The Student Room Group

English Coursework help

Hey guys, I hope lockdowns is going well for yall

I'll be starting my coursework soon but I really can't choose what book to compare to the Handmaid's Tale. So far I have a list of three and I'm of centering my question around female sexuality/voice (depending what book suits best
So far I have thought about doing:

The Bell Jar
The Bloody Chamber
The Scarlet Letter

I think all of the novels above have strong comparison points but in the end, I'm not sure which one to commit to .
These would all fit great - i would write a list of similarities for each to the Handmaids Tale - im not sure what board you are but if you do context then a male write vs a female one or two female ones will make a difference on the focalisation and if you choose the scarlet letter you can critique it for sexism more easily than if it were written by a man. Not sure if that helps but just try and work out which have the most relating to points you want to make
The Bell Jar definitely go for it I suggest! I did my coursework recently on that one and Far From a madding crowd by Thomas Hardy. My question was : how are women presented as stifled to particular social norms? Which I think would bring in similar ideas to yours. Wow good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Angela.801
The Bell Jar definitely go for it I suggest! I did my coursework recently on that one and Far From a madding crowd by Thomas Hardy. My question was : how are women presented as stifled to particular social norms? Which I think would bring in similar ideas to yours. Wow good luck!

Original post by buzzybuzzybea
These would all fit great - i would write a list of similarities for each to the Handmaids Tale - im not sure what board you are but if you do context then a male write vs a female one or two female ones will make a difference on the focalisation and if you choose the scarlet letter you can critique it for sexism more easily than if it were written by a man. Not sure if that helps but just try and work out which have the most relating to points you want to make

Thanks guys!! I'll def have a think about what you all said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending