The Student Room Group

between-subjects & within-subjects

If a study is both non-experimental and a quasi-experiment, can they also either have a between-subjects or within-subjects design or is this only for experimental designs?

Original post by theweirdo
If a study is both non-experimental and a quasi-experiment, can they also either have a between-subjects or within-subjects design or is this only for experimental designs?

Hi @theweirdo

I believe that the terms 'between and within-subjects' wouldn't be used in these cases as they are generally referring to the conditions in a study. With a non-experimental design, there is no manipulation of IVs so saying between-subjects wouldn't really add anything to describing the study. What is this study? I am not really sure how a study could be both non-experimental and quasi-experimental

Duncan :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by UniofGreenwich
Hi @theweirdo

I believe that the terms 'between and within-subjects' wouldn't be used in these cases as they are generally referring to the conditions in a study. With a non-experimental design, there is no manipulation of IVs so saying between-subjects wouldn't really add anything to describing the study. What is this study? I am not really sure how a study could be both non-experimental and quasi-experimental

Duncan :smile:

Ohh okay thank you, that makes sense. The study is a series of questionnaires where the responses from each questionnaire are examined for a relationship. There are no manipulations at all - the participants answer the questions and that's all. Would this make it a non-experimental study?

Thank you once again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending