The Student Room Group

Ask Me Anything about Studying Dentistry!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ITS2019
1) Do you have any advice for people about to start the course / Things you wish you had done?
2) How many hours of revision do you do per week?
3) How does the difficulty of the course compare to A levels?
4) What is the most stressful thing about the course?
5) How do assessments work in the course?
Thanks 😄

1) nope, course is designed so everyone can start on a 0 knowledge bases. Enjoy your holiday.

2) lool, 1? 2? None sometimes. I'm a crammer, I do my revision in bulk during Christmas and Easter holidays.

3) very easy so far compared to a levels. Content is harder obv, but less stress.

4) nothing to much as of yet, probably treating patients as a rookie

5) different for every uni
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by blanc000
do you know anyone on your course or dentists who didn't do biology as I do maths chem and economics and might be interested in doing it. I've got a lot of work experience and stuff and can get predicted A*AA or A*A*A if I work comfortably

Not sure. But if a unis requirements asks for it, then you need it, if not, you can get in without it. Simple as that really.

Worst comes, you can apply for the foundation Yr course, which builds up the fundamentals before you start the course. But call up the admissions office beforehand to make sure you are/aren't eligible for the normal course.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 22
Do lectures/ professors expect you to remember the stuff you learnt in Chemistry and Biology from A levels?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by jxdx
Do lectures/ professors expect you to remember the stuff you learnt in Chemistry and Biology from A levels?
Thank you :smile:

Kinda, I've heard the phrase "some might have done this in a levels" used a fair bit. But they teach it so a person with no prior knowledge can get up to speed on it also.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 24
It's something you practice and develop over time at Uni. After 6 months off uni, I'm sure it'll have taken a hit lol. Will take a while for it to get back to what it used to be.
Reply 25
Do you know if Sheffield has a bigger workload than Liverpool for dentistry?

Is it just Manchester which is incredibly chilled out or is the same for most dental schools?

Tryna choose which one to firm out of Sheffield and Liverpool. Any advice?
Reply 26
Original post by hwpo1
Do you know if Sheffield has a bigger workload than Liverpool for dentistry?

Is it just Manchester which is incredibly chilled out or is the same for most dental schools?

Tryna choose which one to firm out of Sheffield and Liverpool. Any advice?

All dental courses cover exactly the same topics eventually. The syllabus is given by the GDC to the unis, who then form a course around it and then quality inspected by GDC . It really doesn't matter where you go, everyone gets a BDS and a name on the GDC register at the end of it.

Choose the uni most convinient to you and appeals best in terms of living there.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 27
Thanks. But exams are open book online exams lool. We're getting a week to do them on and off the computer. They've discounted this year in weighting for our final 5th Yr grade, but I still need to get 50% to go into 3rd Yr.
Reply 28
How do you revise for exams @Nuttyy #
What is ur quarantine routine
how do u stay motivated to revise etc
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by zzz010
How do you revise for exams @Nuttyy #
What is ur quarantine routine
how do u stay motivated to revise etc

I cram an entire semester within 3 weeks. So I revise Sept- Dec material in Christmas holidays, and Jan-April in Easter holidays. Then exams..

Quarantine and routine are an oxymoron for me lmaoo. I wake up at 12, sleep at 2am.

I'm not gonna revise for this yrs final exams. Don't need to as my exams are open book and I have a week to do them on and off the comp lol.

I'm going to learn the relevant things needed as a dentist, other than that I'll ignore the useless stuff
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Nuttyy
I cram an entire semester within 3 weeks. So I revise Sept- Dec material in Christmas holidays, and Jan-April in Easter holidays. Then exams..

Quarantine and routine are an oxymoron for me lmaoo. I wake up at 12, sleep at 2am.

I'm not gonna revise for this yrs final exams. Don't need to as my exams are open book and I have a week to do them on and off the comp lol.

I'm going to learn the relevant things needed as a dentist, other than that I'll ignore the useless stuff

less work than me wow lucky
Reply 31
Original post by zzz010
less work than me wow lucky

I mean that's revision, the clinics side to the course is ongoing thoughout. That can be quite stressful at times when things don't go your way (which they often don't).

In terms of exams, I spent a lot less times on my first Yr uni exams than I did for A levels lol.
Original post by Nuttyy
I mean that's revision, the clinics side to the course is ongoing thoughout. That can be quite stressful at times when things don't go your way (which they often don't).

In terms of exams, I spent a lot less times on my first Yr uni exams than I did for A levels lol.

It’s interesting that you’ve said this, I always imagined 1st year of university being a big step up from A levels.
Hey nuttyy!
What did you get in your ucat?
How long did you spend revising for it?
Would you say worrying should be involved?
I dunno why I’m such a worrier about the ucat :s-smilie:
Also are you having fun at uni?:biggrin:
Reply 34
Original post by ArtmisKco
Hey nuttyy!
What did you get in your ucat?
How long did you spend revising for it?
Would you say worrying should be involved?
I dunno why I’m such a worrier about the ucat :s-smilie:
Also are you having fun at uni?:biggrin:

I got 612 n B2 for UKCAT
Lool less than a week, n my score reflected it.
No point worrying, but time should be spent on it. Some unis rely on it a lot more than others though (Sheffield cares a lot, Manchester doesn't)
Yep loving the course!
is it essential to have a grade 6 in English language as I got a 5 and was planning to retake in July however due to corona, the retakes were cancelled so I'm really stuck rn and I don't know what to do.
What are the a level subject requirements ?
Original post by Jesscruzx
What are the a level subject requirements ?

Depends on the uni, some require both Biology and Chemistry meanwhile some are okay with any two sciences.
Doing Biology and Chemistry will keep your options open to all dentistry courses :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Harish2002
is it essential to have a grade 6 in English language as I got a 5 and was planning to retake in July however due to corona, the retakes were cancelled so I'm really stuck rn and I don't know what to do.

Check the unis entry requirements. If it says they want it, they'll want it. Unis will use any excuse to filter you out as they have 100s (manc had over 1000 last Yr!) of applicants and they have to be ruthless.
rate Manchester uni from 1-10 (1 being the lowest), and why.

Quick Reply

Latest