The Student Room Group

Ask Me Anything about Studying Dentistry!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by NanaAma02
What’s an NAIF and what’s the teaching style like at Manchester- is it self study/PBL mostly or more lecture based

Non academic information form. Only Manchester asks you to fill it in. It's basically another factor they'll consider on whether to give you an interview/offer or not.

Teaching style is called EBL, self taught then consolidated with a weekly symposia (collection of lectures in one go). We have clincial seminars and practice weekly (increases as you go into higher years) as well.
Reply 181
Original post by lhh2003
Should I do it for a job that guarantees high pay even if im not passionate about it \/

No, you'll regret doing it for the money when that high salary becomes your standard of living. Eg, with a higher salary, you'll have a bigger house, higher mortgage, go on more holidays etc. Then youll soon realise that you work for the same things (and same time, just more stress) as you did when you were on a lower salary, just a higher quality of it. Its at this point, you'll hate yourself for choosing the job you hate.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 182
IMG-20200629-WA0006-compressed.jpg.jpeg

https://zoom.us/j/98884380440

If any undergraduate Dental student wants to be there.

@Vian
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by NanaAma02
Which dental school do you attend?

Hi, I haven’t started dental school yet but I’ve firmed Bristol and Insured Cardiff for 2020 entry. :smile:
What do you think of maxfax as a speciality? Also, are any of your fellow dental classmates considering it in the future?
Reply 185
Original post by fatimax02
What do you think of maxfax as a speciality? Also, are any of your fellow dental classmates considering it in the future?

I know of 1 student who's considering max fax in my cohort.

Max fax is something which I deeply admire as a profession, but not something I'm aiming for. I feel as though it requires an incredible amount of passion and determination, not to mention the academic and manual ability, to reach the goal as a max fax. I don't have enough passion for it, which means it's not for me. The job description interests me, but the lifestyle it demands doesn't. The irregular hours, the 18 years total training time etc. But if someone is fixated on doing max fax, they should and I'll cheer them on the entire way. It requires 1000% commitment as there can't even be a little part of you who dislikes max fax for you to pursue it. Its obvious to say as a final statement, no max fax ever does it for the money, nor should they. There are plenty of professions which pay more and don't have an unearthly rota and training time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by scarletdental19
Hi, I haven’t started dental school yet but I’ve firmed Bristol and Insured Cardiff for 2020 entry. :smile:

Congrats. What made you choose Bristol over the others
Reply 187
is there a dress code when attending classes and clinic?
i really want to get into cardiff for dental but i am so scared i wont get in, any helpd?
Reply 189
Original post by Fakz
is there a dress code when attending classes and clinic?

Not for classes, but we wear a dentist tunic (if treating patients) or a lab coat (if practicing on plastic teeth) during clinics.
Reply 190
Original post by leilazharmenova
i really want to get into cardiff for dental but i am so scared i wont get in, any helpd?

Just improve your application to the best of your ability. Send it off and pray for the best. Nothing more you can do lol. Make sure you meet the requirements as well.
@Nuttyy
What MacBook model do you recommend for Dental students?
Reply 192
Original post by ITS2019
@Nuttyy
What MacBook model do you recommend for Dental students?

Dont have a macbook so idk lol. I have an ipad pro with the apple pen which works well for me. Ive started to write my notes on paper so I dont need a laptop. I have an old HP laptop which can just about run Word or PowerPoint, so I don't need a high end laptop.
Reply 193
Does anyone use loupes while learning or is it something you'd use when you start working on patients in clinic?
Reply 194
Original post by Fakz
Does anyone use loupes while learning or is it something you'd use when you start working on patients in clinic?

Most people don't even get loupes by the time they graduate. I've seen a few 5th yrs using them while treating patients, but it's generally not advisable to use loupes early on while training, as it will result in you becoming dependent upon them. For eg, if you learn to drive on a manual car, you'll be able to drive both manual and automatic, not the other way around though.

Personally, I might consider getting them in 5th Yr, or for fdt Yr.
Hello so basically I really want to apply for dentistry next year. My predicated grades are ABB right now but I can get it to AAB before getting it sent off. However AAB still doesnt meet the requirments. I meet every other requirment but its just my predicted grades.

What are the possible paths I could take or any solutions?

Thanks
Reply 196
Original post by Josh burns
Hello so basically I really want to apply for dentistry next year. My predicated grades are ABB right now but I can get it to AAB before getting it sent off. However AAB still doesnt meet the requirments. I meet every other requirment but its just my predicted grades.

What are the possible paths I could take or any solutions?

Thanks

Best solution is to beg your teachers and let them know of the consequences of you not having 3 As as predicted. Without the necessary predicted grades, unis will outright reject you. They'll look for any excuse possible to rule you out. I met all the GSCE and A level requirements for Birmingham, except 1: I didn't get an A* in GCSE chemistry, I got an A.. They rejected me for that 😅 even though I was predicted an A for a levels.

Absolute worst comes and your teacher refuses to increase your predicted grades, then what you can do is still apply, if you get an offer you're lucky, if not then smash your A levels and re apply again with your grades. In that year, make your application as strong as possible.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nuttyy
Best solution is to beg your teachers and let them know of the consequences of you not having 3 As as predicted. Without the necessary predicted grades, unis will outright reject you. They'll look for any excuse possible to rule you out. I met all the GSCE and A level requirements for Birmingham, except 1: I didn't get an A* in GCSE chemistry, I got an A.. They rejected me for that 😅 even though I was predicted an A for a levels.

Damn my schools a gammar school and they are toooo strict when it comes to grades so theres no hope there.

Is there any other routes into dentistry?
Reply 198
Original post by Josh burns
Damn my schools a gammar school and they are toooo strict when it comes to grades so theres no hope there.

Is there any other routes into dentistry?

Just edited my post, have a read
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nuttyy
Just edited my post, have a read

thanks a lot thats my plan now

Quick Reply

Latest