The Student Room Group

Music first post

Hi this is my first post I’ve been doing music gcse. Ima only grade 1 piano I used to play guitar.I did music because my teacher said it’s enjoyable and when I was year 7 to year 9 I would get the highest grade in my class so I thought I would get high grades at music. When my teacher said we had to do a duet performance and solo performance that’s when I began to panic.I wasn’t grade 7,8,9 like all my classmates.Also my piano teacher questioned me saying why did I take it. I thought it was easy.Well now I have a all summer and from now to practise grade 4 pieces and i don’t know if I’ll be able to make it as GCSEs are next year and we have to do it through face time. I just want to know if it’s possible, because I’m panicking way too much.Also I’m in year 10 going to year 11.Please if anyone can give more advice for me.
you are in for a challenge and your teacher has not done you any favours here. You cannot get maximum marks on the 2 performance elements unless your pieces are grade 5 standard or higher so that is a big ask from someone at grade 1.
My daughter did music because she thought it was an easy choice but it wasn't really - for her the performances were fine as she was grade 6/7 in 2 instruments but she didn't like the composition at all.
At least you have plenty of free time to get those pieces as good as possible - start slowly and build up the muscle memory for the pieces by practicing every day, maybe more than once a day.
Reply 2
Hi! I did music gcse last year, and I can tell you your teacher shouldn't have advised you to take it! Music is a tough subject, but if you're struggling with the grade 4 piano pieces I would move down a grade. They do mark your performance down for doing a grade below standard, however you will get much better marks doing a lower grade piece perfectly than if you play a higher grade piece badly trust me. The examiners can tell if your piece is too difficult for you! Im not sure what exam board you're on, but some will deduct the same amount of marks whether you're on grade 3 or grade 1 so it makes no difference. The key to performance is staying calm ( i learnt this the hard way when I would freeze up in the middle of my piano recitals haha) so don't stress out too much, the performance is only part of your grade! Do a piece you're comfortable with even if you wont get as many marks, and focus on your theory and composition.

Hope this helped! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending