The Student Room Group

Doing an EPQ on a topic about Shakespeare

So because of the quarantine, my school decided that instead of carrying on with GCSE work, we should start our EPQ. I want to do it on literature, maybe something like 'What influence did Shakespeare's work have on the world of literature?', which I thought would be quite good as it would let me talk about a wide range of ideas, and link it to works of other authors.
Is this a good idea? Also, any advice on how to successfully write an EPQ? Many thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by Veronika_14
So because of the quarantine, my school decided that instead of carrying on with GCSE work, we should start our EPQ. I want to do it on literature, maybe something like 'What influence did Shakespeare's work have on the world of literature?', which I thought would be quite good as it would let me talk about a wide range of ideas, and link it to works of other authors.
Is this a good idea? Also, any advice on how to successfully write an EPQ? Many thanks x

The EPQ tends to favour students who look at a narrow topic in great detail, rather than a broader approach. Definitely go for a question that broad if you're up for it, but know that it will involve a lot more research and will likely not yield higher marks as a result.

We were told that the best EQP questions were the ones that found a niche topic to explore in great detail. I'd maybe think about ways of making the question more specific and targeted on a smaller topic area, such as "Shakespeare's influence on comedic literature" or "on 21st century literature" or something like that to make the subject area less broad.

I was originally going to make my question "How significant are the risks of artificial intelligence?" but I quickly found that it was far to broad and open-ended, so I focussed it down to a specific topic - ""How significant are the risks of using artificial intelligence in criminal justice?"

One other thing to be aware of - I assume you're planning to take english lit at A-level. Watch out because you can't use any of your A-level studies in your EPQ. It's called 'duel accreditation'. Like, if you studied politics and were doing an EPQ on electoral systems or something, you'd run into issues because it overlaps with the A-level course. You have to either steer clear of the content completely or take it to a level beyond that of A-level. Idk how that applies to English but it' something to be aware of
Reply 2
Wow okay thank you, I’ll definitely keep that in mind!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending