The Student Room Group

Jobs to fund Masters

I'm planning on taking a year out before doing a masters course to get a full time job and save up some money for it. I will have a degree in Film Studies and Philosophy - what jobs would be suitable to work for the year and save up for masters. If you have done this before, what jobs did you have ?
Original post by callumw98
I'm planning on taking a year out before doing a masters course to get a full time job and save up some money for it. I will have a degree in Film Studies and Philosophy - what jobs would be suitable to work for the year and save up for masters. If you have done this before, what jobs did you have ?

You might have to settle for an unrelated job, as there probably aren't many jobs geared towards Film Studies and/or Philosophy. You could look for work as a tutor for GCSE or A level Philosophy perhaps, although that might not lead to a full time income.

If it is just to raise extra money, you could apply for jobs like retail, hospitality, office jobs. If you have previous experience, it will be easier for you to get these roles. At the same time, you could look into related volunteering or making some of your own side projects (for example, making your own films and uploading them to the internet). This would give you extra things to put in your application.

Hey @callumw98 :smile:

I hope you are looking forward to starting your Master's, I really enjoyed doing mine; I studied Sociology.

As a few others have mentioned, finding a job in the area may prove difficult. Working in a cinema or theatre as an usher or even a server may be a good insight into the industry.

Do you know also of the Master's degree loan? You are offered £10, 906 which will cover the cost of your tuition fee (courses can be £4,000-£7,000) and you will keep the rest and treat it almost like a maintenance loan.

If I can help anywhere at all, please let me know.

Good luck with whatever you do! :biggrin:

Ashley :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending