The Student Room Group

Schools "could re open" after Easter if lockdown continues to be a success

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/schools-could-re-open-after-21832723

Seems sketchy, but in theory I don't see why not given that they say closing schools have little impact on the spread. Though I don't know how sustainable this would be, given on the last day of school we had 30 teachers off self isolating. Maybe just for older years or sixth formers? In sixth form we have fewer lessons a day anyway and can work independently etc

Scroll to see replies

I don't really think they will open schools that soon as even though statically children are least affected by COVID-19 they will still risk spreading the virus to more vulnerable people. I also don't know what will happen to the older years (11-13) if we went back this year as 11 and 13 wouldn't have any exams to revise for like they usually would this side of the year.
The bottom line I think the government will massively mess up is they chose to open up the schools sooner than originally planned.
Don't believe this for one moment.
Even a measure that has only a little impact is going to save some lives. I don't think that schools are going to open again this year
If schools were to re-open then it should only be for Y7, Y10 and Y12 IMO
Original post by 1st superstar

why yr 7?
Original post by 1st superstar

What about year 8 and 9?
Original post by Obolinda
why yr 7?

First year of of KS3/secondary school so they need support (Y8 don't though)
Original post by SpacePatroFan189
What about year 8 and 9?

No point in having them come to school IMO I wouldn't class those years as "priority" plus meh KS3 doesn't matter. Only GCSEs and beyond does IMO. The only reason Y7 should come in is for support as it's their first year of secondary school. (Although I remember getting no support in Y7 despite being the "1st Y7's ever in the school")
Reply 9
They won't open until the beginning of the new school year.
Original post by Xarao
They won't open until the beginning of the new school year.

how did you come to this conculsion?
Seems a bit pointless, staff will be off, teaching behind, exams cancelled etc.
Original post by Ferrograd
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/schools-could-re-open-after-21832723

Seems sketchy, but in theory I don't see why not given that they say closing schools have little impact on the spread. Though I don't know how sustainable this would be, given on the last day of school we had 30 teachers off self isolating. Maybe just for older years or sixth formers? In sixth form we have fewer lessons a day anyway and can work independently etc

No chance.

The study is completely ignoring how kids get to school, how parents will interact on their way, and is completely ignoring the reality of social distancing.

Not a chance of restarting straight after Easter.
Reply 13
Original post by KSIOLAJIDEBT123
how did you come to this conculsion?

First of all, all exams are cancelled. Secondly, we just had the highest death rate due to the virus yesterday so the "shut down" is nowhere near close to ending. And finally, we've seen an increase in teenagers dying from this as well, so no schools will take that risk.

Oh and there'll be a second wave of the virus spreading once the lockdown is eased.
Original post by Drewski
No chance.

The study is completely ignoring how kids get to school, how parents will interact on their way, and is completely ignoring the reality of social distancing.

Not a chance of restarting straight after Easter.

when do you think we will return back to school
when do you think we will return back to school

Maybe the summer half term, but more likely the start of the new academic year; September.
Yes the peak could happen by Easter Sunday but could be a lot later, no one knows. Then comes the exit strategy which could take a few weeks
Original post by Greywolftwo
Yes the peak could happen by Easter Sunday but could be a lot later, no one knows. Then comes the exit strategy which could take a few weeks

how do they calcuate the approximate date the peak will occur. surely comparing it with other viruses is wrong
Reply 18
how do they calcuate the approximate date the peak will occur. surely comparing it with other viruses is wrong

You are asking way too much. No one knows and you also need to relax. These things take time.
"Could"

Schools "could" do almost anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending