The Student Room Group

I’m a Christian, ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elocin505
God has provided the bible, church, fellow christians to help people know of him. He can't just take non-believers to heaven if they went against his word and never believed him.

It is like you inviting your frenemy to your party. Why would you invite someone who knew of you but still did wrong by you to your party? It would ruin the mood. It is also like a top uni taking someone who did bad in their alevels. Why should a uni invite someone who didn't work hard to enter their good uni?

Those are just examples but God tried and tried to let everyone he loves to join him. God loves us ALL equally. He CREATED us. He knew of us and our sins before we were born. Can you imagine? That's why there are so many convictions in the bible of people who use to do wrong by God. They heard of God. They knew of him and how great he is and they repented their sins and gave their life to christ and went to heaven. God loves us so much that he wants us to know of him, believe in him so we can eventually meet him.

There’s one crucial error in your analogy, I assume you would be 100% certain that your ‘frenemy’ exists through empirical evidence - you have perhaps seen them talked to them and maybe made contact with them therefore leading you to the judgement that he/she exists.
Whereas there is NO evidence for the existence of a God - especially not empirical as the intelligent design argument was nulled following Darwin’s work on evolution as a result of random mutation and natural selection- therefore, in the same way I cannot expect you to believe me when I say there is a giant spaghetti monster behind the moon that moves at such an angle and speed that it cannot be identified, you cannot expect unmoved individuals to believe in your faith- which i assume is Christianity since this is the topic of this thread- especially as your faith is nothing special; just one of countless belief systems created by man throughout history.

Ps. The bible is Not evidence, if it was then so could the book of the three little pigs. Aswell as religious experiences or ‘miracles’ as those who have religious experiences are delusional and miracles often leave out very significant factors- e.g my Nan was diagnosed with cancer and after undergoing treatment from medical professionals she visited Lourdes A year later she was cured must be a miracle. (Extreme but presents my point)

(Hope that doesn’t sound too harsh but please reply or any other Religious person who reads this and has a response 👍)
Original post by Ellyturpin
I guess faith isn’t a gamble if you truly truly believe, I know God, God knows me, to me there’s no gamble about it! However I understand from the outside it looks like a crazy risk 🤣 something I used to think about all the time before I was a Christian!

I actually have read some of the Quran (not a lot, as I only had Jesus in my mind when I was reading it), and had many Muslim friends (and still do now), and I saw what a beautiful religion it was. I listened to my friends when they told me about the kindness of Allah and the amazing stories, as they listened to me tell them about Jesus, and the amazing works he did. We may have very different views, but it’s about listening to one another, agreeing to disagree, and instead of using it as a weapon to say “I’m right and your wrong” we must use it as a tool of education, of growing in understanding of others, and even bonding. You know there’s something really beautiful about understanding someone else’s faith, and them willing to understand yours, and instead of it dividing us, actually uniting us. So in answer to your question, I am sure because it’s planted in my heart, just as a Muslim is sure because it’s planted in theirs, and I’m not willing to sit here and say “I’m right, and you’re wrong” :smile: hope this helped! x

So you think in your heart you know you're a Christian. If this is the case, isn't it unfair to punish those who don't feel that sort of stuff in their heart. This punishment being the idea of hell.

Also, do you follow leviticus and all of its teachings?
I have two question:

1.Do you believe in evolution? If yes, how? Since evolution and what the Bible says to be the beginning of earth are total opposites.

2. Why is god cruel to good people?
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Do you think its OK for Christians to adapt scripture to modern day?

There are cases where certain groups of people today are ostracised, slavery despite being “one with Christ” and God does not seem to be all loving at all despite claims.

E.g LGBT : If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Slaves : When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not satisfy her owner, he must allow her to be bought back again.

Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh

You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.

Cases where God does not seem all loving : And he smote the men of Beth-shemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men (50,070)

Behold with a great plague will the LORD smite thy people and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy goods: And thou shalt have great sickness by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out by reason of the sickness day by day.

From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves.

He [Josiah] executed the priests of the pagan shrines on their own altars, and he burned human bones on the altars to desecrate them.... He did this in obedience to all the laws written in the scroll that Hilkiah the priest had found in the LORD's Temple. Never before had there been a king like Josiah, who turned to the LORD with all his heart and soul and strength, obeying all the laws of Moses. And there has never been a king like him since

Disabilities
For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken; No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the Lord made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God

Hey! Firstly thank you for your question, it would take me a super super long time to address EVERYTHING here, so I’m going to summarise as best I can!

1) I do believe it’s ok to INTERPRET scripture to modern day, so it is made applicable to our lives, however if you mean adapt as so by to change the actual scripture itself, then no, I completely disagree with that

2) sometimes we pinpoint on the bad, that’s a very human thing to do, however that doesn’t mean the right should be ignored, but it is super important that we don’t forget when discussing this how much GOOD the lord has done, and all of his promises.

3) LGBT : this is something I’m going to address a lot: CONTEXT! In these times laws were harsh, very harsh, and to be honest, God was harsh!! That was the only way people would listen. There was little love and good in their hearts, hence why God had to punish before Jesus came and took that punishment for us.

4) slaves - this video addresses this issue perfectly:smile: https://youtu.be/0uBqkZ-m3XI

5) like I said, God punished, people were directly punished for their evil works, because God wanted his people to LISTEN to him and do RIGHT, however Jesus came to take that punishment so we can still be disciplined, corrected, just as a father does, however the punishment was taken

I hope this helps at least a little, I’m sure you can go online and find context to all of those verses, because I understand out side of it they seem scary
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
So you think in your heart you know you're a Christian. If this is the case, isn't it unfair to punish those who don't feel that sort of stuff in their heart. This punishment being the idea of hell.

Also, do you follow leviticus and all of its teachings?

So it’s hard for me to comment on this, because my views are slightly different on this topic to most Christians, but if there are any other Christians on here would be great to hear your point of view! So I truly believe God is merciful, and will show mercy on the day of judgement to those with a good heart, so you may say, well why are you a Christian then? If you believe you can just be good and still receive Gods mercy? That’s because I LOVE the Lord, more than my mother, my father, my best friends, my boyfriend, my brother, and when you love someone, or something, so so greatly, you want to please them, you want to spend time with them and you want to be with them forever and ever.

And Leviticus is a chapter that needs a lot of context, to really understand Leviticus you have to understand the whole bible. I personally love what Leviticus teaches, which in essence is the importance on Jesus Christ (he came so we no longer had to make unpleasant sacrifices, he was the perfect lamb), and if anyone reading this wants to understand Leviticus a little better (as it’s a complicated chapter), this video is great! https://youtu.be/WmvyrLXoQio
(edited 4 years ago)
I am a Christian and would love to hear any questions or queries you may have 😁 I’m also interested to hear different perspectives and beliefs. And let’s keep this thread peaceful and respectful ☺️

what do u think of atheists?
Original post by Heathernchem
There’s one crucial error in your analogy, I assume you would be 100% certain that your ‘frenemy’ exists through empirical evidence - you have perhaps seen them talked to them and maybe made contact with them therefore leading you to the judgement that he/she exists.
Whereas there is NO evidence for the existence of a God

John 20:29 (NLT) Then Jesus told him, “You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.”
John 20:29 (NLT) Then Jesus told him, “You believe because you have seen me. Blessed are those who believe without seeing me.”

The Bible is the claim not the evidence
I addressed it neared the top which is think reflected perfectly my stance on it, but to summarise, I do believe it is a sin, as that’s what it says in the bible, BUT, I in absolutely no way judge anyone for it, I just personally wouldn’t partake in homosexual acts myself:smile:

Do you think it's right that being gay is a sin? I certainly do not, and if it turns out this god does exist there's no way in hell I'm praying to that homophobe.

(By the way, I'm not saying any of these things about you, I'm saying that if God thinks like that he's a homphobe who I do not want to pray to or 'accept as my saviour' or whatnot)
If you obey the commandments, and believe in your heart that Jesus is the son of God, the Lord will welcome you with open arms. Gods word is so important (the bible), the route to heaven isn’t an easy one... and so it shouldn’t be!! So certainly dive into Gods word, and he will guide you xx

How many of the commandments? That implies that you accept the Old Testament, or do you cherry-pick?

Why is belief without evidence necessary, or even wise?
Reply 70
top 3 christian speakers and why?

most annoying thing about christians?

which bible character do you relate to the most?
Who do you believe is your god?
(edited 4 years ago)
I am a Christian and would love to hear any questions or queries you may have

If / when you have children, would you need to be tortured, potentially to death, in order to forgive them for breaking rules that you made? Does that include the ones that you knew that they would break?

And let’s keep this thread peaceful and respectful ☺️

What's the Bible's stance on homosexuality again?
Original post by UGP1023
I have two question:

1.Do you believe in evolution? If yes, how? Since evolution and what the Bible says to be the beginning of earth are total opposites.

2. Why is god cruel to good people?

1) hi! No I don’t believe in evolution, where I do believe that the Big Bang theory is plausible, however believe we have simply found a fraction of the science behind Gods miraculous works and creation. However, I do not believe we came from monkeys and disagree with Darwin’s theory. I strongly believe the evidence is coming, it would be a while, but it’s coming, and people aren’t going to like it. ‘Using samples from five million animals including humans, they were able to deduce humans sprang from a single pair of adults following a catastrophic event that wiped out humanity.’ - https://www.irishpost.com/news/adam-eve-exist-proof-162201

2) a crazy broad question that I couldn’t answer in one reply! However This short video sums it up pretty well, there are lots of sermons on it on YouTube as well:smile: - https://youtu.be/QfNiI1-ASDo
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kurdistan1991
what do u think of atheists?

My mum and brother are atheists, I have nothing against them, everyone is entitled to their own opinion! The only thing is atheists can sometimes be a little ‘attacky’, not all, but most! I think the issue is many atheists think everyone but them are stupid and dumb for believing in what a lot of them call “fairy tales”! I know this because I was an atheist, despised religion, and i just though religious people were super dumb🤣
My mum and brother are atheists, I have nothing against them, everyone is entitled to their own opinion! The only thing is atheists can sometimes be a little ‘attacky’, not all, but most! I think the issue is many atheists think everyone but them are stupid and dumb for believing in what a lot of them call “fairy tales”! I know this because I was an atheist, despised religion, and i just though religious people were super dumb🤣

why believe in Christianity tho?
Original post by Coolfred
Do you think it's right that being gay is a sin? I certainly do not, and if it turns out this god does exist there's no way in hell I'm praying to that homophobe.

(By the way, I'm not saying any of these things about you, I'm saying that if God thinks like that he's a homphobe who I do not want to pray to or 'accept as my saviour' or whatnot)

I actually used to think just like you! I used to say “if God is real, he isn’t a God I’d want to be part of anyway. A Homophobic God? Let alone a God that can just let all the horrible things that have happened in my life happen!” And I said that with my CHEST. But soon I came to find the reason for this.

I am in no way homophobic, of course!, and I don’t believe God is either, because I can promise you now if I believe God has a smidgen of hatred of evil inside of him i would run for the hills, but I know this: God loves everyone, including these people, but God also loves his creation, and he wants his people to be fruitful and multiply. When the bible was written, they didn’t have the science we have now, where same sex couples CAN have children. I believe Gods intention was to preserve man kind. I do believe men and women and intended to be together, and the evidence for that is in our bodies, we fit like a jigsaw, however that is not to say we should tell others what they can and can’t do. At the end of the day, God loves everyone, and so should we!

There are many different types of atheists, and some of them act like you describe. The kind I am, am friends with, and watch on YouTube etc, only 'attack' (it's not really attacking) specific ones, for example:

1. Beliefs that harm people, e.g misogynistic, racist, homophobic, etc beliefs
2. Harmful misinformation, e.g 'carry on going to church during coronavirus, Jesus will save everyone'. Thinking that way will cost lives.
There's more, but that's what I think of first.

Then there are the 'super dumb' religious people. For example, religious people who have next to no understanding of evolution and try to convince others to believe what they think. It's the spreading misinformation that makes them super dumb, not simply having different beliefs.

I do consider the Bible to be fairy tales, since the only difference between it and literal fairy tales is the Bible's supposedly true. I don't judge people for believing them though, as long as it's not the dangerous things I mentioned. Plus, you said something very similar to that, but about gay being a sin but not judging, which is way worse than just calling the Bible fairy tales.
So it’s hard for me to comment on this, because my views are slightly different on this topic to most Christians, but if there are any other Christians on here would be great to hear your point of view! So I truly believe God is merciful, and will show mercy on the day of judgement to those with a good heart, so you may say, well why are you a Christian then? If you believe you can just be good and still receive Gods mercy? That’s because I LOVE the Lord, more than my mother, my father, my best friends, my boyfriend, my brother, and when you love someone, or something, so so greatly, you want to please them, you want to spend time with them and you want to be with them forever and ever.

And Leviticus is a chapter that needs a lot of context, to really understand Leviticus you have to understand the whole bible. I personally love what Leviticus teaches, which in essence is the importance on Jesus Christ (he came so we no longer had to make unpleasant sacrifices, he was the perfect lamb), and if anyone reading this wants to understand Leviticus a little better (as it’s a complicated chapter), this video is great! https://youtu.be/WmvyrLXoQio

So I don't need to be Christian to go heaven? That's good because I've never understood those that think it makes sense to have to believe in order to receive enlightenment.

And leviticus talks a load of rubbish about not eating owls and not wearing mixed fabrics. To be honest I would disregard the whole section.
1) hi! No I don’t believe in evolution, where I do believe that the Big Bang theory is plausible, however believe we have simply found a fraction of the science behind Gods miraculous works and creation. However, I do not believe we came from monkeys and disagree with Darwin’s theory. I strongly believe the evidence is coming, it would be a while, but it’s coming, and people aren’t going to like it. ‘Using samples from five million animals including humans, they were able to deduce humans sprang from a single pair of adults following a catastrophic event that wiped out humanity.’ - https://www.irishpost.com/news/adam-eve-exist-proof-162201

That link you posted completely misunderstood that study. Absolute nonsense. Either you were oblivious, in which case don't believe everything you read. Or you knew that and are dishonest. Either case you're what in my previous post called a 'super dumb' religious person. I didn't even mean that about you, but I've got to stick to my definitions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelmarshalleurope/2018/11/26/no-humans-are-probably-not-all-descended-from-a-single-couple-who-lived-200000-years-ago/#69f8cc3d7cd8

It's interesting how you don't believe in evolution but think the Big bang theory is plausible. Most Christians who believe something scientific seem to go the other way around.

Also, nobody believes we came from monkeys. Humans and modern day apes share the same ancestors. Please don't tell me you're one of the people who ask 'if we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?'.

I find it funny how when tons of scientific studies prove evolution you ignore them, but when one misinterpreted study seems to align with your beliefs (when it doesn't) you immediately decide that it pushes all of science out the window and it must be true.

What kind of 'evidence' is this evidence that's coming? And why would people not like it? (Oh of course, probably because you think scientists ignore evidence like a lot of religious people)
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending