The Student Room Group

Is University worth it?

[video="youtube;a0wITivXtw4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0wITivXtw4[/video]Hi guys, I've just uploaded a video on my perspective of university and whether it's worth it or not. If anyone is considering applying, it might be a good watch :smile:

Also interested to see if anyone thinks university is worth it or not?
Original post by Maxtalks
[video="youtube;a0wITivXtw4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0wITivXtw4[/video]Hi guys, I've just uploaded a video on my perspective of university and whether it's worth it or not. If anyone is considering applying, it might be a good watch :smile:

Also interested to see if anyone thinks university is worth it or not?

I think this is such an interesting topic to debate so I’d just like to give my personal opinion.
I think that it really depends on the circumstances and individual. I feel if someone has a career in mind and they know they need to get a degree in order to get to the career then it is absolutely worth it as it will take them a step closer to their dream career. However, I don’t think university is worth it for the sake of just getting a degree because too many young people are being pressured to go to university by teachers at sixth form/school/college straight away without knowing what they want or whether they’re ready for that level of learning and 3 years of commitment. Too many individuals think getting a degree will automatically get them a good job which in some cases it might and they will be more likely to be picked for interviews in specific job advertisements but alternatives or plenty of job experience is often overlooked because these days everyone thinks they should go to university for the sake of it.
I also think that there are too many degrees that aren’t worth the costs because they’re not exactly leading to high paid specific career paths. Another thing to add is that I do understand people may go to university and get a random degree and end up with a good paying job but that is also similar to the fact that someone could not go to university and end up with a high paid job too.
Would just like to emphasise this is my personal opinion from my own experience as I was under so much pressure to go to university by my college tutors because I was getting good grades and got to a point where I accepted my offer because I applied for a course that seemed relatively interesting for the sake of it as I was too worried about being looked at as a failure and keeping up with everyone else going to uni on top of pressure from tutors. I got to 3 months before starting where I realised that I’m only doing it for the sake of going if I was to go and it would be a waste of a loan knowing full well that I don’t have confident plans on a career I’m wanting. I’m not in a much mature mental state where I accept I am able to go to university at any time in my life and will go (I’m not opposed the idea of uni) if I do need to in order to get myself to a career I want.
Original post by Anonymous
I think this is such an interesting topic to debate so I’d just like to give my personal opinion.
I think that it really depends on the circumstances and individual. I feel if someone has a career in mind and they know they need to get a degree in order to get to the career then it is absolutely worth it as it will take them a step closer to their dream career. However, I don’t think university is worth it for the sake of just getting a degree because too many young people are being pressured to go to university by teachers at sixth form/school/college straight away without knowing what they want or whether they’re ready for that level of learning and 3 years of commitment. Too many individuals think getting a degree will automatically get them a good job which in some cases it might and they will be more likely to be picked for interviews in specific job advertisements but alternatives or plenty of job experience is often overlooked because these days everyone thinks they should go to university for the sake of it.
I also think that there are too many degrees that aren’t worth the costs because they’re not exactly leading to high paid specific career paths. Another thing to add is that I do understand people may go to university and get a random degree and end up with a good paying job but that is also similar to the fact that someone could not go to university and end up with a high paid job too.
Would just like to emphasise this is my personal opinion from my own experience as I was under so much pressure to go to university by my college tutors because I was getting good grades and got to a point where I accepted my offer because I applied for a course that seemed relatively interesting for the sake of it as I was too worried about being looked at as a failure and keeping up with everyone else going to uni on top of pressure from tutors. I got to 3 months before starting where I realised that I’m only doing it for the sake of going if I was to go and it would be a waste of a loan knowing full well that I don’t have confident plans on a career I’m wanting. I’m not in a much mature mental state where I accept I am able to go to university at any time in my life and will go (I’m not opposed the idea of uni) if I do need to in order to get myself to a career I want.

I am now in a much maturer mental state*
(Sorry for the mistake)
ngl I don't like it when YouTubers use TSR to promote their content, but at least this is relevant

brilliant comment. tbh sick of all of the current 18-year-olds saying "ahh I need to go to uni ASAP I don't wanna graduate a year too late!!"
Original post by 1st superstar
brilliant comment. tbh sick of all of the current 18-year-olds saying "ahh I need to go to uni ASAP I don't wanna graduate a year too late!!"

I completely agree with you. Too much pressure and stigma on university being the only way after finishing college/sixth form! I’m 19 and it took a lot of stress and countless conversations with my friends and family to get to a point where I’m able to look at this topic and realise everyone does life differently and at their own pace. No one is behind and no one is in front because everyone is different. I think it’s important that people coming out of college or sixth form are able to get a fair view rather than being told they should go to university and be told it’s okay not to go immediately in life or not at all if they don’t want to. I think people should also realise that it is okay not to know exactly what career they want. It’s really sad that most educational institutions just care about the percentage of their cohort going to university rather than their students’ wellbeing.
I completely agree with you. Too much pressure and stigma on university being the only way after finishing college/sixth form! I’m 19 and it took a lot of stress and countless conversations with my friends and family to get to a point where I’m able to look at this topic and realise everyone does life differently and at their own pace. No one is behind and no one is in front because everyone is different. I think it’s important that people coming out of college or sixth form are able to get a fair view rather than being told they should go to university and be told it’s okay not to go immediately in life or not at all if they don’t want to. I think people should also realise that it is okay not to know exactly what career they want. It’s really sad that most educational institutions just care about the percentage of their cohort going to university rather than their students’ wellbeing.

agreed either school's are pro-uni (most of them are like my current school), or pro-apprenticeship (like my old school) schools are never in the middle... it's sad

I think that in the UK schools are too obsessed with teachers shoving down pupils throats: Think about your future, Think about your future before the person even urns 18 or it's this: Do GCSEs, Do A-levels, Go to uni...
agreed either school's are pro-uni (most of them are like my current school), or pro-apprenticeship (like my old school) schools are never in the middle... it's sad

It really is, people need to do whatever is right for themselves even if it doesn’t fit into societies “norms.” A lot of people forget university is a choice, it isn’t the end of the world if someone decides to go into full time work or an apprenticeship because they prefer learning and earning on the job as oppose to sitting in a classroom learning through lectures and would rather try to work their way up the ladder through experience than studying. I’m glad that this debate is being had more and more often!
It really is, people need to do whatever is right for themselves even if it doesn’t fit into societies “norms.” A lot of people forget university is a choice, it isn’t the end of the world if someone decides to go into full time work or an apprenticeship because they prefer learning and earning on the job as oppose to sitting in a classroom learning through lectures and would rather try to work their way up the ladder through experience than studying. I’m glad that this debate is being had more and more often!

agreed
Reply 10

This is exactly why I made the video to try and raise the awareness on a public platform, I agree with you entirely and my video essentially goes through your exact points!! Too many people go to university for the sake of it!!
Reply 11
ngl I don't like it when YouTubers use TSR to promote their content, but at least this is relevant

I wanted to reach students to try and help them to make decisions and I thought this was a perfect resource. I agree with you that sometimes content isn't relevant and is just dumped here in an attempt to get views etc. But this is exactly the audience I'm trying to target, to help people with my videos in getting jobs, making decisions etc :smile:
Reply 12

I think schools and colleges always are pressured in to having numbers of outcomes like X number of pupils went to this or that university. They focus on numbers of outcomes rather than getting the right quality outcome for students and this is something I think needs to change
This is exactly why I made the video to try and raise the awareness on a public platform, I agree with you entirely and my video essentially goes through your exact points!! Too many people go to university for the sake of it!!

I am happy you’re trying to raise awareness because I was once someone who was looking for reasonable advice that would make me feel like my decisions weren’t going to set me up for failure if I didn’t go to university straight away after college. I completely agree with your video, people need to go university if they feel they have a career in mind or for valid reasons other than going for the sake of it and to pass 3 years of their life because they don’t want to look at alternatives. In 3 years someone could make a lot of money and gain valuable job experience to figure out what career they want than sitting in lectures knowing full well they don’t want to be there or are just there because they felt it was the only option!
Reply 14
I am happy you’re trying to raise awareness because I was once someone who was looking for reasonable advice that would make me feel like my decisions weren’t going to set me up for failure if I didn’t go to university straight away after college. I completely agree with your video, people need to go university if they feel they have a career in mind or for valid reasons other than going for the sake of it and to pass 3 years of their life because they don’t want to look at alternatives. In 3 years someone could make a lot of money and gain valuable job experience to figure out what career they want than sitting in lectures knowing full well they don’t want to be there or are just there because they felt it was the only option!

Yes, I wish someone told me that before I went to university, everyone who discussed university with me at school or came to talk about it was saying how amazing it was etc and the honest truth and value was never presented to us!
Yes, I wish someone told me that before I went to university, everyone who discussed university with me at school or came to talk about it was saying how amazing it was etc and the honest truth and value was never presented to us!

Exactly, all they care about is money because they’re businesses. Majority of them just want the numbers and ever student is another percent to their record!
Exactly, all they care about is money because they’re businesses. Majority of them just want the numbers and ever student is another percent to their record!

How is someone supposed to be a doctor or a lawyer or an accountant without a degree?
Original post by TheStarboy
How is someone supposed to be a doctor or a lawyer or an accountant without a degree?

If you read my above comments I said that if someone knows they want to be something that requires a degree then university is good in that aspect for them to study to get closer to the career they need the degree in. I was more emphasising the individuals who go to university for the sake of it without considering what they want to be or if they actually require a degree to get there as well as the pressure put on students who achieve high grades to go to university by their teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending