The Student Room Group

Is love supposed to be transactional?

My boyfriend got upset because i wanted him to try some skincare products and clearly he didn’t want to and felt like i was trying to control his life. Long story short he ‘submitted’ and said he’d buy them when he’s paid.

Today i tried to show him some new products i wanted him to buy and asked what he thought about it, he said he’ll see when he tries them. I tried to ask him how they look and he gave blunt replies. I then expressed how i don’t feel like he cares about what i’m saying sometimes because he didn’t even ask about the skincare and i’m was just trying to show him some cool products i think can help him. He said he doesn’t have the same interest in skincare but it doesn’t mean he doesn’t care, and that he’ll buy them and try them when they come.

He then says ‘what questions have you asked about my interests though?’ and i said that feels really transactional. I do care but it’s besides the point, why must he feel important in order to show this same love and care to me? It just feels like that often too - if i say ‘sometimes i feel unloved by you’ , he’s most likely just reply ‘same’.

I’m not sure if i’m right here or what. Why should i justify all the times i’ve cared about his life in order for him to care about my interest. Or is this fair, and i’m being selfish thinking that he shouldn’t be able to ask the same question back? I don’t know how to describe it but it just feels love stingy to me.

He is like this with apologies too. Most of the time but not always, he wouldn’t admit he’s wrong until i have. Something i’ve learnt to accept because i love him.
Love isn't supposed to be transactional, but it's also not supposed to be one-sided. Also, your boyfriend clearly doesn't care about skincare - maybe just accept that? He doesn't have to care about everything you care about.
Are you sure you two even love each other? Seems like if one of you don't start loving then the other wont either...
Reply 3
Original post by Knortfoxx
Love isn't supposed to be transactional, but it's also not supposed to be one-sided. Also, your boyfriend clearly doesn't care about skincare - maybe just accept that? He doesn't have to care about everything you care about.

i’ve accepted that, i’ve also apologised and asked to move on. He said

It’s not bringing it up, cos idm, I looked at what u sent, it’s the acting like I don’t care, I’m busy at work. You know this... , and it’s not I don’t want to discuss it either , it’s that I know nothing yet, a discussion will happen when I open it at my house and try it, and talk to you about it, but ofc you’re gunna think I don’t care when you bring it up so often when I’ve said this is when I’ll get some. Yeah Ok love you too”

He doesn’t understand my main issue is with his tendency to make things transactional.
Original post by Anonymous
i’ve accepted that, i’ve also apologised and asked to move on. He said

It’s not bringing it up, cos idm, I looked at what u sent, it’s the acting like I don’t care, I’m busy at work. You know this... , and it’s not I don’t want to discuss it either , it’s that I know nothing yet, a discussion will happen when I open it at my house and try it, and talk to you about it, but ofc you’re gunna think I don’t care when you bring it up so often when I’ve said this is when I’ll get some. Yeah Ok love you too”

He doesn’t understand my main issue is with his tendency to make things transactional.

Then tell him that's your main issue. It's also possible that he isn't trying to make things transactional and you're misunderstanding.
Reply 5
Then tell him that's your main issue. It's also possible that he isn't trying to make things transactional and you're misunderstanding.

and i did and he said
It’s not transactional for me, I just don’t like to be constantly told how I need to act when I’m not even happy about things myself, despite voicing them . It frustrates me to hear u tell me I don’t care . I know you try , I not claim you don’t, but there are times you don’t, just as I.

How do i reply to this ?? and also i’ve apologised but i don’t think i’m getting an apology. Is that fair in this situation and i am the one wrong or would that be unfair too?
and i did and he said
It’s not transactional for me, I just don’t like to be constantly told how I need to act when I’m not even happy about things myself, despite voicing them . It frustrates me to hear u tell me I don’t care . I know you try , I not claim you don’t, but there are times you don’t, just as I.

How do i reply to this ?? and also i’ve apologised but i don’t think i’m getting an apology. Is that fair in this situation and i am the one wrong or would that be unfair too?

If he doesn't think he did anything wrong, he won't (and shouldn't) apologise. You should have a conversation with him without trying to read into everything.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
If he doesn't think he did anything wrong, he won't (and shouldn't) apologise. You should have a conversation with him without trying to read into everything.

so i’m just meant to move on? without some acknowledgement ???

How has this relationship been for you?
(edited 4 years ago)

acknowledgement of what?
Are you happy in this relationship? :confused:
It doesn't sound like the two of you are having much fun or many positive conversations.
Back at the starting point. If you wanted him to try some skin care products, you could have just bought him some and let him try them in his own time. You tried to get him to buy stuff? Not MLM marketing is it. Not a product you're trying to sell is it?
Original post by londonmyst
Are you happy in this relationship? :confused:
It doesn't sound like the two of you are having much fun or many positive conversations.

We do have positive conversations? I’m talking about a conversation today. All couples argue and we try to get past ours, we both try to change our toxic behaviours...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending