The Student Room Group

Over-18 dependent evidence rejected

We received this email:

Your dependents

When you gave information for your student finance application you told us you have a dependent who is over the age of 18 and not in full time education. We cannot accept the evidence received as we would need to see regular payments in to show support being provided.

What you need to do

Send photocopies of any evidence, such as bank statements showing financial support

We had sent a copy of our son's bank statement and a covering letter explaining that he has casual part time employment, his income from this is low, he lives with us, so we continue to cover the cost of food, household bills, transportation etc. just as we did when he was under 18.

Do we have to show that we give him money - which we could start doing but he would have to send it straight back to us as all the household bills are in our name? This doesn't make a lot of sense to us. If that's how it works is there a set amount we are supposed to give and how frequently?

I was mid discussion with someone on another thread about this but I keep getting an error message when I try to reply.
Hi greenish-wailing,

To prove financial dependency we usually need to see bank statements with transactions showing that your son relies on you financially. There is not a set amount, it will be reviewed by an assessor on a case by case basis.

Thanks,
Calum
Original post by greenish-wailing
We received this email:

Your dependents

When you gave information for your student finance application you told us you have a dependent who is over the age of 18 and not in full time education. We cannot accept the evidence received as we would need to see regular payments in to show support being provided.

What you need to do

Send photocopies of any evidence, such as bank statements showing financial support

We had sent a copy of our son's bank statement and a covering letter explaining that he has casual part time employment, his income from this is low, he lives with us, so we continue to cover the cost of food, household bills, transportation etc. just as we did when he was under 18.

Do we have to show that we give him money - which we could start doing but he would have to send it straight back to us as all the household bills are in our name? This doesn't make a lot of sense to us. If that's how it works is there a set amount we are supposed to give and how frequently?

I was mid discussion with someone on another thread about this but I keep getting an error message when I try to reply.

Hi there,

We would ask for your bank statements showing how you still support them. This can be for paying utilities, food, phone bills or transferring them money from your account. This can then be uploaded from your online account.

Thanks, Drew
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

We would ask for your bank statements showing how you still support them. This can be for paying utilities, food, phone bills or transferring them money from your account. This can then be uploaded from your online account.

Thanks, Drew

Ok thanks I have done this - hopefully this is finally resolved. I think there needs to be clearer guidance / understanding from sfe on this. I know that student loan recipients with dependents over 18 are in the minority but we still exist and our lives are complicated enough as it is. It seems ironic that if it were him applying for a loan, the system automatically says he is financially dependent on us...
Original post by greenish-wailing
Ok thanks I have done this - hopefully this is finally resolved. I think there needs to be clearer guidance / understanding from sfe on this. I know that student loan recipients with dependents over 18 are in the minority but we still exist and our lives are complicated enough as it is. It seems ironic that if it were him applying for a loan, the system automatically says he is financially dependent on us...

Hi there,

Thanks for your response and I'll feed this back. Any further questions then do let us know. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending