The Student Room Group
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GANFYD
How many med school exams have you sat at SGUL? And how many at other unis to allow for direct comparison?
SGUL is above UCL and Kings for student satisfaction for medicine.
The GMC are satisfied with the quality of the medical education provided, or they would not accredit the med school
SGUL perform above Barts, Kings, Imperial and Cambridge in terms of how prepared its graduates feel for their F1 year and they perform better than the national average in medics postgrad exams

also where did you find that SGUL is above UCL and Kings for student satisfaction for medicine? I'm v interested cos I have seen otherwise.
additionally, where did you find that SGUL perform better than Barts, Kings and Imperial
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London
Reply 61
Original post by chano
also where did you find that SGUL is above UCL and Kings for student satisfaction for medicine? I'm v interested cos I have seen otherwise.
additionally, where did you find that SGUL perform better than Barts, Kings and Imperial

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/medicine

The other stats are from the GMC annual survey of med school graduates
Original post by GANFYD

you're going quite a long way and spending a long time to defend st Georges. chill out man. who cares what other people think? they're irrelevant to your life.
Reply 63
Original post by Anonymous
you're going quite a long way and spending a long time to defend st Georges. chill out man. who cares what other people think? they're irrelevant to your life.

How bizarre! I am just giving the source for my stats when requested - good scientific practice.

I am not defending anywhere (London med schools are the 10th circle of hell as far as I am concerned). I am just providing evidence for other people to make up their minds, as it may be important to them and they deserve all the facts to be able to come to a conclusion
Hey guys,

Whatever your opinion, I think it's important to be kind and respectful to everybody on this thread - I personally just wanted to put my opinion across but I'm not invalidating or disputing that somebody else's experience might not have been as good as mine - ultimately this is a public forum where people can say whatever they want about anything and that's okay. Thanks to @GANFYD for putting some stats in, and thanks to everybody who's shared their experience of George's. Whenever you're considering what uni to attend it's important to assess all sides of it and I think with every uni there's going to be some people who've had incredibly positive experiences and some people who've had more negative experiences. Take everything you read that isn't factual with a pinch of salt, compare it alongside the facts, and I'm sure you'll find the university that's right for you.

Best Wishes,
Lauren
2nd Year Biomedical Science Student
SGUL Official Rep
Original post by GANFYD

LOOOOOOOOL St George's is 33/34 for overall score - a holistic view so imo a better indicator
the student satisfaction is better than Kings, UCL and Cambridge but you've got to remember our student body is considerably smaller (with about 150 in the 1st yr of med - and people drop out as you go through the years)
Original post by GANFYD
How bizarre! I am just giving the source for my stats when requested - good scientific practice.

I am not defending anywhere (London med schools are the 10th circle of hell as far as I am concerned). I am just providing evidence for other people to make up their minds, as it may be important to them and they deserve all the facts to be able to come to a conclusion

Also I hope you don't mind me asking: are you a med student, if so where? or, are you a prospective med student, and if so where will you be applying?
Reply 67
Original post by chano
LOOOOOOOOL St George's is 33/34 for overall score - a holistic view so imo a better indicator
the student satisfaction is better than Kings, UCL and Cambridge but you've got to remember our student body is considerably smaller (with about 150 in the 1st yr of med - and people drop out as you go through the years)

All "official" med school rankings are useless as the only worthwhile piece of information they contain is student satisfaction.
I am a doctor who also works with admissions
Original post by chano
Also I hope you don't mind me asking: are you a med student, if so where? or, are you a prospective med student, and if so where will you be applying?

🤣 GANFYD is a doctor (if I’m not wrong!)
Herself and ecolier are very helpful and informative when it comes to answering queries for med applicants!!!
Original post by med123456^^
Herself and ecolier are very helpful and informative when it comes to answering queries for med applicants!!!

yes !!!!!!
GANFYD and ecolier have helped me a lot and are willing to answer questions from any med applicants , no matter what walk of life they come from :biggrin:
Reply 70
Original post by med123456^^

You are not wrong! Thank you :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
All "official" med school rankings are useless as the only worthwhile piece of information they contain is student satisfaction.

are you being serious LOOOOOL
you're a doctor and you're arguing on this thread about student satisfaction at george's and what I know

if you are a doctor, I doubt this thread has any relevance to you, as its for prospective students (correct me if I'm wrong)

Relative to other med schools, the holistic score for st Georges isn't great (33/34), but everyone can see that for themselves. Also, important to note, that whilst the student satisfaction for Cambridge, Kings and UCL is worse than SGUL, they aren't too far off.

As a current student, I can tell you, this uni is bad. I can speak on behalf of about 30 people, which is about 10% of my cohort (med+biomed).
Take that as you wish.

Also, I'm sure all prospective students that are thinking of applying to medicine or st Georges will have the intelligence to use everyone's opinions to make up their own mind. (the uni reps are the uni reps for a reason)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD

this whole time I thought I'd offended you smh
Reply 73
Original post by chano
are you being serious LOOOOOL
you're a doctor and you're arguing on this thread about student satisfaction at george's and what I know

if you are a doctor, I doubt this thread has any relevance to you, as its for prospective students.

Relative to other med schools, the holistic score for st Georges isn't great (33/34), but everyone can see that for themselves. Also, important to note, that whilst the student satisfaction for Cambridge, Kings and UCL is worse than SGUL, they aren't too far off.

As a current student, I can tell you, this uni is bad. I can speak on behalf of about 30 people, which is about 10% of my cohort (med+biomed).
Take that as you wish.

Also, I'm sure all prospective students that are thinking of applying to medicine or st Georges will have the intelligence to use everyone's opinions to make up their own mind. (the uni reps are the uni reps for a reason)

I am not doubting your experience in any way and have never argued that your experience is not what you say it is.

I am just posting some facts, rather than opinions, for people to use when weighing up all the evidence.

Why are doctors not allowed to post in this thread (or any other)? We have relevant information and experience and many of us have been advising prospective (and current) med students for years.

As I say, league tables are useless, except for possibly student satisfaction and even that, as a point ranking, is not worth a lot, as very small issues can cause big swings. It is more about those that are consistently at the bottom, (ie Kings). Those in the middle are all pretty close together, as you say. According to Unistats, 91% of people (86% of the course responded to the survey) are satisfied with the course at SGUL for medicine, so you may well have some selection bias in your own representative cohort!

Cambridge gets 80%, Kings 81%, UCL 87%, Barts 90%, Imperial 92%, Manchester 63%, Newcastle 91%, Aberdeen 93%, Birmingham 92% just for some random scores. So SGUL holds up pretty well, really and is up there with the best.

https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10007782/UTBMED5/Full-time/

This does not mean you have not had a miserable experience, but it does show that at least 78% of people on the A100 course disagree with you!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by chano
this whole time I thought I'd offended you smh

Why would you offend me? You are entitled to your opinion and experience.
But I feel personal experiences and opinions should be balanced by facts and stats, where possible, so people have a balanced view of a situation.

I would not chose to eat (or not) at a particular restaurant, or start/stop wearing a particular brand of clothing just because a random stranger expressed an opinion on the internet. I might be swayed by validated surveys and comparable stats with other similar organisations.
@GANFYD

I am not saying that you aren't allowed to post on this thread, but I would assume as a doctor you would have more urgent issues to attend to instead of replying relentlessly on this thread. (your replies make up the majority)

Your point is that people should look at controlled surveys as well as listening to opinions online - we were all aware and I am sure that prospective students already know to do this.

I assumed I'd offended you in some way by the way you were defending St George's and student survey's with so much chest and passion, but if not, then we're good.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by chano
@GANFYD

I assumed I'd offended you in some way by the way you were defending St George's and student survey's with so much chest and passion, but if not, then we're good.

I am glad about that, as your approval rating is important to me :tongue:

I spend my day dealing with urgent issues and work-life balance is even more important in the current uncertainty, so I relax by doing my bit to keep information on TSR medicine forum balanced (where possible).

Latest

Trending

Trending