree hard?

Compared to a level biology is it much harder?
I thought their would be a lot of biology in it but it is not even a requirement for the course so I don't know how hard it will be.
Original post by Flyehigh
I thought their would be a lot of biology in it but it is not even a requirement for the course so I don't know how hard it will be.

Nursing is relevant hard as you learning the human body and how to admin drugs etc compared to biology, you only need a science subject to do nursing , midwifing is harder due to learning & understanding of the woman body .

Harder than A level biology: of course, it's another academic level up! Obviously not as hard as medicine (though it needs a different skill set), but not easy by any means.
Original post by Tracey1995
Nursing is relevant hard as you learning the human body and how to admin drugs etc compared to biology, you only need a science subject to do nursing , midwifing is harder due to learning & understanding of the woman body .

Oh I thought midwifery and nursing had the same work level.
Original post by Reality Check
Harder than A level biology: of course, it's another academic level up! Obviously not as hard as medicine (though it needs a different skill set), but not easy by any means.

I understand that I was just wondering if their was a lot of biology and physiology in the course then they would require an a level in it. I just thought their would be a lot more science involved in the course.
Oh I thought midwifery and nursing had the same work level.

No midwifing is different from general nursing as they not dealing with day to day of delivering babies . You dealing with minimum of two lives with midwifing if you see the bigger picture .
No midwifing is different from general nursing as they not dealing with day to day of delivering babies . You dealing with minimum of two lives with midwifing if you see the bigger picture .

Are lectures compulsory for you too and do you have the same number of placements?
Do you have any recommendations for pre reading for nursing?
Are lectures compulsory for you too and do you have the same number of placements?
Do you have any recommendations for pre reading for nursing?

Yes lectures are compulsory unfortunately, must attend university just the same with nursing students etc, placements are also similar to, you do nearly 50/50 split on placements and attending university lectures and theory practice

Best thing if you are about to start as a student nurse is to read few books on the human body like - anatomy and pyshiology of the human body as good book and there's others you can read to, you can usually borrow then from libraries but they be close at present with this virus situation, but look online for " best student nursing books " and see what's available there .
Original post by Reality Check

Cheers my friend for the rep as appreciated xxx
Yes lectures are compulsory unfortunately, must attend university just the same with nursing students etc, placements are also similar to, you do nearly 50/50 split on placements and attending university lectures and theory practice

Best thing if you are about to start as a student nurse is to read few books on the human body like - anatomy and pyshiology of the human body as good book and there's others you can read to, you can usually borrow then from libraries but they be close at present with this virus situation, but look online for " best student nursing books " and see what's available there .

Thankyou.
Thankyou.

No problems in assisting xx
PM if you anything else you want to ask as if not I'm fine with things x
No problems in assisting xx
PM if you anything else you want to ask as if not I'm fine with things x

Will do ☺️
Will do ☺️

Okay

A nursing degree is a big step up from A-Level Biology, and nursing as a career can be challenging at times. I think you really have to be committed to it to push through. Doing your research, possible related work experience or volunteering and visiting open days can help you get more information about this area to see if it really is for you.
Original post by cheesecakelove
A nursing degree is a big step up from A-Level Biology, and nursing as a career can be challenging at times. I think you really have to be committed to it to push through. Doing your research, possible related work experience or volunteering and visiting open days can help you get more information about this area to see if it really is for you.

I've done work experience in a caring agency and a hospital and have an offer for nursing this year. I just wanted to know how much of a jump it was between a levels and how I can prepare for that jump.
Reply 15
try and not think like this it will just scare. learn good essay writing skills and referencing its right pain. take each essay as they come once your in the swing of the course i wont say its easy but you will know what to do. oh and dont wait until near the deadline to submit think my best was with 10 minutes to go.
Original post by paub
try and not think like this it will just scare. learn good essay writing skills and referencing its right pain. take each essay as they come once your in the swing of the course i wont say its easy but you will know what to do. oh and dont wait until near the deadline to submit think my best was with 10 minutes to go.

Okay thankyou.
naturally it's going to be harder. Completion of a Nursing degree gives you not just an academic qualification (usually a Bachelor of Science) but also a professional one, leading to registration with the Nursing & Midwifery Council. So the content you learn will give you the practice & principles you need to become a career-ready professional. But don't the step between A Level & degree scare you - the whole point of a degree is to learn, so you won't be fully chucked in at the deep end... staff will be on hand every step of the way:smile:
Original post by jayakim99
naturally it's going to be harder. Completion of a Nursing degree gives you not just an academic qualification (usually a Bachelor of Science) but also a professional one, leading to registration with the Nursing & Midwifery Council. So the content you learn will give you the practice & principles you need to become a career-ready professional. But don't the step between A Level & degree scare you - the whole point of a degree is to learn, so you won't be fully chucked in at the deep end... staff will be on hand every step of the way:smile:

Okay. Thankyou.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending