The Student Room Group

GLS (GLP) Training Contract applications (2020)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Mollop
This doesn’t seem very fair considering it’s clearly stated to be a practice question. I assume they’ve viewed it and decided it’s suitably high scoring otherwise it would be very unfair.

I would absolutely agree on that as it clearly was against the stated protocols, Furthermore, I bumbled along on the practice run and talked garbage, so it wasn't even moderately good, let alone high-quality..

Nevertheless, I have now been invited to the virtual AC :confused:

I never kicked up a fuss about it earlier in the week because in all honesty, I had just given up. It's obvious that as a process, as far as fairness and integrity go, they just make it all up.

Now I'm in, and while I won't be looking a gift horse in the mouth, I don't get it. If the final cut is made on the very highest scores I could not possibly have made it.

I was generally mediocre throughout. One of my responses was a really strained 1 minute only, and it now looks like my atrocious practice answer was also used.

And yet here I am. No evidence to back this up,but I think either

a) my whole video response went missing, so this is a face saver

b) the scoring was done by absolute dimwits

c) they never viewed my video submission at all

d) they've confused me with somebody else

Based on circumstantial evidence and history, it could be any or all of the above!
Does anyone who passed the VI (& congrats to all those who did) have any general tips for those intending to reapply next year please? :smile:
Original post by jessrachel3721
Does anyone who passed the VI (& congrats to all those who did) have any general tips for those intending to reapply next year please? :smile:

I think it's important to remember that it doesn't need to be perfect. If you lose your train of thought while you're speaking, just pause and look away for a few seconds then carry on. I've done that a few times in VIs (including the GLS) and got through.

If they give you bullet points they want you to cover in an answer, stick to them - go through them one by one. Your prepared answer might be smoother, but there's a reason they ask you to answer that way so just go with it.

The GLS is better than most firms in providing a detailed list of the competencies it asks for, and which it will be testing in the VI. Spend some time identifying which ones you can use in your answers. Sometimes I try and use the same wording as in the person specification to make it obvious...

These may sound basic but it's so easy to overthink it. Hope that helps!
Original post by Kat1881
I think it's important to remember that it doesn't need to be perfect. If you lose your train of thought while you're speaking, just pause and look away for a few seconds then carry on. I've done that a few times in VIs (including the GLS) and got through.

If they give you bullet points they want you to cover in an answer, stick to them - go through them one by one. Your prepared answer might be smoother, but there's a reason they ask you to answer that way so just go with it.

The GLS is better than most firms in providing a detailed list of the competencies it asks for, and which it will be testing in the VI. Spend some time identifying which ones you can use in your answers. Sometimes I try and use the same wording as in the person specification to make it obvious...

These may sound basic but it's so easy to overthink it. Hope that helps!

These points are really helpful, thank you! I definitely overthought it haha. Good luck with the AC :smile:
Reply 584
Just in case anyone has missed the info, there is a webinar on Wednesday to give some more information about the AC process
Has anyone gotten feedback on their online assessment scores yet?
Reply 586
I have questions about the pre-employment checks where we send documents before the 11th September. I have sent them off but I am not sure if I have used the right email ( I used [email protected]). Did anyone get a reply when they sent their documents/ use this email? Thanks :smile:
I see Sir Jonathan Jones (Treasury Solicitor and the Head of the GLD) has resigned. A shame because he seemed to be a man of the highest integrity; a model Civil Service lawyer.

Let's hope he leaves on a roll and sacks the shambolic recruitment company who run this process as a final act of integrity.
Original post by Eo39
I have questions about the pre-employment checks where we send documents before the 11th September. I have sent them off but I am not sure if I have used the right email ( I used [email protected]). Did anyone get a reply when they sent their documents/ use this email? Thanks :smile:

I didn't get an acknowledgement email. That's the right email. I trust they have received it.
Reply 589
Interesting to hear in the webinar last night that there were over 6000 applications this year!
Reply 590
Original post by Mollop
Interesting to hear in the webinar last night that there were over 6000 applications this year

I thought the same! Surely that's an unprecedented number of applications for the GLP
Original post by Mollop
Interesting to hear in the webinar last night that there were over 6000 applications this year!

Original post by Sbrin
I thought the same! Surely that's an unprecedented number of applications for the GLP

Crazy
Has anyone received their Zoom link yet?
Yup- same one for everybody.

Weren't we meant to receive a faq sheet?
Will the interviewers ask questions based on the expression of interest form?
Original post by Cclittle
Will the interviewers ask questions based on the expression of interest form?

Noppee
Original post by karikari95
Noppee

Thank you!! =)

And is my understanding correct that if the first 2 preferences are no longer available, we will be allocated to another department randomly? (as long as there are still TCs available)
Yes I think so, though, they'll discuss this with you
Good luck to all!
Reply 599
Original post by karikari95
Yup- same one for everybody.

Weren't we meant to receive a faq sheet?

Some had received it, but it had old GLS branding on it, references to 'TSol' which hasn't been used since 2015 and multiple typos.

I queried this and was told that a correct version would be re-circulated.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending